Author Topic: White polygons appear with damage lightning.  (Read 3159 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
White polygons appear with damage lightning.
I've just noticed that I'm starting to get white polygons appearing on ships and debris when the lighting arcs on them if they are damaged. I've also noticed that it only seems to affect the diffuse map; sometimes I can still see the glow map overlaid on the white polygons.

My video card is a HD 5770. Since when I noticed this was occurring after I'd updated the drivers to 10.11, I tried reinstalling the 10.10 drivers, but the white polygons remained.

What should I do to attempt to stop the white polygons from appearing?

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: White polygons appear with damage lightning.
Which version are you using, and have you downloaded replacement shaders (*.sdr)? I think this is a problem with the default mvps shaders and Radeon cards. There are a few fixes you can get, but I think there's an "official" pack of shaders that's newer than the ones in the mediavps. Look in the FSU or SCP (test builds) boards for new stuff.

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I'm using the 3.6.12 exe (not a nightly), as well as the 3.6.12 mediavps. I haven't downloaded the patch that came out after the 3.6.12 mediavps were released, nor do I have any .sdr files in my mediavps_3612/data directory.

The VPs I have in the mediavps_3612 folder are MV_Advanced, MV_Assets, MV_Effects, MV_RadarIcons and MV_Root.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
First of all, you should get Antipodes 7 from the Test Builds board, and the 3.6.13 MVP patch. As to the actual white polygons issue, the shaders in the 3.6.13 patch may correct the issue. Failing that... I'm not sure, one of the support gurus would have to field the question.

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I've downloaded and are using both Antipodes 7 and the 3.6.13 patch. However, the problem still persists.

Thank you for attempting to help though, Shivan Hunter.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I've just played through The King's Gambit again with these shaders, and I didn't see any white polygons this time around. I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks like your solution worked, The E. Thanks :)

Offline djsf35

I have been running antipodes 6 for a while now and have had the same issue on an nvidia card, usually restarting the game fixes the issue. I have upgraded my graphics card and found no problems, could our cards just have been getting hot and messing up.

I have been having these pop up as well. I searched, but this was the only discussion I found relating to it. I have an ATI radeon 5450, and I think the most recent public build (whatever Turey's installler put together).

I tried the shaders posted, but it did not help. Is there any other informatin on this subject? Mebbe even a solve?

Edit - Further searching (and the FAQ, shame on me) I found a reference to this, and a link to a new ma-sdrvfix.vp. Unfortunately this shader pack does not seem to help.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:12:43 am by Stormy Fairweather »

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Have you tried this ?
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

I have now, without luck, unfortunately.

Edit - I am an idiot, apparently. I put the dll in the wrong folder. That DID fix the glaring white triangle, thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:33:00 am by Stormy Fairweather »

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Pretty weird... I fixed my problem with the sdr patch, thanks to GB who provide it to me, but it seems it don't come from the game, as you tried many more solutions. Maybe it's a driver-related problem due to the options you selected ? Have you a similar problem in another game (i'm searching, i'm searching...)

EDIT : just read your post. That's cool ! Now you can REALLY enjoy this mother****ing game ! Good game  :pimp:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline MT

So how do you use the sdr code?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So how do you use the sdr code?

Each .sdr file goes into a data\effects folder (For example: FreeSpace2\data\effects, or FreeSpace\MediaVPs_3612\data\effects)
The engine uses many shaders, but the principle two are mani-F and main-V.

Here is the Wiki Page on FSO/FSU Shaders
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys