Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

Forcing capships to keep distance?

<< < (2/5) > >>

wookieejedi:
Sounds great! Happy to answer questions here or on the Discord in the #fredding channel, too (https://discord.gg/kgYgknmmdu).

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: Zarax on November 09, 2023, 03:50:20 am ---AI-keep-distance is greyed out if you're thinking about that one.

--- End quote ---

That's propably because it is not permitted for the object-type of the ship in question. Which AI orders a ship can recieve is definined by its object-type, which is established by a related flag in its ships.tbl-entry, e.g. "fighter", "bomber" or "capital".
Objecttypes.tbl allows you to maniplulate which AI orders are valid for a ship with the respective flag.

While you should be good with the new SEXPs wookiejedi presented to you, I feel obliged to mention the legacy method to do this is using waypoints. However that requires a number of geometrical calculations (or lots of trial and error) each time but can be made to work dynamically, as waypoints can be moved using the coordinate manipulation SEXPs.

Zarax:
I'm very aware of the legacy method, I've been modding FS2 since the 20th century although never released anything relevant.
I'll take a look at objectypes, although I suspect putting small craft sized routines on destroyer size ships is bound to cause weird reactions.

Colonol Dekker:
How do you mean?   If a destroyer had the right flags, strike craft orders shouldn't apply to it.  Is this related to the VLS craft you mentioned in another topic?  :)

Is it a custom ship you're working with?

Zarax:

--- Quote from: Colonol Dekker on November 10, 2023, 03:14:47 pm ---How do you mean?   If a destroyer had the right flags, strike craft orders shouldn't apply to it.  Is this related to the VLS craft you mentioned in another topic?  :)

Is it a custom ship you're working with?

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's in part related to the VLS concept and I wish I had something custom but in reality I'm working with heavily table modded versions of vanilla FS2 ships.
I have a concept in my head of a FS campaign where Sol basically got the other side of shivan tech, namely capital shields, and focuses on bombarding enemies from long range to deplete shielding before sending bombers to disable capital sub systems.

The balance is such that class for class terran ships are able to overcome capital shields with time but if a beam armed ship gets close enough to fire it's game over as you know what LRED can do to a destroyer, even when if you add 25k hitpoints of shields.

What I'm trying here is to make battles a lot less static when involving capital ships (after all even the battleships of old didn't sit and pound each other to death, quite the opposite) but FS2 AI even on FSO still makes capships very collision happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version