Author Topic: Esarai's Fleetpack - New Content 06-13-2011  (Read 82622 times)

Offline Molaris

Re: Esarai's Fleetpack - New Content 06-13-2011
between this and Inferno 2, I don't know how much longer I can wait for the colossal amount of AMAZING flying my/our way
"Hey, Mike, you think you can toss me my calculations? Thanks! Ah, here it is: "Breach Hull - All Die." Even had it underlined!" -Crow T. Robot-

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Okay I think I got carried away: http://p3d.in/NBaew
Triangulated this is 64788 polies, and it lives inside the Horizon.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I know we have detail boxes and all, but that thing looks way too detailed, a good texture would suffice for half the polies in that reactor.

Edit: The pipes. Looking in wireframe mode, they have too many polies, you should try optimizing them, esarai.

My 2 cents.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The inner pipes for sure you could get away with fewer sides. The big ones you probably don't want to reduce, but the small ones (and even the medium ones) in the center yes you can save quite a few there. :nod:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I know we have detail boxes and all, but that thing looks way too detailed.

It doesn't really look detailed anyhow. Just the ubercurvy pipes and ubercurvy everything. 60k+ polygons sounded like something.. more?..
But once you optimize it to 10-15k triangulated, it'll be a nice addition :yes:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
but, but... CUUUUURRRVVVES.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Luis Dias

esarai, 32 sides in cylinders that are extremely small, almost invisible to everyone else is hilariously exagerated. Give those 6 sides and let the smoothing shaders do their work. The rest, try to be conservative as hell. You could, theoretically, bring that baby to less than 5k without any single discernible degeneration of quality.

my 2 cents.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
personally I use 8/16/32 sides because of it working better with subdividing to join the cylinder to the rest of the object.

the issue with low pollies on things like pipes is that though smooth shaders gives a nice gradient, only situation where you look at an end or a significant bend you can actually see the ends of the face which is really jarring to look at.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

I personally never join cylinders to the rest of the object. Doing that is practically prostrating yourself and begging for boolean/lighting/smoothing errors. Why would you do that when it just drives up the polygon count and adds potential for error with absolutely no benefit (the game treats them as disconnected as long as they're not smoothed together anyway due to the POF file format so don't bring up that bull**** about open/closed/non manifold because it doesn't make a bit of difference)

Okay, okay, the one benefit is that you might save a *bit* of UV Space. Big whoop.
(´・ω・`)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
dosnt that just cause issues with PCS2's MoI calculations?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

No.

AFAIK that just looks at the bounding boxes/radii. I don't think it has a fancy volume-filling algorithm.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I personally think he should make all of the pipes 64 sided.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Here's my proposal, esarai.

Make the pipes 8 sided for in-game use and keep that model for the inevitable CGI "blow up ship from inside" victory movie. Erry vodi vvins!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Good suggestion. I've noticed that there are 32-sided pipes which are not only dinky, but completely obscured by the tokamak. This could be reduced a lot without anyone noticing.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
esarai, 32 sides in cylinders that are extremely small, almost invisible to everyone else is hilariously exaggerated. Give those 6 sides and let the smoothing shaders do their work.

I'll tell you more, you could try to fake roundness even more with a normal map. Bake normal map to smooth 6-sided pipe from smooth 32/64/whateversided pipe and check the results. With minor UV tricks, you should get practically perfect roundness :P

Offline Luis Dias

Kobrar, you do realise that the end result is *exactly* the same between smoothing out the shader and making a normal map, right? Although I agree with you, the result is still neat.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
Kobrar, you do realise that the end result is *exactly* the same between smoothing out the shader and making a normal map, right? Although I agree with you, the result is still neat.
I remember seeing difference when I tried this myself so I'm not sure if its exactly "exactly" the same, but I don't really know the smoothing algorithms, so whatever you say..

I personally like the detail even though it maybe impractical for the game.   :eek:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Eh... you'll only ever see one of these at a time, so the poly count can be a lot higher than for other objects of comparable size. Now if only there were a way to conditionally not render everything outside the reactor chamber  :drevil:

You could also have the Horizon's LOD1 be the same as LOD0 on the outside, with the reactor turning into a tetrahedron whenever the player isn't inside the hull.