Author Topic: Has anyone managed to get FEAR 2 working?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Has anyone managed to get FEAR 2 working?
I pre-ordered a copy of FEAR 2 and it arrived in the post this morning, i can't get it to install, Steam keeps telling me that this product is not available to purchase in this country (UK)! i mean WTF! i have checked on other forums and it seems those who have pre-ordered and got there copies a day early can't play it and no there seems to be able to get it to work, bad steam!! what has made me more angry is the fact on the box there is no mention that you require an internet connection to play singleplayer and there is no phone number in the manual to contact customer services. So has anyone here had any joy in getting it to work?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Has anyone managed to get FEAR 2 working?
If you pre-ordered a hard copy of FEAR2, why are you trying to activate it through Steam?

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
For some reason the retail edition requires the cd-key to activated through steam like when you buy the retail half-life 2, i have browsed through the dvd and there is only the steam installer

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well, after checking out the demo, it doesn't seem to live up to the first game's kinetic gunplay.

I have no idea what to do about the key issue. Check the game's forums?

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Yeah i checked the forums and everbody in Europe  seems to be in the same boat, can't play it until the official release which is tomorrow but its out now in America, nobody from monolith or warnerbros has put up posts on there forums about this issue, i also tried emailing them but everytime i used the email address that they provide, i get a mail back saying it doesn't exist! Problems like this are putting me more and more off PC gaming, why should i have to go online to play a singleplayer game its crazy! sorry for the rant am just annoyed along with a lot of other people that you pay for a game legally and you can't even play it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Not being able to play a game before it is officially released in your region is little compared to all this DRM crap PC gamers have to put up with. Waiting a day longer isn't a big deal.

I'm seriously considering hopping on the console bandwagon once next-gen consoles are out sometime around 2012 I think, assuming I even play games anymore then. Those idiots who think DRM (or any derivatives) helps their companies and products should be shot behind a barn.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
yeah i know a day isn't much, but what i was trying to say that this is the latest in a long line problems with all these online security things i am on the fear box under the system requirements there is no mention whats so ever of requiring internet connection which is false advertising in my book, Grand theft Auto 4 is another example that took me 4 hours to install because of all its online security. Wonder if i will have this problem with dawn of war 2 when i get that tomorrow?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
This is the reason why i don't buy games with this bull**** online activation crap.

If a company thinks they have to add this crap, then they can put their games in a place where the sun never shines.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
....Or they could just wait until the actual release date.   :blah:  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
So, how is FEAR2? People have said it isn't as good as the original.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Now that i have it working i'm enjoying it, the scare factor isn't as good as the first  but i am enjoying story sofar and the AI is very good, well i think it is and the graphics are very good, the only thing that lets it down for me is steam just at the fact no where on the box and in none of the reviews (PCZone UK, PCGamer UK)  where it gives system requirements is there any mention that you need an internet connection to play singleplayer and the fact i hate this things, steam, games for windows live. I would say if your looking for scares though i would get DeadSpace otherwise i like it.

It's a console game, in the end.  It's pretty clear to me the differences between the two are primarily caused by what the lead platform was determined to be.
It's not a bad game, and it's definitely got it's fun parts.....the ending, on the other hand, is flat out weird until you realize what just happened.  Then it's just disturbing.

Offline Rick James

• Scathed By Admins
It's a console game, in the end.  It's pretty clear to me the differences between the two are primarily caused by what the lead platform was determined to be.
It's not a bad game, and it's definitely got it's fun parts.....the ending, on the other hand, is flat out weird until you realize what just happened.  Then it's just disturbing.

Yes, the ending is indeed very WTF. I didn't like it, not so much because of the...ahem...nature of the ending, but because it ultimately fell flat.

Boystrous 19 year old temp at work slapped me in the face with an envelope and laughed it off as playful. So I shoved him over a desk and laughed it off as playful. It's on camera so I can plead reasonable force.  Temp is now passive.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I've just finished the game i am like what??? thats not an ending it just stops unless they have and expansion planned or a fear 3 but i will say i was not expecting that to happen!! i mean it is a new way to end it. I just wonder though how long before the news and media starts to complain in a similar way they did about mass effect and a few others despite the game being rated 18(UK) therefore and adult game.

I just finished it and I thought it was good. The creep level was a little less than what it was in the first game, but it had more shootouts. I would also like to nominate this for the most ****ed up ending ever.

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
I know... My m8 goes on about it so much. and its so *shudder*
I borrowed it for 360 off him. didnt finish it so i bought it yesterday for pc. hopefully will play it soon. my laptop got taken off me so im hoping to start on wednesday
as far as scare factor goes, I agree... less then first fear, but first fear wasnt so great either. i was more scared of being scared. once i warmed up i was ok with it. and i scare easy
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.