Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578654 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
why aren't we seeing any of this?: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/838839-100-thaumcraft-121-updated-on-812012/
because, single player mod? all those mods gimper listed? yeah, forget them in multi.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
why aren't we seeing any of this?: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/838839-100-thaumcraft-121-updated-on-812012/
because, single player mod? all those mods gimper listed? yeah, forget them in multi.

I thought it said it was SMP compatible in there somewhere. Then again, I might have misread due to my oft overlooking of acronyms.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Hmms yeh minimap is probs a good option too, havn't used one myself. Optifine however is overkill if you don't need it, and due to the amount of base class edits it makes, its incompatible with a lot of mods. So if you just want the fog gone its better to go with the smaller mod.
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yogbox! Combining too many mods to count!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

I thought it said it was SMP compatible in there somewhere. Then again, I might have misread due to my oft overlooking of acronyms.
smp mods, if not bukkit, have a good old tendency of ****ing up almost everything, since you have to manually **** with the server jar.

and updating gets a metric ****ton more complicated.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
So, found the cause of the server troubles. Just got a message from the provider:
Hello,

If you're getting this message, that means your IP address is currently victim of a Denial of Service attack, also know as DDoS/DoS attack.  Our service provider is currently working on mitigating the attack right now so in the meantime your server will not be accessible until they have fixed the issue for us.  If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.
WELP.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:43:52 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Bloody Anons, ****ing with our cubic fetish creativity.  :mad:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hmms yeh minimap is probs a good option too, havn't used one myself. Optifine however is overkill if you don't need it, and due to the amount of base class edits it makes, its incompatible with a lot of mods. So if you just want the fog gone its better to go with the smaller mod.

Optifine, even if you don't need it, optimizes code... Thats like saying "you don't need to run the SSE2 version of FSO, you can run the non-SSE version just fine". This aspect should be done in vanilla MC already.

On top of that, optifine gives high-res (x256) texture support, zoom, and a massive number of controls like particles, animations, mipmap, detail levels, weather/cloud control, multi-threading (if you chose that version) and more. It's also 100% compatible with multiplayer, which, considering most of the people here play on one of the servers, is kinda a big deal. (Who wants to play single player anyway? So boring, no one to show stuff to.)

Don't go putting down the single best MC mod ever made.  :P
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline watsisname

I can confirm KyadCK's love of Optifine.

Simply the ability to change texture packs without having to quit to the main menu was what sold me, everything else it does it just diamonds on the cake.  Err... icing.  On the pig?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:55:32 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i prefer spoutcraft myself. it includes optifine and a helluva lot more.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Yeah, Optifine gets my vote too. I'm interested to see what can be done with spoutcraft and the new Spout server in development. Also, the server-client mod communication planned for spout server/spoutcraft will be extremely interesting.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
Yogbox! Combining too many mods to count!

Ew....

Yogbox is crap. Some of the mods may be good on their own, but when you mix that many together you get a heap of redundant and duplicated functionality, as well as a ton of game balance issues, and a heap of useless add ons that do nothing but detract from gameplay because there's so many from each mod you can't keep track. Not to mention the amount of pain mod packs give mod authors, when a bunch of yogaboos come into their forum threads and complain that their mod doesn't work: "Y U NO MAEK UR MOD COMPATIBLE WITH YOGBOX AND ITS THOUSANDS OF BASE CLASS EDITS HURDUR"

It's like if you went and installed Better Than Wolves, Buildcraft, and Industrial Craft all at the same time. BTW would become completely useless, because theres nothing it can do that BC and IC can't do better. But if you play BTW on it's own it's an epic mod, it's not as powerful as BC and IC sure, but it fits the vanilla gameplay so much better, and has a proper tech tree that you have to navigate through with hard work...no easy skipping right to the most powerful stuff at the end.

If you really want that many mods, it's better to make several copies of your minecraft installation with a selection of mods on each. That way you don't get a lot of redundant mods conflicting with each other, and when you want a different play style you switch to your other minecraft installation.

So, found the cause of the server troubles. Just got a message from the provider:
Hello,

If you're getting this message, that means your IP address is currently victim of a Denial of Service attack, also know as DDoS/DoS attack.  Our service provider is currently working on mitigating the attack right now so in the meantime your server will not be accessible until they have fixed the issue for us.  If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.
WELP.

o.o who would wanna devote all those resources to shutting down a small minecraft server that has like max 3 players on at a time?

Or is there something else important at your IP?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:22:32 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken