Author Topic: Giving orders to wingmen, strange behaviour of capship  (Read 1750 times)

Giving orders to wingmen, strange behaviour of capship
OK I have a strange problem.

I have my wingmen and can give them orders. In FRED, I deselected the player orders for the friendly capship. But when I give my wingmen the order to, let's say, disarm an enemy capship (by using c-3 all fighters-disarm in mission), my capship that is supposed to attack that enemy capship too stops attacking. Does anyone have an idea why? I gave the attack order of the capship a priority above 120 in FRED to make sure that order doesn't get overriden.

Is there  a sexp-way to make a capship not take any orders from me? I'm really confused because the attack order and the disarm order for the wingmen are essential to win this mission...

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Re: Giving orders to wingmen, strange behaviour of capship
Well, do you use any mods? Please upload your mission file, lets take a look.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If I recall this correctly, this happens because the game assumes that if the player wants to disarm/disable a capitalship, it has to stay alive.
That's also why there are two ai ignore target options in fred. One has the old behavior, in which if you tell *anyone* to ignore the target, *everyone* will ignore the target. While the new version actually behaves as you'd expect it to.

Ergo, it's probably hard coded behavior that you are running into here, if my assumptions are correct.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It could also just be some dumb bug though, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Hello and thx for the quick answers. Unfortunately i can't upload the File now because i Don't have it with me and I write with my Smartphone. Well the idea spoon suggested makes sense i guess... I will try working with different orders or maybe take the command-wingmen option out completely and give them orders with the sexp command. Then i will report back :-)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I vaguely seem to remember Wing Commander Saga running into this exact same issue and coming up with a solution. But I'll be damned if I can remember what it was even though I was quite heavily involved.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If you order anyone to disarm or disable a ship, the ship automatically becomes "protected", meaning ships not disarming/disabling it will refuse to attack it. This is hard-coded behavior, but you can modify it with SEXPs (remove protection and reissue attack orders on that specific ship whenever it gets protected, for instance).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Does this work for manually targetting weapons or engines and ordering the AI to attack that subsystem or is it only for disarm/disable orders?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Does this work for manually targetting weapons or engines and ordering the AI to attack that subsystem or is it only for disarm/disable orders?
Only a disarm/disable AI goal will trigger the protection; additionally, whether or not protection is granted can be controlled with the "$Protected on cripple:" setting on the ship type.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That last one is the bit I remember WCS adding.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hello, just wanted to give you a feedback: It works now, thanks for the tip with "unprotect ship"... Finally  :lol:

Though I have to go through the entire mission again and make my wingmen accept my orders again, it's worth it, now I can design the mission as it was intended :)

Great job, guys!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:00:49 pm by bomb3rman »