Author Topic: [OOC] Making it Public  (Read 13104 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
[OOC] Making it Public
After discussion with Galemp, I am considering making the 162 forum public.

The reason is that we want the general forum populace to understand the significance of Phoenix while the "mystery of 162" is still somewhat fresh in their minds.  After all, the trailer was released back at the beginning of October.  If we wait until the Big RevealTM of the Grand PrizeTM it will be yet another few months, and interest may unceremoniously die off.

So the proposal is to make the 162 forum public now.  Let the general public play along with the last thread if they want to.  However, in order to keep things fair for the people who have been playing Phoenix this entire time, we will release the Grand Prize via PM to all the members who were able to discover Phoenix when it was still private.  (I've run a database query to determine all the members who have posted in this forum up until now.)

We will release the Grand Prize to the public one month after we release it to you via PM.  This fits with our original plan where Phoenix was supposed to conclude on December 1, followed by the ST:R release on December 25.

Opinions, thoughts, protests?

Offline Vip

Re: [OOC] Making it Public
Well, I wanted to scream a big fat "NO" first time I've read the thread's topic, but since you will be doing us justice with the grand prize, then yeah, go ahead. Have to keep the public's interest going.
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Exactly. Public Relations is everything for a mod.

* FSF makes sure to post in here

Personally, unless you are thinking of adding some additional twists to the puzzle, this game has kind of outlived its usefulness anyway.  So, the primary goal ought to be, "How do we maximize exposure on this thing?"

I'm assuming that you are in fact planning to release Phoenix on 4/1/09.  If so, you might want to wait until mid-February so as to not give the excitement too much time to die down before you make the public release.

's your baby, though.  I expect if you do make it public, there will probably be an "ARGH!!!GOOBERRRRR!" thread before the day is out.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sounds good to me.  It really was a hell of a lot of fun, but I don't think there's any real point in keeping everything secret anymore now that we've seemingly gone through the whole game.  This was your and Galemp's puppy from the start, so whenever and however you guys decide to make it public is fine by me.  And if we get to play around with whatever big secret you're still holding behind your backs a month before the general populace, so much the better. :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I still has no idea wat is going on.

Offline Solatar

Let people in, sure.

Heck, consolidate all the puzzles into separate posts in one thread (without people's responses) so anybody who has the willpower to not cheat can go through from the start and have a go himself.

Even if somebody had already figured out a particular clue, it was still fun for me to go through and figure it out myself; why not everybody else?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I agree with Mongoose. It was great fun to be part of the once-hidden board. And since you (Goober) and Galemp made this, you have the say.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FYI, it's already public. :D

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
We know; Unread Replies says it all. ;)
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
FYI, it's already public. :D

Yeah, I noticed it listed as a subforum when viewing the ST:R forum.

So we don't have to do anything to get the grand-prize, or do we need to solve another puzzle?q

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Everyone will get it eventually, but those of us who were involved in Phoenix while it was still hidden will get it before the general public.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Incidentally what is the grand prize or is that also a mystery?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Incidentally what is the grand prize or is that also a mystery?

Who knows?  All I know is I won't get it early.  I never put the effort into solving the puzzle.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Oh bummer!  :sigh: I solved this before it went public, but then I didn't post the secret forum, just visited once in while and read some of the posts there! Does this mean I don't get the grand prize early then?  :(  :sigh:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What proof do I have that you saw the secret forum, and are not just posting this to get the grand prize early? :D