Author Topic: What's New?  (Read 4215 times)

Offline hxazgalor

• Anything but Shivan
    • My Blog
Have been out of touch with HLP for a while now. Great to see things still going strong! :D

Just wanna ask, were there any new upgrades made to FSPort 3.4? I still have the FSPort files I downloaded about a year back. Should I consider re-downloading?

Thanks guys :)
"Stars looking at a planet
Watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how
The chaos in our lives could pass as sane"
~ Switchfoot, 'Stars'

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for checking in!  We do have some upgrades in the works, but they haven't been released yet.  If you downloaded the FSPort last year, then you have the most recent public release.  However, be sure to check back in a month or so, because with any luck we'll be making another release very soon.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
In the meantime, consider Frontlines if you want some Port-esque gameplay. ;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline hxazgalor

• Anything but Shivan
    • My Blog
Awesome news! Will be around to check it out. Thanks for the awesome-ness guys! :)
"Stars looking at a planet
Watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how
The chaos in our lives could pass as sane"
~ Switchfoot, 'Stars'

Offline Parias

Some crazy guy also ported the FS1 campaign to co-op - cutscenes and everything! Might be worth a look if you've been wanting an excuse to introduce the game to a friend or two. ;)

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
However, be sure to check back in a month or so, because with any luck we'll be making another release very soon.
Oh do tell, do tell.
FSPort using MVP 2014?  mjn's new and improved mainhalls?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm going to take the "or so" escape clause. ;)

I expect we'll have a patch release followed by the MVP 2014 release.

Offline BirdofPrey

I believe the Phrase is, "I can neither confirm nor deny"

I still don't understand what it is about the Media VPs that you can't automatically use the latest ones.
If I read correctly, the remastered mainhalls are finished and coding is in place to handle them (correct me if I am wrong), and that's probably the item I am most excited about since it doesn't seem like the shiny new Apollo model is going to get textured ever.  I MAY take the shiny new Medusa in my FS:P as a consolation prize.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
There is an unofficial patch that allows you to use the 2014 MVPs with the current FSPort.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86514.0
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline BirdofPrey

So, Goober, I was thinking of replaying FSPort, maybe even recording it (always say it, never do it, so take that for what it's worth which is about half a cent), but if changes are dropping soon, I might hold off.
What sort of timeframe are we talking for this update you're teasing?  A few weeks or a few months?

Was also thinking of playing ST:R (never done so, GASP), and that's affected by this as well if I am not mistaken.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
GASP!

Yes, ST:R will definitely be affected by this.  Changes will be dropping extremely soon... in fact, we had hoped to release it by New Year's but we're still waiting on something from MjnMixael.

Now, if you want to play with the 2014 MVPs, that's a little farther out.  It might be a couple of months before FSPort is officially 2014-compatible, because we'll be redoing the mod structure at the same time.

Offline BirdofPrey

Being that I am not a code monkey, I am eternally confused as to why campaigns have to be updated every time the new MVPs drop (I understand coding changes, but I thought the MVPs were just multimedia upgrades, so I don't get how new models and textures break the code).  What from the 2014 MVPs that FS:O uses isn't in the old ones?  I am thinking the Medusa and GVA cruisers right but nothing else comes to mind. 

Waiting on Mjn, though huh?  Color me very intrigued.  I do hope it's mainhalls, or maybe more cutscenes.  hmmm
Now, if only someone would texture Hades' apollo. . .  At least the Orion is making progress again  can you say MVP 2015?

On a side note I was on Dan Wentdz' soundcloud and noticed he recently posted up ST:R themes.  Are those new or just newly posted?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Being that I am not a code monkey, I am eternally confused as to why campaigns have to be updated every time the new MVPs drop (I understand coding changes, but I thought the MVPs were just multimedia upgrades, so I don't get how new models and textures break the code).  What from the 2014 MVPs that FS:O uses isn't in the old ones?  I am thinking the Medusa and GVA cruisers right but nothing else comes to mind.

Your confusion is reflected in your question, which is one of those "not even wrong" concepts.  So I'll just toss it out and say: no, just because there is an update to the MVPs does not mean that a campaign has to be updated.  On the contrary, the multimedia upgrades cascade through the other mods and introduce new dependencies and conflicts.

Offline BirdofPrey

I know it doesn't break everything, and that plenty of stuff works with the new stuff just as well as the old stuff.
  It's those dependencies and conflicts that have me confused.  Is there anything related to the assets themselves that cause those to crop up or is it just that when a file gets renamed old mods and campaigns can't find it because they are looking for the old name?  Or is there some other cause I am missing?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Some things are changed, like ship model names.  Some things are fixed, like hud_gauges coordinates.  Sometimes the MVP models have things like optional animated subsystems which we have to modify our tables to accommodate.  There isn't one all-encompassing reason.  It's a lot of little things.

If our mod consisted solely of a campaign and some missions, then you could run it on whatever MVP version you wanted.  But we also provide table edits and model modifications, and sometimes those can interact with the MVPs in unexpected ways.