Author Topic: Analysis and speculation  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Analysis and speculation
Bad news.  In the past couple of days, the 1st Fleet detected and neutralized several dozen Shivan scouting patrols in the Sol system.  Nothing more than fighters at the moment, but today the SD Lucifer reappeared on sensors for the first time in weeks.  Guess where we think it's heading.  If you've got any family or friends on Earth, try to discreetly convince them to take an off-planet vacation for a week or so.

Here's the good news.  We've been able to translate those Ancient records -- or enough to get the information we need, anyway -- and it looks like we might actually be able to beat the Lucifer.  The only question is whether we'll be able to do it before it reaches Earth; I have a sick feeling we may not be able to.

I don't hate the Vasudans anymore.  That doesn't mean I want to be all buddy-buddy with any of them, but I'm no longer out for revenge.  The desolation of their home planet more than paid for all of the atrocities they committed during the T-V war; I have no desire to demand anything past that.

I am, however, pretty worried about whether we deserve the same thing.  Someone has to be pulling the strings up there; the discovery of those Ancient records was the single greatest instance of good timing in all of Terran history.  But if there is such a thing as karma, and if Vasudans have taken their medicine, then we're next in line.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Re: Analysis and speculation
Oh noes! All hands to the escape pods, release imminent!

:pimp:

Am I a funny little man or what?
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline MikeRoz

This thread was originally titled "Deduction and inference" for some reason.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is there a code in this one too?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Is there a code in this one too?
Not that I can see.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
Well, judging by the way things are going, I'd say we don't have long to wait before we hear about the Bastion attempting to intercept the Lucifer.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Should be next week or a fortnight
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then I suppose once the Great War is over, STR will be released.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
So early mid December i believe

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The Teaser said Christmas specifically.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Looks like the jump node is set to collapse on Christmas Eve.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MikeRoz

Since ST:R starts the day the node collapses :p
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline Vip

Aye, though remember about one detail. IIRC in the very first command briefing of ST, the briefing officer tells us that the node quickly proved too unstable for travel, and after several days/weeks it collapsed completely. So Lucy explosion =/= node collapse, I believe.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline MikeRoz

My point was that there was a bit of time between the end of FS1 and the start of ST.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
I've always figured Silent Threat starting shortly after the Destruction of the Lucifer.

1-2 weeks minimum
4 weeks/1 month most likely
1.5 months at the most

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

ST =/= ST:R, so...

Offline Nuclear1

I'm sure Goob's trying to stick to canon as much as possible.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline CaptJosh

Problem is, according to the end cutscene of The Great War, the jump NODES from Sol were rendered unuseable. So why do people keep forgetting that little detail?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Because it was retconned by FS2.

(Oh, and don't look now, but we have a crucial new word of the day. :p)

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
My way of thinking is that the the 3 Nodes in Sol were (until March 2335) in a tight cluster formation like the 3 Nodes in Alpha Centauri.
-When the Lucifer Exploded, the blast was of sufficient magnitude to collapse all three.
-Sometime prior to 2367, it was determined that only the Sol-Delta Serpentis Node showed any real chance of recovery, despite (or prehaps -because of) the Lucifer detonated whilst inside it.*
-As a result, the Sol-Beta Aquilae and Sol-Deneb Nodes were stricken from the Maps.
-Increased study of Subspace Nodes, following the collapse of the Sol Nodes determined that many Nodes were sufficiently unstable enough that that they could collapse due to prolonged combat within them.
-Following these findings, travel through these nodes was forbbiden (except for the gravest of emergencies) until such time they could be stabilised.
-To control the use of these nodes, knowledge of them was classified to the highest levels, and the nodes themselves were stricken from the official maps.
----
Anyway, ive just had another Revelation on that Vasudan letter...

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit