Took me 2 days but I've managed to make this into a 'hybrid' mod.
That's running on my very old unused FS2 retail install with a recent SCP CVS build. This would also run on the current INF SCP mod as well. Though there are a few differences:
1. Old head anis used in SCP standard.
2. Sound files from FS2 retail are used instead of the new INF sounds, as it saves me hassle and cuts the filesize down. So it'll sound a bit different depending on what version your playing.
3. Both versions use slightly different sounds, species_defs and weapons tables due to the gutting of most of the Inferno files.
4. Possible chance of multiplayer support in SCP standard version, but no promises on that...
So how does it work on both is there are differences and more files required from the INF mod?
1. The mod is split into seperate VP files. There's Core, Music, INF_Effects and INF_Core. (though those aren't the actual filenames
To run on INF SCP you need: Core and Music only
To run on standard SCP you need: Core, Music, INF_Effects and INF_Core.
(INF_Core contains required Inferno mod files, INF_Effects is optional explosions and shockwave, though without it it'll default to retail effects)
Media VPs are NOT required for any version and probably wouldn't affect much due to the way Inferno is designed. The tables in INF_Core will override the ones in the standard Core VP, as those tables are for use with the full INF mod. HTL models in the media VPs will not work with this mod, and no HTL models are included with the mod. I don't plan on changing that since all the new ships in my fleet are non HTL.
I still have a few bugs to fix in this new version, and a few things to change, but if this works the way I want it to I can release this package before the next release of Inferno, but once the next release is out, you'll be able to use it with Inferno as well.