Author Topic: Question about quake 4  (Read 1929 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Question about quake 4
I have just bought the Quake 4 special edition from game for £9.99, price is why i bought it. Anyway i have installed it and played it a couple of time no problem. Now today everytime i insert the Q4 disc into my drive and when autorun kicks i get a message of my Anti-virus which is AVG 7.1 fully updated says that the file E:\setup\rsrc\quake4.exe has the Trojan horse Downloader.generic2.SRS. Now i Scan my machine and update it several times aday and i only just scanned it before i put the disc in and after and its clean until i put the disc in. Has anyone encountered this before getting a virus from a game disk?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
Re: Question about quake 4
Best way to approach this situation would be to e-mail ID Software, Raven Software or the guys at Anti-Vir and ask about this. It wouldn't be the first time that an anti-virus program detects a Trojan on a game installation executable or game executable itself. Same thing happened with Call of Juarez.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Hmm, I have both the excretable Quake 4 and AVG7.1, and have never seen this.   I can't find any reference to a "Downloader.generic2.SRS" virus, though; only Downloader.generic2

EDIT; have you scanned the DVD alone?

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
yeah it came up Virus found on E:\setup\rsrc\quake4.exe Trojan horse Downloader.generic2.SRS, i'll give the guys at id, raven activision at email and see if anything pops up.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Thats wierd, I also have the special edition dvd and don't have that problem. But then again, my copy is the U.S. version.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok i have sent a total of 6 emails none of which have had a response and i am getting tired of being on hold all the time on the phone lines  :mad: , i have to say i aint chuffed with activisions support.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I got the same message when installing Quake a couple days back.  It's just the launcher thing on the CD that gives the error, I scanned the Quake 4 folder itself and it got an all clear.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont even have to use the cd, i think the cd check was taken out with a patch. it seems to b id's policy to take out the copy protection features after a certain amount of time has passed. no doubt it has something to do with the copy protection. you might just try patching it.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN