Author Topic: Anger over Templar  (Read 4318 times)

Okay, I've just played through Operation Templar.
Or at least what I thought was Operation Templar, because it turned up being Operation WTF is this?!?
For rookies, Operation Templar is a good old retail FreeSpace 2 campaign. A pretty good and hard one. So why is there a Cheops installation in M4? I mean, that was, and should still be a Typhon.
Secondly, in the old one, Taurus 3 got into M3 whatever you did in M2 (where you are asked to destroy it, but irrespective of if you did it or not, it was still there in M3), why did it disappear this time?
Thirdly, most ship positions are off from how they were.
Fourt....ly I can vaguely remember a Sobek or a Mentu in M3, I'm not sure about this one, will check.

But the main idea stands. WHY did you change it? I can live with restoring a campaign, with VA-ing, with better CBanims, better models and all that but what you guys did is off. I demand you change the name of what you have now in FSPort to Operation Templar: Reborn or something, and give us the old, original Operation Templar back.
All the good,
An angered FS fan
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:41:00 pm by Galemp »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Check yourself, pilot, because the original Templar did NOT have a Typhon in M4, or Sobeks or Mentus. You're definitely mistaken about remembering the old Templar... so you're way off when you say We Changed It Now It Sucks.

Fire up FS2, start a multiplayer game, and play Templar by yourself if you want the old, original OT back.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
He has a point about calling it Operation Templar: Reborn.  The new OT is more awesome and more better than the old one.  The changes are more substantial than what we did with, for example, Awakenings or Cardinal Spear.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
But the renovation is far less drastic than it was for Silent Threat. This is still substantially the same campaign in story and gameplay, with changes of necessity rather than taste.

An OT:R would be a greatly expanded campaign that we would have free reign over.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Operation Templar v1.1?  Operation Templar: Evolved?

Okay, no Typhon in M4 and no Mentu's.
Arcadia and Edjo's. 100% sure, I have the mission opened in FRED.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Secondly, in the old one, Taurus 3 got into M3 whatever you did in M2 (where you are asked to destroy it, but irrespective of if you did it or not, it was still there in M3), why did it disappear this time?
wait, you're whining because they fixed a bug?
Thirdly, most ship positions are off from how they were.
and this is bad why? Sounds like rebalancing to me, and it doesn't break the mission or even alter it significantly.
Fourt....ly I can vaguely remember a Sobek or a Mentu in M3, I'm not sure about this one, will check.
This is FSPort, there will be no Sobeks or Mentus. Probably because they didn't exist shortly after the Great War when the HoL was being taken down.
I demand you change the name of what you have now in FSPort to Operation Templar: Reborn or something, and give us the old, original Operation Templar back.
No, you're not demanding, you're whining. And if I were a developer I wouldn't have the slightest inclination to tolerate, much less respond to, such "demands". You may well have to prove you're not fs2freak88 with that attitude.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
But the renovation is far less drastic than it was for Silent Threat. This is still substantially the same campaign in story and gameplay, with changes of necessity rather than taste.

An OT:R would be a greatly expanded campaign that we would have free reign over.

can we have a OT:R Please, pretty please with a mix of FS1/FS2 era technology, please
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Any Operation Templar: Reborn would be a follow-up to Vasudan Imperium, so you'll have to wait for that to be finished first. :p Go bug RedStreblo to get back to work.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Okay, time to say I'm sorry. I was a bit out of my league, and I went on a rampage without knowing my facts. Also, I accused the team for no purpose. I am sorry, and as it turned out, the campaign was a lot better in your form than the original. For this, I apologize.
The thing that set me off was seeing Operation Templar in the campaign room, and then finding some changes. Nothing got me raging until I saw the Cheops. Now again, I know it's a lot more appropriate to have a Cheops than an Arcadia, but I considered (and still do) Operation Templar as part of canon. Now, I drop all of my points I've made before (what could I drop, they've been smashed to pieces :lol:), but am still asking you guys to give some indication in the name of the campaign that this is not the original Templar. Although you do mention that in the readme. But it would be nicer, I think.
So, what about it?
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Operation_Templar

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well no, it's not the original Templar, any more than FSPort is the original FreeSpace. That much should be obvious.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
In the last mission of Operation Templar, I used a Serkr bomb on the GVT Nu, but instead of being destroyed, it was stuck at 9%. Launching more bombs and watching my allies fire continue to fire at it made me realize that somehow, the Nu was guardianed or became invulnerable. Is this a bug, or did I do something to trigger it somehow?

The first few times I played it, it blew up perfectly fine. It's just the last time that it didn't.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
It was invulnerable in the original mission. No idea why, but I figured it might be plot-related, so I left it.

Offline PMY

Apparently this was a bug. Command says "Hammer of Light transports escaping outpost Nagada. Intercept and destroy". So the player is supposed to destroy the Nu, not only disable it (if it escapes the secondary objective would be failed).