Author Topic: DEB packages for Ubuntu  (Read 21965 times)

Re: DEB packages for Ubuntu
We are thinking about dual-boot compatibility, but for now we are only including a script which asks for the retail data while installing the deb packages, giving the choice to import it from the game CDs, Good Old Game, or another place including a Windows installation.

About the launcher, i first thought about YAL, but according to the coder, we need to add Ubuntu specific things, so he is creating a light launcher which fits more to our needs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:47:45 am by UbuntuFS2 »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
About the launcher, i first thinked about YAL, but according to the coder, we need to add Ubuntu specific things, so he is creating a light launcher which fits more to our needs.
Ubuntu specific things?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Topgun

About the launcher, i first thinked about YAL, but according to the coder, we need to add Ubuntu specific things, so he is creating a light launcher which fits more to our needs.
Ubuntu specific things?
probably libs that ubuntu comes with.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Libs aren't very platform specific.  I would definitely keep an eye on the wxLauncher though, I'm not sure how far it is from being Linux usable yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it would probably be more accurate to say debian specific things.
which makes since seeing how this is a .deb package
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Topgun

it would probably be more accurate to say debian specific things.
which makes since seeing how this is a .deb package
Debian and ubuntu are not package compatible. they use the same file type but ubuntu uses different libraries than Debian, so most packages won't install them right.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Libs aren't very platform specific.  I would definitely keep an eye on the wxLauncher though, I'm not sure how far it is from being Linux usable yet.
Version 0.8.0 is linux usable.  That is why it has .deb (built on Ubuntu) installer available (which is apparently x64 only, yet nobody noticed until a few days ago).  If you are having problems with it on linux please let me know.

If UbuntuFS2 wants, I can create a 32-bit version of the wxLauncher .deb and put it on wxLauncher's download site.

That being said, right now, wxLauncher is not necessarily the most user friendly launcher at this time.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

We have mainly 3 reasons to code a new launcher :
-we prefer native GTK,
-we want something really simple (a menu to select, add or remove a mod, 2 buttons, play and configure (a pop up to set options for high or low end computer end), and the presentation of the mod),
-we need to integrate it with debconf, a debian specific configuration tool wich is triggered by the installation of the game, that we use to retrieve proprietary data from retail disks or another place.

It seems that the game still needs to be in the same directory as game data (data and mediavps). It caused some trouble to the packager.
Could this be fixed in 3.6.13 ? (And could the patch be backported to 3.6.12 ?)

The packages for the engine and the free data are now ok, and the package for the non free data installer is on the way !
I'll give you the PPA when there is a first version of all packages (probably 2 days from now).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
-we want something really simple (a menu to select, add or remove a mod, 2 buttons, play and configure (a pop up to set options for high or low end computer end), and the presentation of the mod),

Personally, I'd like to have more in-depth configuration options than that.

Also, wxLauncher is supposed to become the official FSO Launcher in the future. We would prefer people to use it, as it is planned to incorporate functionality from Turey's installer.

It seems that the game still needs to be in the same directory as game data (data and mediavps). It caused some trouble to the packager.

We don't do backporting. As for fixing this, we'll have to look into it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We haven't done backporting before, although I'm not against it as a rule.  Dunno how anyone else feels about it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Have you actually tried separating them?  The documenation says that you can't, but in my searching the code, on *nix platforms, FSO should be fine having the binary separate from the game data.

The reason that the documenation says that is because most of our documenation was written by Windows developers (where you infact cannot separte the engine binary and the game data) and our current launchers (wxLauncher included, for now anyway) make the assumption that they are in the same directory.

The packager told me he solved the problem using links.
About wxLauncher, we don't need its install and update functionnalities, now we have a Ubuntu repository, fs2 open updates are synchronized with system ones. We also have a template to make mod packages for Ubuntu, it will be easy to maintain the repository.
Turey's installer, or the new wxLauncher are not made to be used as superuser, so it's more complicated to make multi-user installations of the game.

I think wxLauncher is a good thing for Windows and Mac OS X users, but it is redundant with Ubuntu package management.
And, as many people need to install retail data while installing the game, we wanted to unify the installation (free data from our repository, proprietary data from CDs or wherever else)  with the tools given by our platform (debconf).

@The E: We will add more configuration options, but our goal is to make a very simple launcher, with the possibility to set advanced options by setting flags, for advanced users.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
About wxLauncher, we don't need its install and update functionnalities, now we have a Ubuntu repository, fs2 open updates are synchronized with system ones. We also have a template to make mod packages for Ubuntu, it will be easy to maintain the repository.
Turey's installer, or the new wxLauncher are not made to be used as superuser, so it's more complicated to make multi-user installations of the game.

How easy to maintain will this repository be? Who will maintain it? Who is "we"?
You see, as awesome as this is, I'd still like to know who we're dealing with here, and what your plans are. I mean, if we can build a mod deployment architecture using something like debconf, and if we could extend it so that it can be used on Windows and MacOS, that would help us immensely. Maintaining several separate pipelines for mod installation is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

I think wxLauncher is a good thing for Windows and Mac OS X users, but it is redundant with Ubuntu package management.

It's a good thing period. You see, one of its planned features is to make error reporting easier for support cases. Which is one thing I am really looking forward to.

@The E: We will add more configuration options, but our goal is to make a very simple launcher, with the possibility to set advanced options by setting flags, for advanced users.

You know, that's harder than it looks. You need to parse the binary blob the exe writes when started with the "-get_flags" option to get all arguments supported by the exe. In addition, you need support for setting the values for the various graphical settings that need numeric arguments.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, having some sort of support for the official launcher even on a Linux system is strongly recommended.  That said, it will be great to finally have a dedicated package maintainer for one of the most popular desktop Linux distributions currently available.  There is probably a way to integrate the launcher's install functionality with Ubuntu's own even, but IssMneur and kkmic would have to look into that.  Foregoing inclusion of the wxLauncher is going to become an increasingly troublesome proposition as it gains utility through its development though.  The endgame is to have something like a Steam system of mod and engine management, but without all the stuff people hate about Steam (before the mere mention of it starts a flame war).  It will be silly to try to duplicate that kind of functionality through Ubuntu's own package manager without the wxLauncher.  That said, that functionality is still a ways off, as in on the drawing board, so whatever helps the most Ubuntu users get into FSO right now, can't be a bad thing, as long as the future changes are kept in mind.  At one point it likely won't be a simple update.  We also don't have terribly good documentation about what mods work with what engine/MediaVPs/etc, and trying to install multiple engine versions currently could be very difficult.  Definitely not trying to turn you off, but I just want you to know what some of the speedbumps look like before you run into them.

Offline bash

I would not advise you to use symlinks, they can always be problematic on multi-platform software packages. A better approach would be using quilt.

As for the launcher, you should probably consider working with wxlauncher upstream to make it support your wishes, eg support multiple widget toolkits or make features configurable for various platforms.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What do you mean.  What is wxLauncher lacking that makes it more complicated for multi-user installations?  Most of the issues that I see with multi-user installations are actually caused by FSO and it windows legacy.

You know, that's harder than it looks. You need to parse the binary blob the exe writes when started with the "-get_flags" option to get all arguments supported by the exe. In addition, you need support for setting the values for the various graphical settings that need numeric arguments.
You got that right.  As part of writing wxLauncher I have written up a wiki article (which lives on wxLauncher's wiki at this point) that enumerates how everything works and what FSO is expecting from the a launcher.  http://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/wiki/FS2OpenLauncherCommunication

That said, that functionality is still a ways off, as in on the drawing board, so whatever helps the most Ubuntu users get into FSO right now, can't be a bad thing, as long as the future changes are kept in mind.  At one point it likely won't be a simple update.
Well, as long as the packages follow the FSO -mod guidelines (they are on the FreeSpace wiki) and/or the manual mod installation guidelines, upgrading to wxLauncher shouldn't be a problem.  Though the Ubuntu package manager may have some problems with it.

Offline rsaxvc

• rsaxvc

1) Has anybody tried to run the game from "/usr/games", with the data placed in "/usr/share/games" ?
What options should i compile the game with to test this configuration ?

A while ago, I made .deb packages for the FotG project, including the game engine. How I got around the problem of the game engine needing to be in the same directory was a simple script fs2_open, installed in /usr/bin, that would check to see if the directory already had a copy of fs2_open. If needed, it would copy the appropriate engine from either /usr/bin/fs2_open_r or /usb/bin/fs2_open_d to current directory as fs2_open, run the game with some decent flags, then remove the fs2_open from $CWD (if it wasn't there before).

Keep in mind, this has a bit of a security flaw in it.

However, you could package the game with a symlink to the binary, and a wrapper script to cd to that directory, and run the included binary. The gui launcher would just run that script.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
1) Has anybody tried to run the game from "/usr/games", with the data placed in "/usr/share/games" ?
Not as far as I know. Keep in mind that FSO does require current working directory of the binary to be the game data directory.

What options should i compile the game with to test this configuration ?
The only prerequisite at this point is you have to be compiling in a SCP_UNIX system (Linux or OSX). Use inferno becuase there is no reason not to at this point.  I would suggest a debug build while you are trying it out so that you will actually see any complaints or issues that FSO does actually have about this situation, if any.

A while ago, I made .deb packages for the FotG project, including the game engine. How I got around the problem of the game engine needing to be in the same directory was a simple script fs2_open, installed in /usr/bin, that would check to see if the directory already had a copy of fs2_open. If needed, it would copy the appropriate engine from either /usr/bin/fs2_open_r or /usb/bin/fs2_open_d to current directory as fs2_open, run the game with some decent flags, then remove the fs2_open from $CWD (if it wasn't there before).

Keep in mind, this has a bit of a security flaw in it.

However, you could package the game with a symlink to the binary, and a wrapper script to cd to that directory, and run the included binary. The gui launcher would just run that script.
That is a lot more complex than it needs to be. The binary (on SCP_UNIX systems only) does not care if the data is in the same directory as the binary, just that the current working directory you are running the binary in is the game data directory.

For example.  If you put the game data in /usr/share/games/FotG and the binary at /usr/bin/fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_d (or however the binary is named on linux).  All you would need to do is:
Code: [Select]
$ cd /usr/share/games/FotG
$ /usr/bin/fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_d <any flags that you need beyond what is in /usr/share/games/FotG/data/cmdline_fso.cfg and ~/.fs2_open/data/cmdline_fso.cfg>

this means that if you want to make a script to allow the user to run the game without running the launcher first the script simply needs to be:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/env bash
cd /usr/share/games/FotG
/usr/bin/fs2_open_3_6_12_INF_d <any flags that you need beyond what is in /usr/share/games/FotG/data/cmdline_fso.cfg and ~/.fs2_open/data/cmdline_fso.cfg>

Obviously, this would not support updating the binary very well, but that is what the launcher is for.  The only real issue with this configuration is that the launcher's, wxLauncher included assume that the game data and the binaries are in the same folder, but in wxLauncher's case, that is simply a minor code change away.

I'd love to see some working packages, even though I'm a Debian user myself. I haven't been active for the last few years due to not having a proper GPU to play FS on, and a rather-full time BSc degree taking a lot of time. I've been lurking for the past few months though, and here are some questions/remarks:

How DFSG (Debian free-software guidelines) compatible does Ubuntu want to be? The whole NC bit is incompatible with GPL code, and I'm not sure if Ubuntu likes that kind of code in the repos. I'm sure that Debian packages based on this source are stuck in non-free, and need seperate licenses and all. How problematic is this for Ubuntu?

Aside from that, I'd like to join the rest in recommending the use of a standard launcher, and not making your own Ubuntu-specific one, especially for bugreports. I assume that the package maintainers would prefer to file as much upstream as possible, and I guess upstream would really like everyone using the same launcher...

just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline bash

I'll give you the PPA when there is a first version of all packages (probably 2 days from now).

So... how long are those two days gonna be? :D