Author Topic: Intalling and the intaller  (Read 1602 times)

Intalling and the intaller
So when I open the installer I've noticed something... that freespace 2 seems to be missing. I see ports for Freespace 1, but not two. http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ is where I click on the installer. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, I tried installing just in case, and after it was done I didn't see a desktop icon for the menu to pick a mod to play like I did in the old days. I looked in the file directory and didn't see one. Please advise.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Intalling and the intaller
FreeSpace 2 is not downloadable via the installer because the Installer assumes you have a legitimate copy of FS2 installed (you can get one via GOG or Steam or the original discs)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
FreeSpace 2 is not downloadable via the installer because the Installer assumes you have a legitimate copy of FS2 installed (you can get one via GOG or Steam or the original discs)
The installer assumes you have a copy of FS2 installed at least  :p

Unless the installer is smarter than I think, and does a deep trace into the means of how the files were obtained.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Well I have Freespace 2 installed via GOG.  In the past when I used the installer it downloaded these ports of Freespace 2 with the better graphics and all that. Not there now.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You're probably talking about the MediaVPs. They're not a port since FSO is a more modern version of the FS2 engine and not an entirely new engine.
In any case... do you have a launcher? If you have one, does its mod list include the MediaVPs?

See, that is the confusing thing and I hope that I am describing items with the right terms. Using the website I posted before, I tried to download and run the free space open installer. When I asks what I want to download, I see listings for different items but not he media VP me for freespace 2. I also donMt see blue planet or a few others in fact.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
The old installer is old and confusing. Use Knossos.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline AV8R

Did I read somewhere here that Launcher 5.5g won't support some newer features/switches of FSO or FSPort?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The only supported launchers ATM are wxLauncher and Knossos. All other launchers might become incompatible with future FSO versions. For now, the legacy launchers still work and offer the same settings / flags as the newer launchers.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And Knossos is the definitely preferred solution.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns