Author Topic: Mon Remonda  (Read 6159 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
geospheres waste a lot of polys,are harder to edit, have in my opinion less quality and may distort the maps...

and the ship is the standard mc80 seen in ROTJ...:rolleyes:
it is the liberty without the wings and with an additional engine (that i still have to add) and without the last rear ventral blub (that is instead present in model due to my error: i thought the only difference were the wings)...
the liberty model will come soon as i verify that this work in game: i'll have to just add the wings;), althought i dare they will increase a lot the pcount

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/mcc.html#pearly
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/exhibit/liberty.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 07:07:43 pm by 433 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Now that is sweet! :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I like the model so far, but I have to nitpick. Don't know how far along the thing is with those pics, but just thought I'd mention. First, it's missing the side bulges entirely. Second, I don't really like how you handled the dorsal rear bulge complex. The front part which would have a dark, exposed structure texture under it shouldn't slope down to the body like that, but instead rounds to a point well above the main surface and has a mass of exposed structure beneath it. As to the rear section part, I really think modeling the lip would look a lot better than leaving it to texture. If you're worried about poly count, some of the bulges and small engines can be reduced to compensate. Speakin gof the engines, for the wingless, you need to replace that lower half-bulge with an engine...hey,  wait a second. I think I just discovered something. Some of those pics have a liberty with the engine and the lower half-bulge, and some have no engine and the half-bulge. :wtf:  Well, anyway, that lower bulge is poorly modeled just in general (proportions are all wrong). Finally, I think that that indentation with the bulge in it is on the wrong side, a little small, and a bit low poly.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
yes, you are almost right, btw
proportions are wrong for, uh, all the elements: the starting ellipse was too long and i had to compensate, so many elements are distorted.
secondary, i used the liberty photos for both the winged and wingless: the ventral indent for example appear to be on the opposite side in the liberty photos than in the wingless photos, so for lateral bulges, that i still have to add
the rear dorsal is little different than what it should be (smaller and shorter), for many reasons:the ellipse of main body is distorted in the rear (the rear vert is higher than the nose vert), so i mixed the bulge with main body to compensate, and it simply came that way and i leaved it, considering that it is relatively close and that lets me spare some polys and secondary i needed an higher (bigger) bulge to compensate the wrong proportions of the main body
almost same point for the ventral one: it should be smaller but i needed it that way to compensate, and btw it is present only in the liberty, in the mc 80 it has to be substituted by the 10th engine
for the lips, what you mean? the fins? the main details are all present (except those i mentioned) althought sometimes a bit too low poly for may tastes, and i will probably add some polys to round the inner section of those fins

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Yeah, well, didn't bother doing a direct proportions comparison, just saying what stuck out at me. I guess the only way to tell which side for certain things is the right one is to watch ROTJ, not that it matters that much. Film gets reversed so often you end up no way to be sure for some things.
I think you got confused in my previous post, I didn't word it that well.
There was a significant section where I was talking about just one bulge on the top rear. In the back of it there's a sudden cutoff with a sharp indentation, and another bulge coming out of it, that was the 'lip' reference. You have it flat. I was also referring to the front of that same bulge, where a secondary blister is modeled sloping down instead of being more podlike with exposed structure beneath.
As to the bottom structure replacing the tenth engine, that was also referred to, and you have repeated my comment about it.
The wtf was in reference purely to the liberty.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Alan Bolte
Yeah, well, didn't bother doing a direct proportions comparison, just saying what stuck out at me. I guess the only way to tell which side for certain things is the right one is to watch ROTJ, not that it matters that much. Film gets reversed so often you end up no way to be sure for some things.
I think you got confused in my previous post, I didn't word it that well.
There was a significant section where I was talking about just one bulge on the top rear. In the back of it there's a sudden cutoff with a sharp indentation, and another bulge coming out of it, that was the 'lip' reference. You have it flat. I was also referring to the front of that same bulge, where a secondary blister is modeled sloping down instead of being more podlike with exposed structure beneath.
As to the bottom structure replacing the tenth engine, that was also referred to, and you have repeated my comment about it.
The wtf was in reference purely to the liberty.

don't worry, I just didn't know the meaning of the word lip and I was too lazy to make a thesaurus search eheh:)
btw, the actual fs2 engine give often zbuffer problems with this kind of details, and this is why i made it flat. A whole new 3d engine is in progress by the guys working on source code, but it will take sometimes, and meanwhile i have to deal with the present one. Secondary the photos of this area that i've seen just show an hole, but the inside was too dark to argue what's there, so i just thought a dark mech texture could be fine and enough to represent it. I obviously can't model the exposed structures (damaged minor bulges all over the ship + some areas around both the ventral and dorsal rear bulges), so i'll leave em to textures, but the shape of what the Essential Guide claim to be the main bridge isn't so different in my opinion, it probably is too thin and, in my opinion, it has a too strong diagonal angle (  http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xbrooklyn/MonCalmari04.jpg ). The angle is caused by the bigger bulge being too big (for the reasons i exposed above), so again it is a problem of proportions of the whole ship, that are wrong, and it is, as said, due to my mistake, but personally i don't consider it an enormous problem:
the calamari cruiseres that appeared in all the originial SW games are completely different than the ships seen in ROTJ, the EGTV suck -as usually- in the schemes of those cruiser, it is difficult to find liberty/mc80 models even in the fan sites (swma mirrors), and when there are some, they often are highly inaccurate too, and in the other modding projects for other games i remember a "good" (detailed and precise) calamari only for SWNR, so i think that even a model with wrong proportions will go, if the overall result will be be nice looking, and this is the reason for i continued with this model althought knowing that wasn't too precise...at least, if it will have problems in game, i'll be able to use it as reference and correct all the proportion errors:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 11:46:44 am by 433 »