Author Topic: Differences in difficulty between original Freespace 1 Retail and FSPort  (Read 4611 times)

Differences in difficulty between original Freespace 1 Retail and FSPort
Good morning!

After a lot of years since playing Freespace 1 Retail for the last time, I found out about FSPort and Freespace Open. I love to play this classic game with enhanced graphics at properly modern resolutions, thanks for the work that has been done.

I am using Freespace Open 3.6.10 with FSPort 3.1.1 and proceeded until "Enter the Dragon" so far, playing on medium difficulty. What takes some fun away, however, is the fact that it has been a total cakewalk so far. My wingman are so good, it's like they would be totally fine without me. I am actually having difficulties to kill many ships, because my wingman are faster doing that most of the time.

Now as I said: It has been some years since I played Freespace 1 Retail, so my memories have faded a bit. But I am quite sure it wasn't such a cakewalk back then and that I would definitely remember if my wingmen had performed so extremely well.

Am I right here or is my memory betraying me? Is the balancing (especially regarding the AI) quite different between Freespace 1 Retail and FSPort? Of course I could increase the difficulty, but from what I read my wingmen would be even better then (as would the enemies), so this also wouldn't give me the original Freespace 1 Retail balancing.

Is there any solution to fix this like a way to play the retail Freespace 1 in highres? And I suppose when playing Freespace 2 with Freespace Open I will have the original balancing at least in Freespace 2, since it is not a port and the original missions are being used?

Thanks in advance for the enlightening on this topic! :)

Regards,
Stefan

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: Differences in difficulty between original Freespace 1 Retail and FSPort
I dunno... I played FSPort recently after a very long dry spell of no Freespace at all (7.5 years) and the difficulty seemed about what I remembered. I did play it on Ace though. I'm pretty sure that the FSPort people have gone out of their way to make everything as FS1-like as possible, including even some of the quirks.

P.S. Can we get a welcome beam over here for astronic? :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
:welcomesilver:

Well, the missiles behave quite differently between FS1 and FSPort from what I have heard (read - they're a lot better at hitting their targets), which may explain why your wingmen do so well.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Actually, I found that the retail FreeSpace 1 version was much easier. For example, I had difficulties with a lot of missions in the FSPort that I would otherwise pass for the first time in retail. My wingmen usually died more easily in the FSPort.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

It seems pretty similar to me. Try playing on Insane...  :D