Author Topic: Trailer Music  (Read 11695 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Spread the love, not the hate.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Yes, let's just forget about criticism. Nevermind, Goober! This trailer is perfect. Don't change a thing.

BlackDove might have gone a bit overboard, but that kind of 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' mindset really pisses me off. The thread's for discussion about the trailer, right? But - whoops! - only the circle jerk kind. Wonderful.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I didn't delete that post... :nervous:

I've undeleted it.  I think it was spoken in jest anyway. :)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
That's why it bothered me, actually. Everyone who was voicing their displeasure was doing so in a more or less sensible manner. Certainly nobody was saying anything worth disappearing a page of the thread over.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow.  Um, ok.  Didn't notice that an entire page was missing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:18:52 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I had actually deleted all the posts that were talking about the music and nothing else, to try and get the thread back on track. You know... moderating the discussion. :blah:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, I see.  Well, I do appreciate it, but as long as that's not the only thing people talk about, I don't mind having them in this thread. ;)  If it does get to be a problem, we can split the music posts off into their own thread, where people can gush or rant to their heart's content.

So, let's get back on topic, people!  What did you notice about the trailer that intrigued you? :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:24:21 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Shiku

This trailer was a severe disapointment after the first teaser.

1. The Music. Blackdove pretty much summed up everything I would say, so just re-read his post. (I did have to watch it on mute)

2. The game play footage was so damn generic it could have come from any mod or even main campaign, I couldn't make out anything specific to ST, just (seemingly) random dogfighting.

3. The Resolution/Old Graphics. Between the archaic graphics and the small resolution I had trouble making out much of anything happening in the clips. Perhaps using the original graphics was to imply that ST:R would be compatible with retail Freespace, but it just took away from the overall for me.  (Even 6.7.8 build would have been nice) Some shots from outside the HUD would have been nice, as it was all I could focus on was the poor aim of the pilot. I know you guys can and have done better.

I was really hoping for better, especially after the Teaser which did everything right, teasing us with hints of what was to come and only revealing a partial (in construction) shot of the Hades, establishing a sense of anticipation.

After watching this I threw it in the recycle bin and just watched the first teaser again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 05:27:18 pm by Shiku »
No one becomes depraved all at once.

I followed Snipes quite wide and far,
And he led us to an unknown star,
But as soon as I surveyed the scene,
A great Sathanas did fill my screen,
As it rushed forward for a jump,
The both of us seemed destined to bump,
Until I heard Snipes, not too quiet,
“Dive, Dive!! Hit your burners, pilot!!!!” -Trayus

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This trailer was a severe disapointment after the first teaser.

1. The Music. Blackdove pretty much summed up everything I would say, so just re-read his post. (I did have to watch it on mute)
K.  Well, as I said, I've been wanting to use the music ever since I heard it in the Two Towers.  Would you have had the same reaction if this trailer had come out in 2002?

2. The game play footage was so damn generic it could have come from any mod or even main cut scenes, I couldn't make out anything specific to ST, just (seemingly) random dogfighting.
Quite honestly, you must not have been paying very close attention then. :p  The trailer is chock full of Silent Threat-specific scenes.  Several (admittedly minor) spoilers are included, and if you read the dialogue on the HUD you might even be able to figure out some information about the plot.

Incidentally, I worked closely with a professional video production artist while putting this together.  None of those scenes are "generic".  They're all in there for a reason.  The order, the synchronization with the music, and the juxtaposition are all important.

3. The Resolution/Old Graphics. Between the archaic graphics and the small resolution I had trouble making out much of anything happening in the clips. Perhaps using the original graphics was to imply that ST:R would be compatible with retail Freespace, but it just took away from the overall for me.  (Even 6.7.8 build would have been nice) Some shots from outside the HUD would have been nice, as it was all I could focus on was the poor aim of the pilot. I know you guys can and have done better.
This choice was made for purely technical reasons.  At the time I recorded the videos, GameCam had a bug that prevented it from working under OpenGL.  (I think that bug has since been fixed.)  Also, any version of the SCP more recent than 3.5.5 crashed when running Direct3D under GameCam.  So, I used 3.5.5.  FRAPS wasn't an option because I have never been able to get FRAPS to record smoothly on my computer.

And did you watch the downloadable video or the YouTube version?  The downloadable video has a much higher resolution.  Which is sort of required if you want to find the biggest Easter egg of all.

Offline Shiku

And did you watch the downloadable video or the YouTube version?  The downloadable video has a much higher resolution.  Which is sort of required if you want to find the biggest Easter egg of all.

I first watched it on Youtube, after downloading it and watching it again I can see that my "generic scenes" shot was unfounded.

This choice was made for purely technical reasons.  At the time I recorded the videos, GameCam had a bug that prevented it from working under OpenGL.

Fair enough, I still would have liked to see more modern graphics, but if it can't be helped, it can't be helped.

Well, as I said, I've been wanting to use the music ever since I heard it in the Two Towers.  Would you have had the same reaction if this trailer had come out in 2002?

In 2002? probably not, because I hadn't had to watch EVERY ****ING FANBOY OF ANYTHING EVER use it for their personal video. But even then I wouldn't have been happy with it.

I was pissed off at Peter Jackson for using it in the Two Towers Trailer. The songs were composed for Requiem for a Dream (made in 2000) and were best used there. (if you haven't seen Requiem, I highly recommend it.)

The music was my biggest problem with the trailer. Putting it on mute and playing other music on my computer made for a much better trailer.
No one becomes depraved all at once.

I followed Snipes quite wide and far,
And he led us to an unknown star,
But as soon as I surveyed the scene,
A great Sathanas did fill my screen,
As it rushed forward for a jump,
The both of us seemed destined to bump,
Until I heard Snipes, not too quiet,
“Dive, Dive!! Hit your burners, pilot!!!!” -Trayus

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Incidentally, I worked closely with a professional video production artist while putting this together.
I don't really want to be an ass about this and neither do I particularly want to draw out this discussion, but I was surprised when you told me this in IM and I'm surprised now. How closely do you mean, here? Did this professional just help a bit, or did he put the whole thing together based on your instructions?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I was pissed off at Peter Jackson for using it in the Two Towers Trailer. The songs were composed for Requiem for a Dream (made in 2000) and were best used there. (if you haven't seen Requiem, I highly recommend it.)
Interesting.  I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream, so I can't comment there.

The music was my biggest problem with the trailer. Putting it on mute and playing other music on my computer made for a much better trailer.
Gotcha.

I don't really want to be an ass about this and neither do I particularly want to draw out this discussion, but I was surprised when you told me this in IM and I'm surprised now. How closely do you mean, here? Did this professional just help a bit, or did he put the whole thing together based on your instructions?
Well, to be fair, I did most of the work -- I recorded the in-game footage, wrote the text for all the captions, and drew up the timeline of scenes.  He compiled the scenes in his production studio and did the special effects.  But he and I had several discussions about what scenes to use, what sort of dramatic effect I wanted to achieve, what the timing and placement should be, etc.

It helped that we were friends in high school. :)  Here is his website.  He's done stuff for news channels, the Miss America pageant, commercials, weddings, etc.  He's very prolific.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:46:05 pm by Goober5000 »

Well, to be fair, I did most of the work -- I recorded the in-game footage, wrote the text for all the captions, and drew up the timeline of scenes.  He compiled the scenes in his production studio and did the special effects.  But he and I had several discussions about what scenes to use, what sort of dramatic effect I wanted to achieve, what the timing and placement should be, etc.

The text was the best part of the trailer imo. Not necessarily the effect along with it, just what was said.  I especially liked the "this war's not even over yet . . . . and they're already getting ready for the next" haha

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The text was the best part of the trailer imo. Not necessarily the effect along with it, just what was said.  I especially liked the "this war's not even over yet . . . . and they're already getting ready for the next" haha
Thanks. :)

That particular snippet of text I got from an episode of Deep Space 9, Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges.  It fit so well with the ST:R plot I figured I'd use it. :)

While I can't do anything about the trailer itself, if you want different music....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBu74nNgqXk

I think Requiem for a Dream is fine, but for freespace, more action is needed.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
:doubt:

I preferred Requiem for a Dream to that ... it sets the mood better too ...

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
how about the music used in this B5 ACTA trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJazgTo2H0Q at 00:53 - 01:28. I think it would be appropriate.

Unfortunatly i dont know the name of the piece so i dont know where to download it. If anyone knows what it's called, please tell me, then maybe it could be used in a trailer
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I agree with the music complaints.  It just makes the trailer feel cheap to me.  :doubt:

Don't you just love when overuse ruins great music?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, but I took the opposite view: All those slapdash noob videos using the RfaD music felt cheap, so I thought the music deserved to be used in a well-done trailer to counterbalance all of the others out. :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Actually, the only issue I have is with the font.

Since Goober wanted to use the music in his trailer, let him do it. I mean, I used Descent: FreeSpace trailer music in this, so why can't he use that?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?