Author Topic: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp  (Read 18414 times)

Offline Tarvis

Re: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp
Right, sorry for seemingly abandoning this, but I've recently started over in terms of hard drive (wiped HDD and switched to Windows 7)

Because of this I don't have everything setup yet to continue working on this.
(Note I didn't delete the files however, silly :P)

Just hang in there.

(Also that Bastion animation offset seems to be gone, but there is still the problem of miscolored pixels in the sparky_hi version, also the order of animations displayed isn't correct. I feel this warrants it's own topic though.)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
RE: Briefing Icons. FS1 had only one icon for each ship class; they didn't separate them out by species, so an Orion and a Demon would be using the same icon. Therefore, they had to be more generic.
We figured we'd use the FS2 style icons since we have the upgraded technology, and applied that to the ship and weapon icons too.

however, now we have icons in briefings for ships that don't exist.  perseus, seraphis, mentu, etc. appear for their granddaddy ships.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Tarvis

It would be a simple matter to replace the fighter icon (Perseus) by using a modified Ship Selection icon for, say, the Apollo (or the Valkyrie, since it is the FS1 equivalent of the Perseus)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It's in progress. :)

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Tarvis

Well anyway, I completed 2_leftarc.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
RE: Briefing Icons. FS1 had only one icon for each ship class; they didn't separate them out by species, so an Orion and a Demon would be using the same icon. Therefore, they had to be more generic.
We figured we'd use the FS2 style icons since we have the upgraded technology, and applied that to the ship and weapon icons too.

however, now we have icons in briefings for ships that don't exist.  perseus, seraphis, mentu, etc. appear for their granddaddy ships.

It's not just that. The mission with the shield convoys feature a carefully placed cargo icon on a freighter icon in the briefing. The Port version is distorted to say the least.
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's in progress. :)

I'm gonna ****ing strangle the Bast when I finally get to it.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I signed up here with the intention of overhauling all the HUD graphics myself, but you seem to be already working on it.

Let me know if you need any help!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Which ship is above the Elysium, below the Centaur and the Aten wing?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Typhon.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Question about 2_leftarc: The engine only seems to use the first frame in the ani, whats the point of the other 3?

Offline Tarvis

Question about 2_leftarc: The engine only seems to use the first frame in the ani, whats the point of the other 3?
No it doesn't. In fact, I believe it's just the opposite (the first is never used)

The second is the background of the throttle meter, which is on the left arc. This is displayed when throttle is 0. The third frame is drawn from the bottom up to a point marked by where the throttle is. That's why the throttle meter gets brighter showing your throttle, because the third frame is overlayed. I am not entirely sure about the fourth one, though I believe it is used when training missions highlight it for demonstration purposes.

I do not recall a case where the first frame is displayed.

You are correct! :)

I've been working on a set of HUD graphics for the Vasudan ships, but I'm not having much luck getting my graphics to show up instead of the original ones. The only graphics of mine that show up are the left and right arcs, the radar and a few of the targeting icons...

Any idea why that is?

Offline Tarvis

You are correct! :)

I've been working on a set of HUD graphics for the Vasudan ships, but I'm not having much luck getting my graphics to show up instead of the original ones. The only graphics of mine that show up are the left and right arcs, the radar and a few of the targeting icons...

Any idea why that is?
From my experience with this, they need to have a specific palette. Just having them all the same does not seem to be enough.

If you're using a fancy image editing program, set Index Color palette to this:

Yeah it's very picky about the colour index!

I at least figured out what my problem is - Turns out on my pc at least, the engine is using almost entirely the low res hud graphics (which I didnt change, so no difference in game) and just a few of the high res ones...

I'm thinking this is some kind of bug or my install is broken or something? Could you confirm that on your copy, the engine is displaying all the 2_ versions from the mediavps?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What resolution are you playing at?

At any rate, you may have corrupted game files. Please post an fs2_open.log (Instructions how to generate one can be found in the Support FAQ). This will let us determine what is going wrong (hopefully....).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
He doesn't have corrupted files - FS2's been doing this since retail, using low res graphics on the high res HUD.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Thanks Black Wolf - I guess if that's just the way it is, I'll work with it :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
.......... If it does, then it's a bug that should be fixed. Checking to see if the behaviour is not caused by the user's setup is the first step towards that process.

Sooner or later, someone will want to create hi-res HUD art (ISTR a thread about that, must have lost the link though). If it doesn't work because of this (undocumented) behaviour, then it needs to be either explained properly, or fixed in a way that allows the correct usage.

It comes back to me asking you, WormSlayer, for a debug log.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Debug log attached for your perusal...