Author Topic: Hi, offering help.  (Read 9481 times)

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
I had a long long post written, but apparently the forum doesn't like me, so I'll have to repost.

The gist of it however, is that I want to offer my services(and the services of the X-wing Community) to help out an effort to get a new platform for SW Space sim gaming.

The X-wing engine is old, outdated, and perhaps more importantly lacks the extensibility now present in FS2 from the source code release.

As webmaster of XWL, and the unofficial keeper of the flame, I want to help transition away from XWA, and to this engine. To that end, I've enlisted the permission of a couple editors to use their models(notably Darksaber, of XWAU fame...)and also the time and dedication to help balance, and obtain the "feel" of SW into any such TC.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:eek2:
*picks up jaw*

Uh, hi. Karma's not here right now, but as vice-lead I can help you out.

Firstly, welcome! You may have seen me at the XWA Upgrade, asking for models, a while ago. Karma ran a SW mod website a while back, and I converted a few of the FS1 SW mod files to FS2, so we joined forces and got hosted. Currently we have all weapons and backgrounds, and a few models. We were dead-set on re-doing each ship from scratch, but it appears we can use some of the XWL models now, which is going to give us a huge boost.

I'm certainly glad you're deciding to make the switch. I feel the same way you do; it's best to go from one outdated engine to another that has more flexibility (and better explosions. ;7 ) Furthermore, FS2 is avaliable for free download from HOTU and has a very powerful and easy to use mission editor. With the source code released, the possibilities are nearly infinite, and if there indeed is not going to be any more sequels to the X-Wing line than this is the 'last best hope for XWL.' (How ironic...)

The XWA Community is welcome here, and though there are some FS2-specific adjstments to be made to the model-building process, the transition should be relatively painless. There are plenty of tutorials avaliable, and help for anything in particular is only a post away. If you help with the output we'll help with the input, as far as models and modelers go. ;)

I'm going to see about getting you internal access so we can talk about administration, permissions, and logistics. If you're looking to move the entire SW space sim community here, we can accomidate it (I think.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hey - ummm - wow...

Good **** right there I say :D

More warsies for the project :D:D:D

BTW, I'm Black Wolf, I do the interface art and icons for the SW-FS2 project. Welcome to HLP.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 10:04:28 pm by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
Thanks for the welcome. There is a lot of stuff to be done though, particularly since the UVW unwrap stuff will take a hell of a long time to actually do with the current methods of converting...Anyone around to take a crack at it?

Also, does FS2 have a limit to the number of weapons emplacements on say a capship?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
There's a limit on the number of subobjects, so indirectly yes there is. FS2 models have to be split up into subobjects of less than about 750 polys each, or they wont work in game. All turrets, rotating bits and destroyable subsections have to be submodels. The limits 110 or so IIRC.

What are you converting? If it's opts, I believe GE has a tried and tested method of doing so, and most other formats can be imported into FS2 without too much trouble.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
Yeah I'll be converting from OPT, though I think some can use some optimizing and switching of textures, because of limitations in the XWA engine.

The mesh/poly limit is close enough that I think the transition wouldn't be that painful.

From what little I've seen, seems each turret can have multiple firepoints, is this correct?

Also, can the number of subobjects be changed in the source, or is it more of a model format restriction?

Have some ideas about look and feel too...A lot of ILM's referrences for making of SW film battles tend to use acceleration as a baseline for comparisons, so perhaps we could set a universal "combat speed limit" for all craft, and then put variations based on acceleration instead...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You seem to be the real deal. I'll post a request for internal access so we can talk in private. :nod:

Basically you use OPT23DS to get a textured 3DS, then you break the mesh up with Max or what have you to get the turret submodels, then import it into Truespace and do all the hierarchy and turret centering, then convert it to POF and do all that stuff.

I converted all the XWA OPTs using this method (skipping the middle two steps; I didn't know how to turret back then) and they work fine in-game. Though there are an ungodly amount of textures, everything looks fine as long as you break it down into parts under 750 polies.

Converting some of the heftier OPTs is problematic. There's a 5,000 poly MC-80 I'm trying to turret and the converters keep crashing. Some cuts are definitely going to have to be made. One of the biggies is that none of the Freespace capships have multiple round engine nacelles, while almost all Star Wars capital ships do, which makes the polycount skyrocket.

As far as look and feel goes, FS2 isn't built for Newtonian physics. Each ship has a max velocity, and IMO changes exclusively in accelleration rates would give you the Freelancer no-variety-in-speeds complaints.

Now: is it just you and a couple other community leaders who want to move here, or are you trying to get everyone to switch? No news at all on the XWL or XWAU boards on this.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
So far the movement itself is a little bit of a limited thing...I'm keeping it under wraps till I have enough stuff done to announce, since obviously this would create a huge stir.

I intend to keep the forums, and such still on their own, and besides which the majority of the time I ask for help I don't get it.

I do agree that there would be a lot of complaints regarding having a top capped speed and differentiating on acceleration only, but on the other hand, if the acceleration were handled well enough that the ships each felt relatively unique, it might help alleviate that to some extent...I just want to try something new, yet fun...I'm sure we can think of something.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No reason we can't use both styles. Vary top speeds to some degree, but emphasize the changes in acceleration.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
hi nobakimoto
you can't even imagine how much happy I am to welcome you:)

i see that galactic emperor already requested private forum access for you, good, you will see soon a link to the private forum from the public forum page, then we will start discussing about all the techie:)

again, welcome:)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Now this is great news,... I remember all those guys from my XWA days,...some truely excellent add ons and upgrades to the game!
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Darksaber

• Opt-imus Prime
    • http://www.darksaber.freeserve.co.uk/
You'll probably remember me then Darksaber

Hi Nob :)

Just dropped by to say Hi :)

Karma, you may have emailed me before (or not) about using some of my stuff for this convertion

I see your using the Dragon*** thingy Craft and prehaps a few others not sure?

Anyhow I'm just posting here to say its OK to use them.

If I can be of any help also, I'll be glad to help :D

Not sure what I can do as yet

Oh and to be honest I'm not such an arsehole as you may think :p

I think Nob could vouch for that (Nob vouch for me) :doubt:

Anyhow see what you think
What You Give, You Will Receive
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Darksaber
You'll probably remember me then Darksaber

Hi Nob :)

Just dropped by to say Hi :)

Karma, you may have emailed me before (or not) about using some of my stuff for this convertion

I see your using the Dragon*** thingy Craft and prehaps a few others not sure?

Anyhow I'm just posting here to say its OK to use them.

If I can be of any help also, I'll be glad to help :D

Not sure what I can do as yet

Oh and to be honest I'm not such an arsehole as you may think :p

I think Nob could vouch for that (Nob vouch for me) :doubt:

Anyhow see what you think

welcome to you too darksaber:)
i never mailed you directly, but a long time ago a guy (that doesn't work at the project anymore) asked to use some of xwaup models, with negative response (or so he said), so we never used your artwork except for internal use
Personally it will be a privilege if we will be able to use some of  your artwork, or even more if you will help us more directly.... i've learned modelling redoing some of your ties:)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Woah.... looks like my dream came true. :) A very hearty welcome to Nob and Darksaber. Sorry we can't refer to you as Dark, but that name's already taken by a legendary Freespace MODder, who broke the ground for most of us way back when. ;)

As soon as I can get verification that you are who you say you are (GE is messaging you on ICQ, Darksaber), I can get you internal SW MOD access. So make sure to reply to his message, and we can get this ball on the road. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
This could be pretty good publicity for Freespace 2...I can see this getting covered by TF.N, which has quite a few visitors a day (In the thousands, at least).
-C

Originally posted by KARMA

welcome to you too darksaber:)
i never mailed you directly, but a long time ago a guy (that doesn't work at the project anymore) asked to use some of xwaup models, with negative response (or so he said), so we never used your artwork except for internal use
Personally it will be a privilege if we will be able to use some of  your artwork, or even more if you will help us more directly.... i've learned modelling redoing some of your ties:)

he is probably talking about me... :D

And welcome to Nob and Ds. :) I still regularly visit XWL and XWAUP. :yes:
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
Hopefully we can get some sort of playable X-wing vs TIE Fighter demo or something up within the space of a couple weeks. It'd be fun to let people play around with a couple ships. :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by NobAkimoto
Hopefully we can get some sort of playable X-wing vs TIE Fighter demo or something up within the space of a couple weeks. It'd be fun to let people play around with a couple ships. :)

Initial releases are shaky sorta, but not too far off. When you get internal access you can see the discussion we had about just this problem.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by NobAkimoto

yes, completing/debugging what we already have + adding the stuff that can be more easily converted from xwaup will not take too long, around a month probably, just to have the time to balance the parameters

Offline Darksaber

• Opt-imus Prime
    • http://www.darksaber.freeserve.co.uk/
Please only use the stuff from my site and not the XWAUP

Sorry but I can't give permission to use such craft as the MissileBoat or Gunboat and a few others

link below
What You Give, You Will Receive
Darksaber's X-Wing Station