Author Topic: Can't load mission Aftermath  (Read 3659 times)

Offline hamster

Can't load mission Aftermath
I used the debug .exe to see what was going on when the thing just stopped loading at the first progress block. Debug tells me stuff is being loaded until it stops at aimodel load: typhon.pof. It just stops. I've run the installer again and haven't encountered any problems except it occasionally says that the 1024x768 command animations probably didn't install properly. But when I rerun the installer the error doesn't show up. Anyway does anyone know why Typhon.pof refuses to load? Thx in advance for the assistance!

edit: also seems to be a bit of a sound bug on my end, but i never thought about mentioning it because it didn't interrupt anything. Occasionally the firing, explosion and voice sounds just completely disappear. They usually come back after a short time during the mission. Not sure if this is connected.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:17:39 am by hamster »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Can't load mission Aftermath
Have you ever attempted to view the Typhon in the techroom since the upgrade to v3.3?  If not, its probably trying to generate the .bx file for the model, which can take a bit of time depending on your machine's performance specs.  You may also have a corrupt bx file from a previous loadup, so in that event, you may wish to delete the existing bx file for the Typhon and regenerate one.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I used the debug .exe to see what was going on when the thing just stopped loading at the first progress block. Debug tells me stuff is being loaded until it stops at aimodel load: typhon.pof. It just stops. I've run the installer again and haven't encountered any problems except it occasionally says that the 1024x768 command animations probably didn't install properly. But when I rerun the installer the error doesn't show up. Anyway does anyone know why Typhon.pof refuses to load? Thx in advance for the assistance!

Generating the Typhon cache file can take a lot of time. This will definitely happen if you are using 3.6.12 and might happen if you are using a nightly build. Just let it keep going. Chances are that once the cache is built it will continue loading like normal. This also only needs to happen once. Any other times after this it will load faster.

edit: also seems to be a bit of a sound bug on my end, but i never thought about mentioning it because it didn't interrupt anything. Occasionally the firing, explosion and voice sounds just completely disappear. They usually come back after a short time during the mission. Not sure if this is connected.

That's a known code bug and not a result of FSPort.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline hamster

hey guys,

thanks for the prompt reply. I'll try and let it load. What struck me in this instance is that i loaded previous missions v. quickly so the difference got the alarm bells ringing. Anyway we'll see how it goes!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Typhon is a new High Poly model. Clocking in at  30k polies or more (don't remember). It can take a long time to build the cache file, especially on slower computers. Most other models don't get close to this poly count which means cache time is far, far less.

NOTE: You may experience a load lag once when you play ST:R as well because of the Karnak model and Hades model.

EDIT: In fact, what you can do to prevent this from happening during a mission load is let them build the cache in the lab. Here's the instructions.

• At the mainhall, press F3.
  • Choose the race of the ship (Vasudan for Karnak/Typhon, Terran for Hades).
  • Browse the list for the ship in question and click on it.
  • Click on 'Detail0' and wait for it to load.
  • As long as the music is still playing, the game is building the cache like it should be. (Though it may seem unresponsive)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline hamster

Awesome stuff. I let it load instead of hitting task manager after 40 seconds and it finished in a few minutes. Thanks for the help guys!

I had the same thing happen to me. Played the mission once with no problems, other than me getting shot to hell. When I tried to restart the mission it would not load. Tried restarting FSO and the computer, but it still wouldn't load. I removed FSPort and the VP's and tried to download via the installer, but it just skipped over them like it was still installed. Ended up downloading manually and now it works fine. Just finished FSport yesterday with no other problems. I also have the audio issues. Speech during briefings works about 70% of the time. Once in a while it will drop in game message audio. Same deal with sound effects, ie firing primaries, explosions etc. During cutscenes the audio is sometimes out of sync with the video. Doesn't effect game play and I just assumed it was because I am using the on board sound, so it's  not a big deal. besides, with all the awesome stuff that is FSO, one little issue doesn't bother me.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having the exact same problem. I tried following the advice on here and it crashes every time that I try to view any of the Typhon files in the F3 menu. It also crashes when I try to play the Aftermath mission, rather than just supposedly freezing like it did before. I think that the debugger mentioned deleting the file, but I have no idea how to download a new one. Any advice?

Just tried reinstalling everything. Same thing still happens. I'm going to see if I can just play this without the VPS stuff and see if it works.

Okay, that seems to be working.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:46:51 am by Who Wants Bagels »