Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)  (Read 44068 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.1 (launcher / mod installer)
Oh, this is really cool! Is there a way to import the installation lists and stuff from the old java launcher/installer so Knossos is fully-featured to download more campaigns?
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Also it, uh, doesn't work for me at all, I can install it fine, but once I launch it for the first time none of the three buttons do anything at all. I'm on win10.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
There isn't (not yet anyway) but whenever you install a new mod, Knossos checks if you already have the required files and only downloads missing or changed files.
That said Knossos can still launch already installed mods. It won't be able to notify you about updates or repair the files.

EDIT: Damn. Can you please post your %APPDATA%\Knossos\log.txt?

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
It's quite literally just "INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.4.1 on PyQt5."

It might be because I have a ! in my windows profile name, but surely it would throw errors if that were the case?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That shouldn't be a problem. Can you please go to Settings > Game settings and set the FS2 path manually?

It seems like at least the welcome page is broken on Windows (Joshua reported a similar issue earlier).

EDIT: Just figured out what caused this bug. Will be fixed in the next release, until then the three buttons on the welcome page are broken on all platforms.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:29:35 pm by ngld »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Whenever I click on settings I get the Windows busy pointer for a few seconds and then nothing happens.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
It works! Yay! But now I'm wondering why it doesn't detect FRED...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry, found the bug thanks to the automatic error reporting. Will be fixed in the next release.
I need to add more error messages and check the old code again.

If you want to continue testing, you can use another launcher to save your FSO settings. Afterwards the settings window should work again.

It works! Yay! But now I'm wondering why it doesn't detect FRED...
If you install a recent nightly through Knossos, it might work. It doesn't recognize existing FRED executables thanks to a mistake I made (and already fixed in git).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also I think the launcher should provide a sane default for your FSO install directory — what is that sane default, though?

If we wanted to a provide a Current User/All Users type of option on certain platforms, that could be the difference between ~/games and /usr/share/games (I think that's a pretty typical location for *nix anyway).  Macs should probably do ~/something.  Not sure of a good place for Knossos content there, but I imagine this and many other problems have already been solved by Steam, since we're nearly duplicating that behavior.  In fact, many questions being asked here could be answered by asking "How does Steam/Galaxy do it?"  They are already solved problems, so no need to reinvent the wheel.  If we have a good reason to do it differently, so be it, but I think doing the research into how those clients behave will at least help us answer the majority of questions about how a system like this should behave.  People getting paid to figure this stuff out have already been doing it for years.  And where there is room for improvement or something that better fits our ecosystem, we can diverge.

Also, as for documentation, I'd prefer the UI flow be intuitive enough that reading a lot of text isn't necessary - that, even more so than translations, would be a huge boost to the ability for international users to pick up on it.  The more that can inferred simply from graphics and near-universal keywords, images, etc, the better.  Aside from configuring the actual purchase transaction, how much reading is required to install a game on steam?  See a pretty looking game, look at some screenshots, click the comically large Buy button, and once you pay it is installing.  GOG Galaxy goes a step farther with their visual library presentation, which allows you to pick your game from a large picture of its box and then just hit Play.  Lots to be learned from these UX examples and room for improvement too.  Looking forward to mjn.mixael's ideas here.

No mod ever needs the 3D selection flags enabled; if the 2D art isn't present/defined, the 3D model is used automatically.

Hear hear.  I'd love to see that option gone.  And many others.  I'm sure there's a few people that like 'forcing' these behavior changes on, but many of these are probably not worth the CLI clutter.  Especially if we want to streamline FSO's configuration into a new environment.

Alternatively: Knossos/FS2 so you have a clean folder to have those TCs in.
I don't particularly like that idea, myself; imagine if your current FS2 install was in wxLauncher/FS2 and you wanted to switch to Knossos.

If we are planning on copying the retail FS2 data from wherever it might already be installed into the Knossos environment, this would actually be fine.  I think starting with support for GOG, Steam, and manual install location is a pretty critical requirement, as getting FS2 itself configured and/or installed into Knossos is pretty much a dependency for anything else, and supporting the different means it could have been acquired by a newcomer is therefore a high priority.  I still think copying the VPs into Knossos and leaving the existing install behind, if using a Steam install or a separate retail or prior install will result in the sanest environment for Knossos to work with.  My previous suggested structure sounds in line with what Joshua was suggesting.  One giant Knossos content folder (separate from the Knossos install itself probably) with folders for each TC, with FS2 itself being treated as a TC, with simply a special case for how its root content is acquired.   After that, FS2, Diaspora, TBP, etc can all be on equal ground.  Minimizing the amount of special treatment, and additionally keeping it to just the initial setup process, should lead to an easier to maintain project, that can have features added more rapidly.

I'm not fully caught up on the thread yet, but I do just want to bring up something about fsnebula.org. I do think it would be useful to have it look pretty, just so we could throw a weblink to a mod's page to people or in like in social media posts. So someone who might not have FS or Knossos installed might happen across a link, be impressed with the quality and start their way to the world of FreeSpace modding. With Steam, store pages render the same in your own browser or in steam itself (obviously because its all just html anyway). Just a thought anyway!

Agree.  Mods should be able to publicly showcase on the website as well as within the client.  However, if one has to take priority over the other initially, that would probably be ok.  I think the web appearance can be focused on after the client look, but if it makes sense to try to unify them somehow, that might work best.  Since both are presented via html, that might not be impossible.

Knossos should be able to directly open the Debug Logs or the folder to the Debug Logs.. or for bonus points, automatically upload them to somewhere and offer players a link they can post to the forums.

Useful idea, but I think this one is not as critical as some other core functionality for the most viable product offering.  It doesn't mean much to someone just wanting to install and run games.  Debugging features that help us out can probably be in a later revision.  But now that I think about it, an influx of new users will almost certainly mean an influx of bug reports...so maybe it's not such a bad idea.  But I'm really hoping we can design something that, by design, minimizes the possibility of 'user error', which has often in our case really been design error.

Where is Nebula hosted? Are we taking advantage of anyone here? If ngld died in the next 15 seconds, would we be able to mourn and then still maintain Nebula?

I had also attempted to set up the nebula on my own server at one point to see how hard a mirror, etc would be to set up.  Didn't quite get it.

Oh, this is really cool! Is there a way to import the installation lists and stuff from the old java launcher/installer so Knossos is fully-featured to download more campaigns?

Personally I am hoping that each mod will be brought over one at a time, as I think there will be more information needed than what the old installer files provided.  Although an importer on the Nebula portal to get what data is available (file locations, hashes) might be nice, if that data would be useful to Nebula.

There isn't (not yet anyway) but whenever you install a new mod, Knossos checks if you already have the required files and only downloads missing or changed files.
That said Knossos can still launch already installed mods. It won't be able to notify you about updates or repair the files.

EDIT: Damn. Can you please post your %APPDATA%\Knossos\log.txt?

This is nice that it is already complete, although I would have argued that supporting existing mod installations could have waited or been omitted entirely.  I mentioned this in IRC earlier, but I feel like solving problems that only exist now, but won't after Knossos is considered widely adopted and won't exist anymore, don't need to be solved at all.  I don't think people will avoid using it simply because it wouldn't work with existing FS2 and TC installs.  But if it already can to some extent, that's cool too.  If we did move to a system that groups all installed content under a single Knossos directory space, that could still come in handy if we wanted to support people taking existing downloaded data and placing it into the right folder name.  I think following the KISS principle and not worrying about supporting edge cases like that is still going to be the more maintainable option though.  Down the line, supporting things to help modders create new mods could probably be built in, taking much of the initial mod bootstrap out of the hands of the user.  A button that makes a new mod folder for the given TC, with a mod.json or mod.ini or whatever basic field editor (or even a default template), a data folder, and an option to open that folder in your Explorer/Finder/etc.  A link to a good wiki page on what to do next then would probably suffice.  Then maybe even a VP packager and uploader integration to your Nebular account.  Those last things could probably be a later phase.  The first part would let people start working, without having to really manually muck with the rest of the filesystem.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Man! Now that Avast has accepted the installer as a friendly file, it wants to interrogate the actual Knossos.exe? I guess? I suppose this would be a problem with any .exe we distribute.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Wait until you try updating! Avast manages to get its knickers into such a twist that I suspect I could install magnets and get my computer to power itself. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Also, as for documentation, I'd prefer the UI flow be intuitive enough that reading a lot of text isn't necessary - that, even more so than translations, would be a huge boost to the ability for international users to pick up on it.  The more that can inferred simply from graphics and near-universal keywords, images, etc, the better.  Aside from configuring the actual purchase transaction, how much reading is required to install a game on steam?  See a pretty looking game, look at some screenshots, click the comically large Buy button, and once you pay it is installing.  GOG Galaxy goes a step farther with their visual library presentation, which allows you to pick your game from a large picture of its box and then just hit Play.  Lots to be learned from these UX examples and room for improvement too.  Looking forward to mjn.mixael's ideas here.

Obviously it'd be ideal if we could give users such a simple presentation, but unlike Steam and GOG we have to work in an environment where copyright bull**** forbids us from providing the core copy of a 20-year-old game to build an installation off. The user has to buy that on their own, it's not something Knossos can automate. It's an unavoidable complication of the install process and you need to make it clear and understandable in the UI. The (really crude) mockup I posted earlier was modelled off Battuta's install guide for Blue Planet and his 'find your next campaign' guide: make it clear to the user what they should do to get what they want.

(Obviously this doesn't apply to the TCs, which can and should have glossy one-click installs up front.)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Also I think the launcher should provide a sane default for your FSO install directory — what is that sane default, though?

If we wanted to a provide a Current User/All Users type of option on certain platforms, that could be the difference between ~/games and /usr/share/games (I think that's a pretty typical location for *nix anyway).  Macs should probably do ~/something.  Not sure of a good place for Knossos content there, but I imagine this and many other problems have already been solved by Steam, since we're nearly duplicating that behavior.  In fact, many questions being asked here could be answered by asking "How does Steam/Galaxy do it?"  They are already solved problems, so no need to reinvent the wheel.  If we have a good reason to do it differently, so be it, but I think doing the research into how those clients behave will at least help us answer the majority of questions about how a system like this should behave.  People getting paid to figure this stuff out have already been doing it for years.  And where there is room for improvement or something that better fits our ecosystem, we can diverge.
On Linux users usually can only write to ~ which rules out /usr/share/games. Steam uses ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps but I don't think putting the whole content directory in a hidden directory is a good idea in our case. GOG Galaxy still hasn't been released for Linux (although they eventually want AFAIK).
Windows is more flexible: Steam uses C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps and the GOG installer uses C:\GOG Games\Freespace2. Since Vista (I think?) most programs don't have write access to the "Program Files" folder which explains GOG's decision. I think Steam modifies the folder permissions or something like that to work around this problem.

Also, as for documentation, I'd prefer the UI flow be intuitive enough that reading a lot of text isn't necessary - that, even more so than translations, would be a huge boost to the ability for international users to pick up on it.  The more that can inferred simply from graphics and near-universal keywords, images, etc, the better. [...]  Looking forward to mjn.mixael's ideas here.
I agree. This is one of the reasons I'm asking for feedback and improvements.

Obviously it'd be ideal if we could give users such a simple presentation, but unlike Steam and GOG we have to work in an environment where copyright bull**** forbids us from providing the core copy of a 20-year-old game to build an installation off. The user has to buy that on their own, it's not something Knossos can automate. It's an unavoidable complication of the install process and you need to make it clear and understandable in the UI. The (really crude) mockup I posted earlier was modelled off Battuta's install guide for Blue Planet and his 'find your next campaign' guide: make it clear to the user what they should do to get what they want.
I think it makes more sense to link to a guide which explains how to buy and download the GOG Installer than to explain it in the UI.

If we are planning on copying the retail FS2 data from wherever it might already be installed into the Knossos environment, this would actually be fine.  I think starting with support for GOG, Steam, and manual install location is a pretty critical requirement, as getting FS2 itself configured and/or installed into Knossos is pretty much a dependency for anything else, and supporting the different means it could have been acquired by a newcomer is therefore a high priority.  I still think copying the VPs into Knossos and leaving the existing install behind, if using a Steam install or a separate retail or prior install will result in the sanest environment for Knossos to work with.
On first launch Knossos could check a list of known paths for retail files and if it finds any, a new button "Use your FS2 installation (pick this if you're not sure which one you need)" (or something like that) would show up on the welcome page. If the user clicks that button, Knossos would ask for an installation directory and then copy all the retail files. This should cover a majority of new players (on Windows at least).
Something I'd like to know is if it's possible to download FS2 on Linux using Steam. I don't think so but I'm not sure.

My previous suggested structure sounds in line with what Joshua was suggesting.  One giant Knossos content folder (separate from the Knossos install itself probably) with folders for each TC, with FS2 itself being treated as a TC, with simply a special case for how its root content is acquired.   After that, FS2, Diaspora, TBP, etc can all be on equal ground.  Minimizing the amount of special treatment, and additionally keeping it to just the initial setup process, should lead to an easier to maintain project, that can have features added more rapidly.
This sounds like it could indeed simplify my work a bit. Most of this will work with the existing metadata schema. The only thing missing is a type for TC mods (i.e. a fanmade mission or campaign for Disaspora) which I can easily add.

Agree.  Mods should be able to publicly showcase on the website as well as within the client.  However, if one has to take priority over the other initially, that would probably be ok.  I think the web appearance can be focused on after the client look, but if it makes sense to try to unify them somehow, that might work best.  Since both are presented via html, that might not be impossible.
It's quite possible. The browser embedded in Knossos is based on Chromium. It's capable of displaying a normal website (including modern stuff like HTML5 videos).

Knossos should be able to directly open the Debug Logs or the folder to the Debug Logs.. or for bonus points, automatically upload them to somewhere and offer players a link they can post to the forums.

Useful idea, but I think this one is not as critical as some other core functionality for the most viable product offering.  It doesn't mean much to someone just wanting to install and run games.  Debugging features that help us out can probably be in a later revision. [...]
[/quote]
As I said in an earlier post: The button is already implemented in the released version of Knossos.

I had also attempted to set up the nebula on my own server at one point to see how hard a mirror, etc would be to set up.  Didn't quite get it.
I'll write up a proper installation guide.

Personally I am hoping that each mod will be brought over one at a time, as I think there will be more information needed than what the old installer files provided.  Although an importer on the Nebula portal to get what data is available (file locations, hashes) might be nice, if that data would be useful to Nebula.
Importing existing file locations or hashes isn't possible because Knossos and Nebula need more data than the FSO installer files provide (this was the main reason Nebula was created). Importing the existing title, description, logo and mirror URLs does make sense though. However, it might be faster to copy those by hand than to write an automated importer for this.

This is nice that it is already complete, although I would have argued that supporting existing mod installations could have waited or been omitted entirely.
The code to support mod.ini files is at this point more than 2 years old and less than 100 lines of code.

I mentioned this in IRC earlier, but I feel like solving problems that only exist now, but won't after Knossos is considered widely adopted and won't exist anymore, don't need to be solved at all.  I don't think people will avoid using it simply because it wouldn't work with existing FS2 and TC installs.  But if it already can to some extent, that's cool too.
Back when I started this I thought that supporting existing installs was a key requirement. Guess I was wrong. :)

Down the line, supporting things to help modders create new mods could probably be built in, taking much of the initial mod bootstrap out of the hands of the user.  A button that makes a new mod folder for the given TC, with a mod.json or mod.ini or whatever basic field editor (or even a default template), a data folder, and an option to open that folder in your Explorer/Finder/etc.  A link to a good wiki page on what to do next then would probably suffice.  Then maybe even a VP packager and uploader integration to your Nebular account.  Those last things could probably be a later phase.  The first part would let people start working, without having to really manually muck with the rest of the filesystem.
Those are great ideas (I've thought about an uploader to Nebula in the past because it'd allow me to do most of the validation before the mod is uploaded); I'll put them on the to do list.

Wait until you try updating! Avast manages to get its knickers into such a twist that I suspect I could install magnets and get my computer to power itself. :)
I've looked for a way to avoid these warnings but the only way I found would be to sign the .exe files (which in itself wouldn't be a problem) but it would require me to buy a signing certificate for $ 60/year (or more depending on where you buy it).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
On first launch Knossos could check a list of known paths for retail files and if it finds any, a new button "Use your FS2 installation (pick this if you're not sure which one you need)" (or something like that) would show up on the welcome page. If the user clicks that button, Knossos would ask for an installation directory and then copy all the retail files. This should cover a majority of new players (on Windows at least).
Something I'd like to know is if it's possible to download FS2 on Linux using Steam. I don't think so but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure you can't download FS2 on Linux using Steam. Steam doesn't let you install games that aren't valid for the current OS (unless there's some hidden option I'm not aware of... and presuming that you don't install & run the Windows version of Steam under Wine).

edit: oh yeah, I'm happy to help out with some cash for a signing certificate... just need to figure out how to use paypal or something  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I think that's something that we should point out in any installation guide we're going to create. It won't matter to Windows users but might be important for unexperienced Linux or Mac users.

EDIT: I appreciate the cash offer but I don't want to beg for something like this, especially since it'd be a recurring cost. For transparency's sake: The $ 60 / year price is taken from StartSSL.com's page. After reading through the page more carfully it seems that the actual certificate is valid for 2 years which means that I'd only have to pay the $ 60 once every 2 years. That actually seems affordable. I'll think about it....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:23:24 am by ngld »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can't believe the typos in the essay I wrote last night.  I really did mean "should be possible", which hopefully is obvious from how the context was flowing.  And I meant Nebula not Nebular :p

Linux, just like Windows, can get elevated permissions to install to globally accessible locations, can't it?  Not saying we have to support that, but it can be done.  /usr/share/games would be the equiv of program files on Windows basically, or some folder like that.  I think allowing it to ask for those permissions at the right point in the process without having to run as admin/root would be ideal.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think that's typically done with sudo; and it's graphical equivalents like gksudo. But TBH I don't really think it's required, for instance GoG Games for Linux default to installing in your homedir (~/GoG Games/NAME) and don't bother prompting to elevate privs.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Works for me then.  Users can always chown if they want.

Edit:  s/crown/chown. Damn phone auto-correct.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:19:04 am by chief1983 »

I think it makes more sense to link to a guide which explains how to buy and download the GOG Installer than to explain it in the UI.

If people read guides then we wouldn't need Knossos as much as we do. There is a ton of value in being able to direct people to an install process that holds their hand and tells them what to do at each step.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I am an avid reader of guides and still hugely appreciate it when I don't actually have to do that.