Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578674 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
not to mention have qaz or rhx said you can advertise the server? even to the "select" few you have

I was't aware it was forbiden to talk about it.
Oh wait - it isn't.
Don't tell me people aren't allowed to bring in friends to have a look around?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think Grimper's officially the mad wizard of crazy redstone contraptions.  That iron golem farm he set up still gets me.

I think Grimper's officially the mad wizard of crazy redstone contraptions.  That iron golem farm he set up still gets me.

Speaking of redstone, did you get that elevator/dumbwaiter of yours working properly?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yes I did, finally, though with the piston delay change in 1.3, who knows. :D One of the show-stopping bugs gumming up the works involved a certain piston behaving differently in north/south orientation in east/west...or to put it more correctly, it flat-out didn't work in one of those directions.  I wound up brute-forcing it by just making a torch AND gate instead.  I think the only other big issue in the end was the RS-NOR latch resetting itself; I had to use repeaters on delay at some of the inputs to prevent it from flip-flopping every time I triggered it.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
not to mention have qaz or rhx said you can advertise the server? even to the "select" few you have

I was't aware it was forbiden to talk about it.
Oh wait - it isn't.
Don't tell me people aren't allowed to bring in friends to have a look around?
I'm pretty sure there was an  occasion earlier in this thread where I've said I don't want it advertised publically or the IP given out (I'd find it, but looking through over 3500 posts? No thanks). Also there's a difference between friends and a couple of people off the minecraft forums. The main issue lies in sorting out greifing and server messages. If you've got a close friend, you can tell them what's going on, but trying to communicate and giving complete strangers a voice in how the server is being run is bloody difficult, especially when they're not on a central forum or thread like this one. And yes, I could post a link to this thread in the MOTD, but how many people do you really expect will read it or make an account to report griefing? Hell, tommoex usually talks to me over facebook when he needs any griefing sorted out. The point being, you're the one who is going to have to keep them udated when it comes to server news, and if you can't do that regularly (over what, minecraft forums PMs?), then why the hell are you advertising it?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:59:30 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I know qaz.
It's only 2 guys and I know them as well as poeple on these forums.
I wasn't giving the server IP willy-nilly.
Besides, they just wanted to see what everyone was building, especially the Fenris. I dobut they'll stick - they got their own servers on which they play.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Am I the only one here, or did anyone else just have a deja vu moment?
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Nope. Same discussion was had round about this time last year (I think).
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Nope. Same discussion was had round about this time last year (I think).

which is why i brought it up :rolleyes:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
I presume the reason for the reset at 1.3 is to take advantage of the new features 1.3 is giving us right? And the biggest advantage bar none is that most single player mods will be going multi. There's not much point in starting a completely new world if we're not going to take advantage of this, since all the new terrain stuff we can just get by exploring further out in the old map (plus the old terrain is *way* better than post 1.8 terrain)

With this in mind, I propose we start gathering opinions on mods to add to it that will be popular amongst all the regular players (by regular I mean anyone with 50+ hours of playtime in that list a couple pages back) and see if we can come to an agreement on some good ones. I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say vanilla is boring the crap out of me now, and resetting the server and keeping it vanilla is going to empty it even more than it is now.

So presuming we do go with mods, some suggestions:

- Don't mix mods that make each other redundant. The main concern here is technical mods, most of which have overlapping functionality so we should only have 1 of those.

- Keep the number of mods small (ie, no technic pack, that thing is poison and kills low end comps)

For a technical mod I would suggest Better Than Wolves. It has the ability to automate most systems, which will help a lot with resources since no one will be in creative, but requires work to get everything running. It's not ridiculously overpowered like Industrialcraft, Buildcraft or Redpower, and it fits the theme of vanilla MC (ie, no lasers or guns) so it works quite well in medieval settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVVrZqHqA8
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/253365-125-better-than-wolves-mod-the-spawn-of-the-mob-farm-v390-upd-jul-16/

For a more aesthetic mod I would suggest the Zeppelin mod. It allows you to make blocks fly, so you can build a zeppelin or plane or boat or anything you want and then fly around in it. The fenris as it is currently probably couldn't fly (it's *way* over the block limit), but if you made a smaller copy of it and pulled out all the insides it could. You could also build any fighter from the FS universe and fly that around as well..the possibilities are endless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjONXBOx5wQ&feature=player_embedded
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/488434-125-zeppelin-031-wip/

Obviously both those mods are currently single player only, but in 1.3 SP and MP merge, so they will be MP compatible 2-3 weeks after 1.3 is released (possibly longer though, this is gonna be a tough update for the more complex mods)

EDIT: By the way mongoose, I looked at your elevator and that's the same design I tried to make on the server, but I realised for any height above 10 it's completely impractical. Good thing about Better Than Wolves tho, is you can make real elevators. Making good ones (ie, multiple floors) requires some complex redstone too so it hasn't been made overly easy, still a decent challenge to get one up and running.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:23:48 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Right, I'm completely un-minecrafty. Buuuuuut i wanna see this Fenris, what do i need to download  :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Minecraft itself would be a good start... actually that's all you really need.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken