Author Topic: High Resolution UI system  (Read 33340 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: High Resolution UI system
Okay this is just dark magic now.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Getting close to a major milestone in my mind with ship and weapon select showing some life.

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Online Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Sweet, although are the ships in the selection column supposed to flash like that? I’m thinking it might cause problems for those with photosensitivity issues. If the flashing is deliberate then an option to turn it off would be welcome 😊👍 cheers
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's flashing because the new UI can't use just a single frame from the retail animated icon files. I haven't tried to solve that problem yet, but mostly likely new single image files will be required. The retail ones are too low resolution anyway.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here's a quick preview of everything that's done so far. Will make a release of all of this very soon. Only two steps remain: handling the ship/weapon select icons properly and writing a briefing music handler to keep or stop music correctly between UIs.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I noticed that the spacing between the lines of text in Command Briefings isn't consistent.

Have you tried with the flags to enable 3D models of ships and weapons in the loadout screen yet?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
3D models is handled except for the icons so far. That bit is still being worked out how to accomplish.

So I tested SCPUI on my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor and noticed a lot of 'smushing' going on with the different UI elements. Seems like an easy solution for ultrawide would be to significantly scale down the UI elements while scaling up the font somewhat to compensate, or perhaps place a cap on how much the UI elements can scale up with larger resolutions. I tried taking screenshots of most menus so you can see how they look, but let me know if I forgot any.

Here goes:

1. Pilot selection. (Oversized GTVA logo, and create, clone, and delete buttons are placed too low)

2. Barracks. (Stats overlap with pilot selection, and squadron logo overlaps with character image)

3. Campaign selection. (GTVA logo overlaps with campaign description textbox)

4. Options. (Oversized elements almost overlap with each other)

5. Detail. (Same as #4)

6. Preferences. (Potentially same as #4)

7. Multiplayer. (Potentially same as #4)

8. Technical database. (Help and options overlap with 3D ship display, and data textbox is cut off at the bottom)

9. Mission simulator. (Selection box is cut off at the bottom)

10. Cutscenes. (Cutscene description textbox is cut off at the bottom)

11. Credits. (Credits image box, credits textbox, and exit button overlap)

12. Ship selection. (Ship selection box, and stats textbox overlap. Help and options and 3D ship display slightly overlap)

13. Weapon selection. (Wing loadout propagate button is too large, secondary weapon selection box is cut off at the bottom, and weapon icon placement does not match background graphic)

14. Command briefing. (Intel animation is cut off at the bottom)

15. Briefing. (Briefing text completely cut off)

16. Fiction viewer. (Fiction textbox is cut off at the bottom)

17. Debriefing. (Debriefing textbox is cut off at the top)

18. Red alert. (Red alert textbox is cut off at the top, and GTVA logo overlaps with textbox)

19. GTVI/SOC loop. (Intel animation is cut off at the bottom, and SOC logo overlaps with textbox)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:42:27 pm by alpha993 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ouch. Ultrawide is probably going to need it's own CSS files. I don't think there's going to be a way to do one-size-fits all with librocket's limited CSS property compatibility. I'll think about how best to solve this and probably come up with some files for you to test soon.

I'll think about how best to solve this and probably come up with some files for you to test soon.

Sounds good. Just let me know and I'll prepare some updated screenshots for you.
Awesome job on the whole SCPUI though! This stuff is the future  :nod:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I should also add that there is a font size multiplier in Options -> Preferences. That will help with the readability part. I'm curious if it can go high enough for this use case.

This is how it looks with the fontsize at the highest setting in ultrawide:

It's good enough for my purposes, but there could be other ultrawide users who might want it to go higher.

Online Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
This is looking great. Quick question - would this override custom UIs? Herkie is thinking of creating a pretty custom UI for the Reunion update, but I’m thinking he should hold fire for now until this goes live incase it overwrites his hard work. Your thoughts?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
This is great for reference. I'm going to create an entirely different user interface, all the screens and all the button icons.  :)

EDIT: but I will hold for now until this new FS2 user interface project will be complete.

This is looking great. Quick question - would this override custom UIs? Herkie is thinking of creating a pretty custom UI for the Reunion update, but I’m thinking he should hold fire for now until this goes live incase it overwrites his hard work. Your thoughts?
This doesn't "overwrite" anything, it's scripts and css files, mod data like anything else (Mjn correct me if I'm wrong here). If you want it, you can use the files Mjn is making which mimic the look and feel of the retail interface. Or you could make your own files for a completely different, but still dynamic UI.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
In practical terms it kind of does 'overwrite' it, or more properly override, since a user sees only the new script-driven UI and not the old screen that a modder might have customized. They don't use the same interface images or anything, so a reskinning like in TBG won't carry over without extra work
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."