Author Topic: How to apply italian translation's file to fsport  (Read 2683 times)

Offline ninja81

How to apply italian translation's file to fsport
Hi, i've got a italian translation for freespace 1+exp, work in freespace vanilla but don't work with fsport

translation is formed from 2 dir 1 file:

Data\missions (many file into with extension .fsm and fsc)
Data\tables (file .tbl)
root.vp
How to work?? here is the link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=182CD33Y
tanx in advance

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: How to apply italian translation's file to fsport
It looks to me that this would take a lot of effort to get working right...The missions are the wrong format and would need to be converted. Given the state of FSPort, most of those missions (even after conversion) would still be obsolete due to bugfixes and other trickery. The table file would probably need to be reformatted. It's likely that several files contained within root.vp would need conversion as well.

The easier option, IMO, would be to edit the current missions messages and replace them with the messages from your Italian mission files. But that's also a pretty big chore and not for the faint of heart. The last problem is that it doesn't look like you have the Italian voice acting, so you would have to remove the English voice acting all together regardless.

It's certainly not impossible to make it happen, but it's going to require a good amount of effort. FSPort is currently very understaffed and cannot do this for you, however this modding community is vast and I know I've seen people doing translations before. You could seek them out and see if they might help.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ninja81

Tanx for the reply

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature

All of the XSTR texts (and they would have to be made into such, slowly working through it) for all the missions and tables would have to be done. Currently a WIP.

Then a TStrings.tbl would have to be created to match all of those, as it doesn't natively exist for FS1 That's stage 2.

Then making sure that they all line up. After that, people providing localizations shouldn't be too much of an issue.

It's just an awful lot of work. But I'm crazy and it eventually really should be done.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer

All of the XSTR texts (and they would have to be made into such, slowly working through it) for all the missions and tables would have to be done. Currently a WIP.

Then a TStrings.tbl would have to be created to match all of those, as it doesn't natively exist for FS1 That's stage 2.

Then making sure that they all line up. After that, people providing localizations shouldn't be too much of an issue.

It's just an awful lot of work. But I'm crazy and it eventually really should be done.

Do you mean that it will be a future solution to generate THIS famous "Tstrings.tbl" for a mod we want to translate (included in the code) ? Or is it only applicable for FS1 ?
Anyway, as I'm actually porting the FS1 translation to FSPort, thumbs up Zacam  :yes:
It will be vey useful.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
TStrings.tbl is the mechanism used to generate localization (Translated Strings). If you've ever wondered why you see "XSTR("Some Text", some number) in tbls and missions, this is why.

The problem of course is to generate the lookup numbers and match them up with a TStrings.tbl.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
TStrings.tbl is the mechanism used to generate localization (Translated Strings). If you've ever wondered why you see "XSTR("Some Text", some number) in tbls and missions, this is why.

The problem of course is to generate the lookup numbers and match them up with a TStrings.tbl.

I already know about the utility of the Tstrings.tbl. What I wanted to know is if it is any possibility to generate them automatically (i.e. simply having to translate the file in the convenient language, in my case french.) So we will have the strings.tbl for the interface, translated once and for all, and the tstrings.tbl for the missions. Petar91 did translate FS2 into french some time ago but, apart from the interface table who is actually usable, we can't use the missions files today because of the various upgrade made, i.e. to correct bugs or adding nameplates.
I won't made a formal request because I KNOW there is things many more important on the to-do list, and as I'm not a talented member (coder, modeler, FREDer...) I will just STFU and wait, because I can do it manually and copy-pasting it at each new release (and I can play in English, but I also think about french speakers who don't really know English.)
I know that there IS an interest on a project like this (I saw it in some threads, like THIS, THIS, THIS and THIS.
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.