Author Topic: HUD difference: FSport and FS2  (Read 5625 times)

Offline GrrCarl

HUD difference: FSport and FS2
Hi :)

A lurker surfaces...

Was looking forward to trying STR as I remember ST being... underwhelming.
Now, I've played through most FS stuff several times, but every few months I find myself coming back and playing it all again (with the latest improvements that you guys [yes all the SCP team!] make  :yes:). This time I found myself upgrading from FSport 3.0.4 to 3.1.1. Deleted all the old stuff and redownloaded. The game launches and plays fine, but I don't like the HUD.

Like in these screenshots: FSport screenshot and FS2 SCP screenshot.

Not sure if this is how FSport vs. FS2 is supposed to be, honestly, I can't remember. I figured FSport's HUD would be quite similar to FS2 as it is running in the FS2 SCP engine. Is this normal? The targeting reticule is huge and ugly, lol. If it is indeed a retail feature, is there any way to use the "FS2 SCP-style" HUD in FSport?

I am running in 1680x1050.
SCP build "fs2_open_3_6_10r-20090322_r5114" (latest nightly) + 3.6.10 mediavps.

EDIT: I feel like an idiot. I see now that a HUD change was one of the features of the 3.1 FSport release, to make it close to the classic. I still wonder if it's possible to change the HUD to the FS2 one though? Thanks.

EDIT2: Solved! Thanks Goober.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:04:10 pm by GrrCarl »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: HUD difference: FSport and FS2
Welcome back. :)

The HUD is by design.  The latest version of the Port enables the FS1 HUD to be used in FS2 SCP.  But if you don't like it, you can turn it off by using a hud_gauges.tbl that includes the following line:
Code: [Select]
$Reticle Style: FS2
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:07:43 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline GrrCarl

Wow, thanks!

Just as I was editing my original post you reply with an answer.

Thanks alot (yes I can spell a lot!) :p! And thank you for making Freespace better, after 10 (?) years!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You're welcome. :)

Let us know what you think of ST:R. :D

Offline GrrCarl

Will do!

Oh and by the way. Making a hud_guages.tbl (or hud_gauges.tbl) changed nothing. But I snooped around in the fsport3_1_1.vp file and found a table file called "fsport-reticle-hdg.tbm".

I changed the $Reticle Style here to "FS2" and that worked brilliantly. If anyone else was wondering. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
hud_guages.tbl
You saw nothing! :nervous:

But I snooped around in the fsport3_1_1.vp file and found a table file called "fsport-reticle-hdg.tbm".

I changed the $Reticle Style here to "FS2" and that worked brilliantly. If anyone else was wondering. :)
That will work too.  But did you extract and create a new file, or edit the one in the VP?  Because you're not supposed to do the latter...

Offline GrrCarl

But did you extract and create a new file, or edit the one in the VP?  Because you're not supposed to do the latter...

Didn't even know you could edit VP file directly. I extracted it with VPVIEW32 and edited it, and put it in fsport/data/tables. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Didn't even know you could edit VP file directly. I extracted it with VPVIEW32 and edited it, and put it in fsport/data/tables. :)
That's what you're supposed to do.  But some people have tried to solve the problem on their own by editing the VP with a hex editor or a super text editor.  It's sort of like trying to attack a mosquito with a chainsaw...