Off-Topic Discussion > General Discussion

HLP's Family Recipes (Resurrected)

<< < (4/5) > >>

karajorma:
Here's one I used to cook even before I went to China.

Wuhan Hot & Dry Noodles (Re Gan Mian).

120g (4 oz) cooked egg noodles
1 scallion/spring onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp corriander leaf, finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil, extra
1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp Chinese sesame paste OR 1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
3/4 tsp Chinese black vinegar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp sugar
A pinch of salt, to taste
1 tsp chilli oil (or to taste)
1/3 cup hot water

Method

Bring a large pot of water together with a 1/2 tsp salt to the boil. Place noodles in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until just cooked.
    In the meantime, combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well to form a paste.
    Once noodles are cooked, pour the sauce mixture over the noodles. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, chopped scallions, and corriander. Serve immediately.

It's ridiculously easy to make it and from start to finish takes only about 5-6 minutes. Unfortunately I haven't ever been able to make it taste as good as the stuff from the noodle shops in Wuhan yet.

FlamingCobra:
MP-Ryan, I showed my best friend's mom your recipe and she cooked it. Long story short she doubled your recipe (there were five people to feed in total) and I ate too much. It was really good though.

Scourge of Ages:
I have one similar to MP-Ryan's. It's quite a bit easier, but I get the feeling it's not quite as good...

½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or equivalent chicken parts of your choice)
4 tsp italian seasoned bread crumbs

Combine mayo and cheese, spread over chicken. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes.

And now, something I got online and have made to great effect:

Japanese Curry Rice

Roux:
3 Tbs butter
1/4 Cups flour
2 Tbs curry powder or garam masala
1/2 tsp cayenne or red pepper (add less if you want it mild or more if you want it spicy)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbs ketchup (or tomato paste)
1 Tbs tonkatsu, worcestershire, or soy sauce
1 tsp garlic

Curry:
2 tsp oil
2 large onions sliced thin
2 lbs chicken cleaned and cut into chunks (you could also use beef, shrimp, tofu, or extra vegetables)
2 carrots cut into chunks
4 C water
2 large potatoes cut into large chunks
2 tsp kosher salt (use less if you use regular salt)
1 tsp curry poweder or garam masala
1/2 C peas

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Brown the meat or tofu and add the onions.
Add the carrots and the water, then bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and add the potatoes, salt and garam masala. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until you can pass a fork through the carrots and potatoes and the meat is tender.

For the roux, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add the flour and garam masala, stirring until you have a thick paste. Add the cayenne pepper, some fresh ground black pepper, the ketchup and tonkatsu sauce and combine. Continue to cook until the paste starts crumbling. Remove from heat and set aside until the meat and veggies are ready.

Ladle or pour about 2 cups of broth from the meat and vegetables into the roux, then whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture back into the other pot and gently stir until thickened. Add the peas and heat through.
Serve over rice or noodles.

MP-Ryan:

--- Quote from: FlamingMamba on July 28, 2013, 09:03:40 pm ---MP-Ryan, I showed my best friend's mom your recipe and she cooked it. Long story short she doubled your recipe (there were five people to feed in total) and I ate too much. It was really good though.

--- End quote ---

My wife created it; I'll pass along the compliment.  Thanks!

deathfun:
Mac'n'Cheese
The way it was meant to be made

Get yourselves a can or two of tomato soup paste (personally use Campbell's), grate a helluva lot of cheddar (No real specific amount, use as much as you see fit) and a box of your select macaroni pasta (as much as you figure you want to make) and a casserole dish.

Cook that macaroni to what you want it to be, preheat that oven to 400F, and combine all of those ingredients in the casserole dish in portions of thirds. Makes for easier mixing as opposed to putting it all in at once.

Then, throw it in the oven for 30-45 minutes after sprinkling parmesan cheese (generously) over the top

Feel free to add meats and whatever the crap to the mixture (precooked meats that is) for additional flavour

Then eat the **** out of it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version