Poll

Would you like to have early Avenger access for Successfully protecting the Plato?

Avenger Early?  AWESOME!
6 (12.8%)
N'ah.  I like being under armed.
7 (14.9%)
Plato Must DIE!  Anything else is Sacrilege!
5 (10.6%)
Thou shalt not tamper with canon missions!
23 (48.9%)
The Shivans are the Great Destroyers!  All Will Tremble!
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: September 26, 2010, 08:25:22 pm

Author Topic: Poll: Bonus for Plato Protectors?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Poll: Bonus for Plato Protectors?
I personally have never done this, but I came close once.  I do know that some players have reported being able to successfully defend the Plato during Mission 5, which in effect breaks the mission.  I haven't played the latest Port version, so I don't know if anything has been done with this or not.  I recall some debate about how to solve this dilemma though.  One was to simply have the Plato a self-destruct order if all the Shivans are destroyed.  The second, would be to introduce a new threat into the mission which cannot be defended against, such as having a number of Basilisks jump in at medium range and with a good-secondary-time event and launch a volley of Phoenix against it, which cannot be intercepted.  The third, would be to allow the Plato to escape in that event, but there is of course the issue of the event not corresponding to recorded messages.  There is an option of recording new messages, but the voice wouldn't jive existing ones.  In any case, if the mission were altered to allow the Plato escape if it is successfully defended, and giving a bonus objective, led to another thought of mine, that could give the player an advantage in a later mission.

Since the Plato was carrying the Avenger prototypes, it could be argued that if the Plato had survived, it might have expedited the Avenger's development, which could mean getting the Avenger one mission early.  My thought was, if the player succeeds in the afore-mentioned bonus objective, allow only one avenger cannon for "Pandora's Box".  I'm sure many of us wouldn't have minded having even one cannon for that mission.  On top of that, add a bonus objective if the player can successfully destroy all Shivan fighters... and of course add a withdrawal order for the Taranis if its in danger of getting disabled/destroyed.

I doubt that the team would support such changes to the originals, but it's a cool thought.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:53:48 pm by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Topgun

Re: Bonus for Plato Protectors?
I think its a great idea, I would totally be down with that. If people are worried about changing canon, can't this be introduced as a small patch?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The thing is, I'd count the Plato surviving in the FSPort as a bug, not a possible achievable goal.  That thing went down like it was made of tissue paper in FS1. :p

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Am I the only one who thinks that the early Shivan missions are some of the most fun in the entire FS series, simply because you ARE woefully ill-equipped against a clearly more advanced foe?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Am I the only one who thinks that the early Shivan missions are some of the most fun in the entire FS series, simply because you ARE woefully ill-equipped against a clearly more advanced foe?

And it also makes completing "impossible" objectives regardless all the more badass, and thus should be rewarded? Yes :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Yes, those were always so much fun. Just blowing one Scorpion out of the sky was the achievement of the century while using an ML-16  :lol:
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Problem is that, technically, you CAN'T defend the Plato. IIRC there is a self-destruct sexp triggered when it enters the node.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Problem is that, technically, you CAN'T defend the Plato. IIRC there is a self-destruct sexp triggered when it enters the node.

Then it was added by the Port, because I have FS1 installed and I can get the Plato to the node alive. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I'd go with the Basilisk + Phoenix solution. If you had a chance to defend the Plato, the Shivans' introduction wouldn't be as menacing as it would be with the Plato as a sure goner.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I vote for optional patch that can be downloaded and applied where by the Plato can survive and warp out of the mission but you just get an added well done in the debrief explaing how having the reserch materials and manufacturing prototypes on board will help with the maufacturing of the weapon with no other effect.

this solves the issue of the plato not warping if it survives (which if it was done by some one in this community it would get picked up on as bad testing and or not allowing for the fact that some/many players will do things not in your script) and acknowlages this sucsess without a notable violation of canon.  Also if memmory serves the player is not in a position to get special access to equipment.

I suggest this as a patch because
1. it does move slightly away from canon
2. it will be close to impossable to add the voice acting to the extra debrief stage and match it to the voice acting in place
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The thing is, I'd count the Plato surviving in the FSPort as a bug, not a possible achievable goal.  That thing went down like it was made of tissue paper in FS1. :p

In the original FS1 I was able to defend the Plato. The trick is to hound the bombers and let your wingmen tangle with the scorpions.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, and the fact you managed to do it doesn't mean you should be able to do it - just another example of a breakable retail mission.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

In the original FS1 I was able to defend the Plato. The trick is to hound the bombers and let your wingmen tangle with the scorpions.
I guess I do remember screwing it up once or twice by attacking the bombers, but I eventually learned to leave them well enough alone and let the mission proceed as planned.  Like Matt said, it's fairly clear that :v: intended the thing to blow up as a display of Shivan power, so saving the thing winds up breaking the mission.

Then it was added by the Port, because I have FS1 installed and I can get the Plato to the node alive. :P
Then you have to blow it up yourself ¬.¬
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Then you have to blow it up yourself ¬.¬

Nah, I still had Shivan bombers running around after 15 minutes, had to rearm, Plato got blown up. You have to be extremely sparing in the use of your secondaries to keep the Plato alive since the AI doesn't really react to ML-16 or disruptor fire, so you have to herd the bombers around with Furies.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Oh..from your comments..
heh.. nevermind.

Normally if I'm going all out I've killed all the shivans by the time the Plato gets to the jump node :\
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I vote for optional patch that can be downloaded and applied where by the Plato can survive and warp out of the mission but you just get an added well done in the debrief explaing how having the reserch materials and manufacturing prototypes on board will help with the maufacturing of the weapon with no other effect.

this solves the issue of the plato not warping if it survives (which if it was done by some one in this community it would get picked up on as bad testing and or not allowing for the fact that some/many players will do things not in your script) and acknowlages this sucsess without a notable violation of canon.  Also if memmory serves the player is not in a position to get special access to equipment.

I suggest this as a patch because
1. it does move slightly away from canon
2. it will be close to impossable to add the voice acting to the extra debrief stage and match it to the voice acting in place

Yeah... no. this is definitely not going to happen. If we were to do anything to that mission it would probably be giving the Shivans A-1 SOOPAR weapons. and even that's a zero to half-slim chance.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Re: Poll: Bonus for Plato Protectors?
I think that "thou shalt not tamper with canon missions" sums up my view. A self-destruct sexp would be my choice... but that's tempering with canon missions! GAH! In either case, the Plato must die! I remember that mission being one of the most iconic when I first played FS, the whole "first contact with a new enemy that ****S YOU UP!" Besides, if we get the avenger early... I dunno, I don't like the idea. Takes a way from that feeling of desperation in the first few shivan fighting missions.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:47:26 am by CommanderDJ »
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Sifle

I remember when I was about 10, I tried the Plato mission apox. 50 times not knowing that the survival of the Plato was Impossible. Congratulations Volition, you wasted 4 hours of my childhood. :(

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I also managed once to guard the damn thing and all it did was waiting for its doom at the node and I was like "jump the **** out you dumb mother****er!!!! :mad: :hopping:"
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."