FreeSpace Releases > Asset Releases

FS2 Cockpit, Thrust, and Glide Mod

<< < (2/8) > >>

Iain Baker:
Awesome, thank you.

Small request - the current cockpit mod on Knossos prevents you from seeing backwards. If you look back - for example, with the 'hat' on a joystick - all you see is the headrest of the pilot's chair. If there is any way around this it would be great. One possible workaround would be to make the rear view transparent so you can see through the ship. Apparently, this is what the helmet used on the F35 does now - the pilot can even look down through the plane!? What the pilot sees is an overlay or similar taken from the cameras. If we can do it now I'm pretty sure we can still do it in 23XX  :lol:

In fact, if the whole cockpit was transparent, this would work nicely with head tracking software such as TrakIR5. The degree of transparency could perhaps be something that could set s an option?

Just a thought, and keep up the good work  :yes:

Reythan:
Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind. My alpha version did just that but I had some issues with compatibility across all ships without removing the entire hull. Which then defeated the purpose of free look and took away from immersion.

I’m exploring workarounds by utilizing multiple eyepoints around the ship and binding the views to them. I actually took that idea from the F35 and Apache HUDs on how they connect to image sensors across the air-frame. So we are thinking along the same lines.

The problem I have is that freelook only binds to one eyepoint (maybe I can write a script to bypass this but I’m still exploring the library of functions on SCP to see what is possible, if you know of something let me know) so the views and free look will be different.

The next version I put out will fix this problem since in some ships left right and up view just show you a wall as well.

Any other opinions let me know. My days off will be this. So whatever is priority for the community I will work on.

Colonol Dekker:
Hell of an introduction.   
Thanks for your efforts bud. :yes:

Reythan:
Thank you.

Just updated so that all the ships I modded have reverse afterburners (looks pretty cool since you can see the flame tails). I will be trying to figure out the pilot views today before I have to put this down for a bit.

If you come across anything wrong or have any more suggestions let me know.

Reythan:

--- Quote from: Iain Baker on July 06, 2022, 03:51:10 pm ---
In fact, if the whole cockpit was transparent, this would work nicely with head tracking software such as TrakIR5. The degree of transparency could perhaps be something that could set s an option?

--- End quote ---

Gave this a shot while I am learning the functions built into scripting and how I can bind views to separate eye points. Coming from the world of racing sims we have access to multiple cameras. It seems things are a bit more rigid here in terms of camera definitions (or views). It could just be my interpretation of functionality so I could very well be wrong. Still learning my way around the wiki and forums here. You guys document very well.

Anyways tell me if this is what you were thinking. It is only implemented on the Perseus right now. If it's something desirable I'll consider expending effort to do it across the range or at least write a script to do it for me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y2hOjZmznKTEmp3E9jcZ8xaG3yRgVufs/view?usp=sharing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version