Author Topic: Video game reviews are just pathetic  (Read 12907 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: Video game reviews are just pathetic
I see somebody is cranky.  I didn't like every change they made to the gameplay model in Oblivion, but I absolutely loved the quests andd having all dialogue voiced.  Plus the game is gorgeous and huge.  If the enemy autoleveling wasn't an official part of the game, it would be almost perfect.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

There's a better one out there, but I can't find it.

Considering Game Revolution gave Halo 3 an A-.
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

They also just gave Assassin's Creed an A-, and made fun of other reviewers who've been panning it by pointing out they're not playing it correctly.

Quote from: Game Revolution
Assassin’s Creed has been getting some mixed reviews, and I know why. You can take some people to a park, and they’ll come back an hour later with the information that it has 1.2 miles of path, a regular slide, a twisty slide, and some swings. But they won’t have actually played on the slide, enjoyed a sunny day, taken off their shoes to run through the grass, or climbed the tree that they forgot to catalog. The goal of Assassin’s Creed is to play the game, not get to the end.
Playing a sandbox title just so you can get to the end does sound pretty miserable.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm kind of annoyed that UT3 has been panned a bit for being "unoriginal", getting, say, 8's or 8.5s. Yes, the console interface is bad, but taking a whole point from a game just because of the UI? Or panning it because it doesn't do anything new (someone actually said "The Deathmatch isn't anything new" or something to that effect), while at the same time giving Halo 3 an almost perfect score, when the latter's multiplayer was the same as every other shooter out there? It irks me. Granted, it's a pretty old school shooter, but that's why people play it and like it.

IMO anyway :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm kind of annoyed that UT3 has been panned a bit for being "unoriginal", getting, say, 8's or 8.5s. Yes, the console interface is bad, but taking a whole point from a game just because of the UI? Or panning it because it doesn't do anything new (someone actually said "The Deathmatch isn't anything new" or something to that effect), while at the same time giving Halo 3 an almost perfect score, when the latter's multiplayer was the same as every other shooter out there? It irks me. Granted, it's a pretty old school shooter, but that's why people play it and like it.

You don't really get Halo 3 for the multi. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Yeah, you get it for the piss-poor singleplayer campaign, before realizing that you'll have to play the multiplayer just to get your moneys worth. :doubt:

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
And to make matters worse, doesnt U3 has a actual story now?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Not really. Turns out the singleplayer 'campaign' is exactly the same sort of deal as the previous UT games, except there are a bunch of cutscenes between the matches now. It's still essentially a tutorial mode for the multiplayer.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, you get it for the piss-poor singleplayer campaign, before realizing that you'll have to play the multiplayer just to get your moneys worth. :doubt:

I smell a controversial opinion not held by the majority.

A Feddie Story

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
What's that, ngtm1r? People like Halo?

Surely you jest!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Halo is all about the multiplayer, come on. Halo 2 was really just a multiplayer patch and engine upgrade for Halo 1. Granted, Halo 3 was more about the story, but once people finished it it was only a short hop to the multiplayer - look how many new features they added in.

And anyway, if you bought UT3 for the singleplayer, you definately bought it for the wrong reason :p

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Halo is all about the multiplayer, come on. Halo 2 was really just a multiplayer patch and engine upgrade for Halo 1. Granted, Halo 3 was more about the story, but once people finished it it was only a short hop to the multiplayer - look how many new features they added in.
For the people who really dug Halo 2's multiplayer, Halo 3 was awesome. It upgraded an already solid and fun multiplayer system and made it even better. Of course, not everyone really dug Halo 2's multiplayer. There were also people who really dug Halo 2's story and wanted to see a nice conclusion. We got ****ing shafted in that regard.

The multiplayer-lovers got what they wanted; a patch for Halo 2 multiplayer. The singleplayer-lovers got a short, incoherent campaign nowhere near as fun or innovative as Halo 2's. Multiplayer was clearly the focus, and that's ****ing bull****. You'll have to forgive me to expect Bungie to at the very least maintain the quality of Halo's singleplayer, rather than compromising it to put a hell of a lot more effort into multiplayer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:19:44 pm by Mefustae »

I didn't think the main storyline of Halo 2 was that bad. I mean, sure not quite as good as Halo 1, and the cliffhanger was just cruel, but the cliffhanger aside, it was still pretty good. I especially liked the Arbiter's story, since before that we never really got a good look from the Covenant perspective.

I really think everyone who says Halo 2's story sucked are basing that claim almost solely on the cliffhanger ending.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I didn't think the main storyline of Halo 2 was that bad. I mean, sure not quite as good as Halo 1, and the cliffhanger was just cruel, but the cliffhanger aside, it was still pretty good. I especially liked the Arbiter's story, since before that we never really got a good look from the Covenant perspective.

I really think everyone who says Halo 2's story sucked are basing that claim almost solely on the cliffhanger ending.
Is that an arbitrary statement, or directed at me? If so, you might want to read my post again.

*reads Mefustae's post*

It was rather an arbitrary statement, yes, but I was including you in it. I see you were talking about Halo 3's story. Sorry.

I still think Halo 3 had a decent enough story. I honestly can't really think of a better way to tie it all up.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The multiplayer-lovers got what they wanted; a patch for Halo 2 multiplayer. The singleplayer-lovers got a short, incoherent campaign nowhere near as fun or innovative as Halo 2's. Multiplayer was clearly the focus, and that's ****ing bull****. You'll have to forgive me to expect Bungie to at the very least maintain the quality of Halo's singleplayer, rather than compromising it to put a hell of a lot more effort into multiplayer.

I think you're off you're rocker, personally, since Halo 2's campaign was by general consensus at the time a badly nerfed version of the first game; they made a vast array of silly and stupid changes to what they brought from the first game, meaning that it could never capture the feel of Halo 1 because that would have been impossible for the player to survive. They did, I admit, draw a wrong conclusion by eliminating the Arbiter storyline, but it was a collateral casuality from undoing the stupidities introduced in Halo 2. Not everything about 2 was bad; making something without redeeming virtue is difficult. Still, as a collateral casuality, it was acceptable.

Halo 3 was closer to the original, close enough to definitely have some of its feel, but it was also its own game and marched to its own tune. And it was better than its predecessors in most if not all ways. I can only think of one thing that seriously annoyed me about it. Halo 2 had a long list.

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Some interesting developments over at Gamespot, pertinent to this discussion:

"Gamespot Editor Fired Over [negative] Kane & Lynch Review?"

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Rumour: Eidos pressures Gamespot to sack reviewer over bad review, and succeeds.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/rumor-gamespots-editorial-director-fired-over-kane-and-lynch-rev/

If this is true, Eidos AND Gamespot are going to land themselves in a whole pile of crap with consumers, at the very least with this one.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Rumour: Eidos pressures Gamespot to sack reviewer over bad review, and succeeds.
This should probably be merged with the video game reviews suck thread. As definitive proof. Someone tell a moderator. Oh wait you are a moderator. Oh well. Anyway. I would like to say I find this story astonishing, but I don't, and I doubt anyone else who used to read video game reviews will be astonished either. Word of mouth FTW.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Rumour: Eidos pressures Gamespot to sack reviewer over bad review, and succeeds.
Good idea, I'll merge it in.