Author Topic: Stompy Bot Productions Strikes Again  (Read 8756 times)

Re: Stompy Bot Productions Strikes Again
Oh crap, I hadn't thought of that.

I'll alter my message on our forums - thanks iVoid.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This made me download the Heavy Gear Cgi cartoon.
Nostalgia ho!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Hmmn, this makes me want to try and get my copies of HG1+2 to work. Think I need to dosbox some stuff but have never figured out how.

Heavy Gear II
Newer versions of windows don't work with some of the direct3d tricks they used in HG2 with windows 7 (really, any windows beyond 98, not just 7+).

Follow these instructions to fix it, otherwise you'll get things drawing in the wrong order (you'll see enemies behind a mountain, but not in front of it etc.);
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/heavy_gear_2_culling_fix/page1

Heavy Gear I
HG1 behaves itself a lot better, but again it uses tricks with direct draw in order to have a wider range of colours available at any given time.  Again, XP or newer will 'correct' the faulty palette and give you rainbow colours on the menu screens.  There'll be an option in the compatibility kit for doing this, but the easiest way by far is to simply close explorer.exe when you run the game and reopen it afterwards (without windows explorer running, it won't 'correct' the palette automatically and HG will fix itself in a few seconds).

3d is a little ugly unless you get the latest beta patch - it implements the then bleeding-edge direct3d calls so you can use a modern graphics card with it (rather than software rendering) which gives you some basic skyboxes, much nicer textures and things.  You could probably use a Glide wrapper if you wanted, but I'd recommend just using the d3d support that it has.  On some missions you'll find that textures only load the outside few pixels of landscape tiles which looks awful - I'm on a Radeon card so I don't know if that'll happen for everyone (it's happened on several generations of Radeon with different drivers for me), I don't remember it happening on any NVidia cards I've had, but it's still fairly rare.  If it does happen, switch to low-light mode and the game is still quite playable.

Offline Mikes

Well... no new Heavy Gear. Poop.

Not yet.
But a failed kickstarter doesn't stop a development team from making a new proposal down the road after they've put some more work into it or changed their ideas

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
Heavy Gear I
HG1 behaves itself a lot better, but again it uses tricks with direct draw in order to have a wider range of colours available at any given time.  Again, XP or newer will 'correct' the faulty palette and give you rainbow colours on the menu screens.

On some missions you'll find that textures only load the outside few pixels of landscape tiles which looks awful - I'm on a Radeon card so I don't know if that'll happen for everyone (it's happened on several generations of Radeon with different drivers for me), I don't remember it happening on any NVidia cards I've had, but it's still fairly rare.

I'm guessing you're referring to the ATI Rainbow Bug (knowing that HG1 is based off the MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries engine, I've actually suffered that bug a few times playing Mech2). Here's an example picture from Mech2.

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot, that Rainbow World picture was taken with the in-game Wireframe mode (Magnetic Resonance to identify target weaknesses/see through terrain).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:37:48 pm by Black_Yoshi1230 »
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Not yet.
But a failed kickstarter doesn't stop a development team from making a new proposal down the road after they've put some more work into it or changed their ideas
Yeah, don't count us out yet. :)

I'm guessing you're referring to the ATI Rainbow Bug (knowing that HG1 is based off the MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries engine, I've actually suffered that bug a few times playing Mech2). Here's an example picture from Mech2.
It may well be related to that - it seems like it isolates to one texture at a time (so you get square tiles) but definitely looks a lot the same, if more localised.  It does give me a couple more ideas for fixing it that I haven't tried, I'll have another look at it from that perspective some time, see if I can isolate what's causing it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Taking a page from Star Citizen's book"

Though not the book that started with "Have a good crowdfunding campaign to secure funding, follow it up with good support and heavy engagement with the community to acquire even more funding, and have a backup plan in case crowdfunding doesn't work out as well as you'd hoped", I take it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The thing that is rather grimly amusing and kind of amazing about this is that they've changed what they're actually going to do a number of times after taking people's money in the promise of doing something specific with it.

It wasn't until GBL on Dakkadakka pointed it out to Argonach that it apparently even occurred to anyone on the dev team that if they kept the money given them via their own website while continually changing their promises, it probably constituted fraud; maybe not criminal, but certainly civil.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story