Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170706 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
It should be noted that GeneralBattuta and a few others have expressed a desire to continue, but none of them currently have the time or energy to do so.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

I heard there was a completion of the story in short story form somewhere, but I'm not sure where, and I keep holding out hope that someday it will be finished in campaign format, so I've intentionally avoided it.  Maybe someone could provide a link to that here.
Here it is: https://clarkesworldmagazine.com/dickinson_12_15/

BP is essentially on deep hibernation. There is a slight sliver of hope that one day, there will be new BP, but neither I nor anyone else on the team can honestly say when that will happen.

But it is not dead. For all of us, BP is a labour of love, a point of deep and lasting pride, and a cornerstone of the relationships we made while making it. Speaking for myself only, I count the members of the BP team as some of the longest, truest friendships I have ever made. I cannot watch Icarus without having deep emotions, despite how cheesy the music choices are. The discussions that take place here, or on discord, or even in real life for some of us, where we meet someone random who by the purest of chances happened to play this silly little fanfic of ours and who took enjoyment and long-lasting fascination from it are some of the most rewarding interactions we have.

BP is asleep. It may wake up one day, unforeseen and sudden. It may not. But as long as there are people enjoying it, it is not dead.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
A fully voice-acted Tenebra could get some momentum going. ;7
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Bpc version 3.2 is now available!
This update was made for FSO 23.0

Features:
  • Enhanced hud, fonts and text scaling, especially at higher resolutions.
  • Full integration of FSO's new lighting features, including a thorough check of background lighting to fix inconsistencies and the restoration of glowpoints that cast actual lights!
  • Integration of Lafiel's radar icon script, as well as Warmachine's VSYNTH toggle! Toggle radar icons on with a hotkey!
  • Various sound, effect and texture enhancements from Warmachine, including Kestrellius’s formidable effects and PBR maps for TEI ships!
  • Some extra effects from Diaspora (we were already using a bunch of BTRL stuff), mostly aimed at making it easier to tell different weapons apart and gauge their relative power.
  • Further tweaks to sounds, with a new "internal detonation" sound effect that takes the place of deathroll sounds for big ships.
  • You can now rebind the hotkey used by the "turrethotkey" script, thanks to EatThePath!

Bugfixes:
  • An update to FSBlue fixing some leftover issues (eg mistakes made by Grizzly) and implementing the proper fix for the AI scaling bug.
  • Fixed an mvp bug with the Sathanas that prevented its forward flak guns from firing properly.
  • Made some tweaks to techroom unlocking to fix entries showing up too early or not at all.
  • fixed a bug that caused the 640x480 error message to appear for ultra-widescreen users.
  • Various smaller fixes and tweaks that I forgot to write down.

Notes:

• If you are using your own keybinds, you may want to rebind "vsynth toggle" and "target priority subsystem". Their BP defaults are "Alt+Z" and "D", respectively.
  • You can tweak the way lighting looks by using the command line settings: Simply go to Options>FSO Settings, and change the -light and -ambient flags. A setting of "1" uses the mod's default settings as defined in lighting_profiles.tbl, and functions as a multiplier. Try setting -ambient to 0 to take full advantage of the formidable light from background effect!
  • If you want to use the glowpoints-casting-lights for your own projects, you need the glowpoints.tbl file and the $Glowpoint overrides: table entries. They're in bpc-core.
  • The rebindable turret hotkey has been implemented in an old script, and it’s unfortunately not compatible with the much newer versions of the script on the scripting repository.
  • Alternate configurations for the radaricon script are included in bpc-core/data/config/radaricons/
  • A special thanks to EatThePath for letting us have a big repository of unused Warmachine effects as well as helping us out with scripts. Had I yet mentioned that Warmachine is good? Half this update wouldn't have been here without it.
  • Special thanks to the FSO coders who were on the ball with providing timely fixes for all the bug reports we handed in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 12:02:42 pm by Grizzly »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The 3 BPC Advanced VPs won't let me download them.  They get as far as the "extracting" part, and then fail.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
It keeps failing for me too.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Ugh, that's a knossos issue. I'm doing a re-upload right now, lemme know if it works.

apperently all things should be good now.

I'm getting a "No executable was found for this mod" error on 3.2.2 if I have "Mod default" selected for Knossos settings, and a "'Blue Planet Complete' (3.2.2) requires 'FSO' which is missing!  (>= 23.0.0)" error when I specifically select FSO 23.0.0-RC8 from the dropdown menu for FSO build in the FSO Settings section.  I have FSO 23.0.0-RC8 currently, and it seems to work fine with Jaded's FSPort and with MediaVPs 4.6 base FS2 campaign.  Not sure what I'm missing here, but I'd really like to watch the Wargods win the final fight against the Carthage just like in the original BP campaign... right, yeah, I'm ready to cry.   :(

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Knossos might, and in fact probably should, consider version 23.0.0-RC8 to be less than 23.0.0, since RC8 is a pre-release test version. My advice is to your engine stability preference in knossos settings to stable and  update FSO so you get the final stable build of 23.0.0
Knossos seems to have some hard to pin down problems with not doing updates properly.
One possible thing to check, if you are using the knossos search feature be sure to clear it out before launching the mod. The search applies not just to mod listings but also to engine version listings, so it can cause that no-executables error.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

You may want to activate the nightlies, too, in Knossos, to install them

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
While there's some juicy stuff in the 23.0 nightlies already, unless it's actually required the stables really are the better option for the typical player.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'm getting a "No executable was found for this mod" error on 3.2.2 if I have "Mod default" selected for Knossos settings, and a "'Blue Planet Complete' (3.2.2) requires 'FSO' which is missing!  (>= 23.0.0)" error when I specifically select FSO 23.0.0-RC8 from the dropdown menu for FSO build in the FSO Settings section.  I have FSO 23.0.0-RC8 currently, and it seems to work fine with Jaded's FSPort and with MediaVPs 4.6 base FS2 campaign.  Not sure what I'm missing here, but I'd really like to watch the Wargods win the final fight against the Carthage just like in the original BP campaign... right, yeah, I'm ready to cry.   :(

I had the same error appear with the latest BP release.
Go to your Knossos settings, in the tab "Knossos" tick the "Show Engine Builds in MOD List", (it's off by default)
Now FSO/SCP should show up as a separate mod item, with an "update" to 23.0 available. -> do the update and BP should launch normally.
You can leave the "Preferred Engine Stability" on Stable or whatever you prefer.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

I had the same error appear with the latest BP release.
Go to your Knossos settings, in the tab "Knossos" tick the "Show Engine Builds in MOD List", (it's off by default)
Now FSO/SCP should show up as a separate mod item, with an "update" to 23.0 available. -> do the update and BP should launch normally.
You can leave the "Preferred Engine Stability" on Stable or whatever you prefer.

I have that set already and it's not displaying an update as of 2 days ago.  I haven't had the chance to check in a couple days though, so maybe there's an update now.  I'll try setting it to "stable", though, and see if that fixes my problem.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ah ok, then I assume setting it to "stable" is needed, since as EatThePath pointed out, RC8 counts as a "lower" version than the final 23.0 release
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

BPC Update 3.2.3 is now uploading!
The first actual update that isn't just to fix an upload issue, yah!

Small SFX and lighting revisions:
Shadows are now slightly darker by default.
Some bombs now once again get a flare effect.
A new balor sound, as well as some other sound revisions that should lead to less cutoff when many weapons are firing.

And a few bugfixes:

Fixed an issue in SM1-03 where your wingmen would rush into the Iceni and get shot down.
Fixed an issue in BP2-20 where the player could call a support ship, which would crash the mission.
Added an UI element that erroneously got deleted when cleaning out the files not needed for uploading.

Ah ok, then I assume setting it to "stable" is needed, since as EatThePath pointed out, RC8 counts as a "lower" version than the final 23.0 release

That was the issue and it runs now, but now for some reason FS2 thinks that my mouse is a joystick, and I have no clue why or how to fix it, and for some reason it's specific to the AoA campaign.  I have all of my joysticks unplugged and have turned off vJoy, and set Knossos to the "No Joystick" setting.  When I play WiH 1, my mouse works fine, and when I set my yaw axis in the controls settings, it detects as mouse x axis.  When I switch to the AoA campaign, using the same control profile, my mouse doesn't work for yaw (but I can still move my cursor around).  When I try to rebind my yaw axis, it rebinds it as Joy0 Axis.  I'm so confused.  Why would that be specific to the campaign?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
In the settings (F2) you have the option "Mouse Input Mode", set it to "Mouse" and not "Joy-0" (or whatever else is shown there as an alternative).
This setting seems to have a tendency to reset itself to Joy-0 (at least for me), so you may have to do this a few times and exit the game.
Those settings are stored per pilot (not per campaign), so maybe also try creating a new pilot and start AoA again.

Offline Redox

The latest update on Knossos doesn't work for me. When I click the "update" button, I get the error "Some metadata could not be saved. Blue Planet Complete: mod.json could not be written".

I've tried to verify file integrity and deleted and reinstalled BP. Same error. Could this be an error in the update and not me?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 12:45:31 am by Redox »