Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102150 times)

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Ya know, over the years while playing I've had many, MANY thoughts of "why didn't they just....", but for the life of me I can't recall a single one of them now.  Will post if any come back to me.

Oh, one just struck me.  Capital ships being invulnerable to fighter weapons.  Uhg.  I get the idea, and a reduction factor would certainly be appropriate, but I think it would be better to still have the ability to kill things given enough time with primaries.  For example the Moloch in the nebula mission where you have to protect the Aquitaine as it is repaired (I really suck at remembering mission names).

No, you can enable the Aquataine to kill the Moloch; you just have to play the level on Medium or higher difficulty and you have to stay within range of the Moloch because you're providing sensor support.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Lorric

Oh, one just struck me.  Capital ships being invulnerable to fighter weapons.  Uhg.  I get the idea, and a reduction factor would certainly be appropriate, but I think it would be better to still have the ability to kill things given enough time with primaries.  For example the Moloch in the nebula mission where you have to protect the Aquitaine as it is repaired (I really suck at remembering mission names).
I completely disagree with this.  The idea that a lone fighter could kill a 2-3km destroyer (or even an 800m corvette) with nothing but the FS2 equivalent to 20mm guns is just dumb.   Hell, I advocated giving all destroyers the supercap flag and only giving that flag to bombs and other dedicated antiship weapons.
I also like the fact fighters can't kill the bigger ships.

The Moloch mission is a pain, but it can still be EMP'd to death.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ya know, over the years while playing I've had many, MANY thoughts of "why didn't they just....", but for the life of me I can't recall a single one of them now.  Will post if any come back to me.

No, you can enable the Aquataine to kill the Moloch; you just have to play the level on Medium or higher difficulty and you have to stay within range of the Moloch because you're providing sensor support.

Now you can TAG her too.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Do something about the Maxim

The Maxim is almost certainly intentional, given the point at which you get it in the campaign you're flying a Serapis and the caps will eat you alive if you have to close. Literally the first mission you get it it's there so you don't have to close with a bunch of highly explosive gas miners.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Now you can TAG her too.

hahaha yeah! "Tag! You're it, b*tch! Go for it, Aquataine!"
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

In the Mission "Proving Grounds" seems to be a Bug.

I complete the Mission with the Aquitaine escaping and get a successfull Debriefing.
However i cant go to the next Mission. It keeps on telling me that i failed the Mission.

sadpanda.jpg

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IIRC that's been fixed recently, please rerun the installer or manually install the current bpc-core file.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Correct, that got hot fixed.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Major complaint:
BP's team hatred for ambient lighting.
I already noticed Fs2 blue being so absurdly dark (it made me increase my not already insignificant launcher ambient light setting from 120 to 140, to little avail), but I just realized its because ambient lighting is set to 0 in the mission files. (Unlike their retail values).
It makes things so incredibly hard to see that I simply cannot comprehend why this is considered a good thing by anyone. Please increase these values!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

We're actively looking for more suggestions, ideas, and things to fix! This is a beginning, not an end. You've got sixteen years of experience with this game. Speak up!

I don't know how much of the storyline you would like to touch, but there is this:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86136

Also, maybe fixing the command briefing where the Vasudan commander says "The Colossus sustained moderate damage" after High Noon, even though it didn't get a scratch (given, that could have been fixed with your in-mission changes, but that always bothered me).

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It sustained damage driving its cannons hard enough to destroy the Sathanas.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And got owned by the Sathanas' secondary beam batteries :blueplanet:

I have no idea why the ambient lighting is zero, I can look at that. What the ****. I literally used the retail missions!

First, I'd like to say that I love the FS2 plot. FS1 had a more epic finale IMO, but overall FS2 was more in depth. But there was always one part that seemed strange to me. After the events of "Straight, No Chaser", the player naturally would be shaken up a bit, with the discovery of a second Sathanas. In the debriefing however, the Vasudan squad leader (do we ever get his name?) says that there are multiple Juggernauts in the nebula. He says this in such a "Oh, by the way..." manner that it doesn't give much weight to the revelation. Also, in "Into the Lion's Den", Snipes refers to the Sathanas that almost hits you as "Sathanas Number 3" instead of number 8 or 13 or something. If he knew about the second Sathanas, shouldn't he also know about the others, even if he and/or command doesn't know the exact number? I think that at some point, the plot was changed and that changing it back would make the whole story that much better.

You have the player and everyone else think that there is only a second Sathanas headed to Capella. That would still initiate the evacuation of the Nebula (and the continuing evacuation of Capella too). Rescuing the Aquitaine in the next mission would still make sense. By the way, in that mission ("Argonautica"), there is an unused debriefing stage applauding you for sighting the (singular) Shivan juggernaut.

When you get to "Into the Lion's Den", the revelation of a THIRD sathanas will be even more shocking, kinda literally. And each new Sathanas sighted will make it even more menacing, making it a very dramatic slow reveal instead of a ho-hum "By the way...". Snipes' comments would make much more sense ("We got to warn the Alliance!"). In the success debriefing, he says that he warned the Alliance that multiple Juggernauts are headed to Capella. That wouldn't make much sense if they already knew that. You could have Xinny and Zero mildly freaking out (why don't they talk in the mission?) to add to the drama. This mission is already pretty epic and I think that a few changes would make it even more epic, along with the entire storyline.

As far as I can see, the only changes needed would be the debrief for "Straight, No Chaser", saying that there is only another Sathanas, and the Command Brief for "Exodus", officially revealing the existence of multiple Juggernauts, since the SOC missions are optional.

This is interesting but I don't see a realistic way to implement it with existing voice assets.

Offline CT27

A relatively minor issue:

In the third mission of FS2 (called "Roman Blunder" IIRC), the Psamtik is sent in to help with enemy cruisers.  However, it never fires its capital beams.  Admittedly this doesn't matter for the Fenris, but it was in position to fire on the Leviathan.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's actually talked up in the Hatshepsut tech description. She's using main beam power to charge her drives.

Last week I just finished my replay of BP and the original campaign, now I feel obligated to do it again  :shaking:.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I dont know how willing you are to change missions up completely, but king's gambit literally plays itself. No player input required.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I noticed that! It's easy as hell. What's up with that? I remember it being pretty challenging...

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but where are the Tech Room Intelligence entries?  All I see is a "Notice" saying that I need to update my links???
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
They're in the new "database".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Play in campaign mode, click 'database' on the briefing screen.