Author Topic: Trouble with FSO, UJR and X-55 Rhino  (Read 6829 times)

Trouble with FSO, UJR and X-55 Rhino
If this is in the wrong place please move it :)

I've had a look around and cant find any solid info on my issue, but maybe someone else with a Rhino has had the same thing.

I've set up ULR correctly...i think...all my assigned buttons change states and the controller calibration screen shows its all hunky-dory. but i cant assign buttons on the throttle in game - i.e. set the afterburner to the little red button. everything on the flightstick registers ingame fine, just not the throttle.

has anyone had this issue aswell?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Trouble with FSO, UJR and X-55 Rhino
Do you have the wrong setting for absolute / relative throttle?  IIRC mixing that up can cause this (I can't remember which is which, nor where you need to change it, I just remember this being a solution to a similar problem).

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Are they two separate devices? FSO can use only one. You need to find a way to have Windows recognize both of your controllers as a single device. If the drivers don't support that natively (some HOTAS systems can do this), there are 3rd party programs that can do the same. There is work ongoing that may eventually allow multiple controllers, but I'm pretty sure it'll be quite some time before that actually works.

Are they two separate devices? FSO can use only one. You need to find a way to have Windows recognize both of your controllers as a single device. If the drivers don't support that natively (some HOTAS systems can do this), there are 3rd party programs that can do the same. There is work ongoing that may eventually allow multiple controllers, but I'm pretty sure it'll be quite some time before that actually works.

Yes they are, i'm using vJoy and UJR to try and map everything as one virtual device. everything is registering fine in the UJR software, just not in game. ill try looking deeper for an option to make the joystick a single device (shoulda got the x52 :( )

Do you have the wrong setting for absolute / relative throttle?  IIRC mixing that up can cause this (I can't remember which is which, nor where you need to change it, I just remember this being a solution to a similar problem).

i cant seem to assign the throttle or the buttons on it at all in game, its like that the throttle itself is undetected even though it is seen in the virtual stick software

Make sure you select your virtual stick you remapped with UJR in the launcher. Since everything will display as "microsoft PC-joystick driver" it might require some experimentation.

funny that, every listing only seems to work for the flight stick. i did try unplugging the controls, refreshing the list, shoose the only option there (which i assume to be UJR) and then plug the controls back in, same thing happens

Alright, I can use UJR in FSO just fine so my only guess is that you're doing something wrong or maybe the x55 doesn't play nice with UJR for whatever reason.
Just to double check though, is the UJR app kept open? It's not just there to set up and test bindings you have to keep that window open.

Have you tried making it work in any other game(as a single device) to make sure this problem comes from FSO?

Have you tried using QuickBind in UJR which only operates the virtual stick to make sure FSO can at least map some of it or that the virtual stick is selected?

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Alright, I can use UJR in FSO just fine so my only guess is that you're doing something wrong or maybe the x55 doesn't play nice with UJR for whatever reason.
Just to double check though, is the UJR app kept open? It's not just there to set up and test bindings you have to keep that window open.

Have you tried making it work in any other game(as a single device) to make sure this problem comes from FSO?

Have you tried using QuickBind in UJR which only operates the virtual stick to make sure FSO can at least map some of it or that the virtual stick is selected?

yea the UJR app is open

i dont have any other old games installed atm, but i did get it working in XWA a few months ago, and i thought i did with FSO around the same time

I just tried using the quickbind to no avail :(

That means FSO is not even registering the virtual stick. Either you didn't select it or it doesn't even show up in the selection screen for whatever reason.

It doesn't have to be an old game though, plenty of modern games are restricted to only 1 control device or let you see what device you just bound a control to. You can simply try binding it in any modern FPS or platformer and see if the binds show up as x55 button 1 or vJoy device 1 button 1.

You'll want to use quickbind for this though, as moving the physical stick will obviously just make the game bind to that instead(unless it has a controller selection screen or something).

Or simply test it in Game Controller Properties, under vjoy Device. If that works then you can rule out UJR having problems(as it's possible that the stick will work in UJR but not in games) and can focus on solving why FSO doesn't register your virtual stick at all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:45:03 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Keep in mind that FSO also only detects the first 6 axes and the first 32 buttons; if your virtual stick has more than that (e.g. the throttle more than the 6th axis and at least 32 buttons before getting to the buttons on the throttle), then even if you have the virtual stick selected, you'll be unable to assign the throttle to anything.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Right, if you have a twist-stick with a complex multi-part throttle you might break the 6 axis limit. If you configure Vjoy you'll be able to map the main stick to X and Y, Z for the twist, and RX for the throttle. Should be more than enough as you only have 3 rotation axes and the throttle to worry about.
Strafing can only be mapped to buttons anyway but if you want to map it to a stick you can use Joy2Key or xpadder to map them to keyboard commands.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I wonder if someone could quickly code up a joystick lab, similar to the ship lab, that displays all accessible inputs and their real-time status, within FSO, as well as info about the device selected (although that last part is probably available from the debug log).  Could be useful for comparing differences between current and antipodes behavior, as well as possible future upgrades to the joystick code post-Antipodes.  Would be easier than mucking around in the binds area each time at least.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

ok it seems to be working now

for future reference, what i did was reinstalled the vJoy software, deleted the UJR folder and disabled the vJoy device.

I think the larger issue was that FSO could not see the throttle at all, regardless of what device i chose in wxL. i also had only the throttle plugged in and made sure FSO could see the throttle and register the throttle and buttons in game (after leaving the computer off for the night), plugged everything back in, reenabled vJoy and setup my button layout.

I ran just short of reinstalling the drivers.

I'll test buttons again later tonight (working all day) as i still need to remap them. but currently vJoy is set up for 4 axis (X, Y, Z, rX), 1 hat and 28 buttons.

thanks for your help guys. i do keep reading that multi device joysticks will be included eventually, but i cant wait that long to play FSO again :P

EDIT: I do think it might be wxL not switching devices properly i have 0.10.1 beta. YAL switches devices fine
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:26:58 pm by Aquazorx »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
This is quite possible.  You should be able to inspect the registry keys when running these programs.  You did in fact use YAL for Windows, and not the 'Launcher 5.5g' that is recommended for Windows users, besides wxLauncher?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

YAL for Windows and wxLauncher is all I use. YAL seemed to change the devices (i suspect due to the accept button to commit the changes) whereas wxL didnt (im not sure how the backend of wxL works)

what values in the registry should i be looking for? ill check them to see if wxL changes them tonight.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
HKLM\SOFTWARE\[Wow6432Node\]Volition\Freespace2, although I can't seem to find the particular key that gets modified on my computer, might be because I haven't plugged in the joystick recently.  The Wow6432Node will be there on 64-bit Windows 7 at least.  I'm not sure if Win10 or others might be in a slightly different place.

found that registry, didnt see any values change mind you. no matter, YAL fixed that issue for me anyway :P thanks for your help guys

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That might have been bad information.  Launcher 5.5g is setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\Freespace2 and this appears to be what FS2 is reading from on my Win7 box.  wxLauncher does as well according to AdmiralRalwood on IRC.  The setting to look for would be CurrentJoystick.  I can verify that 5.5g at least is changing that value as I switch from one joystick to another, although it doesn't help that they all list as "Microsoft PC-joystick driver".

Which launcher is best to use if I may ask? 5.5g, YAL (0.3 i think it says) or wxLauncher?

I know wxL is the cross platform launcher in development.