Author Topic: Good freeware games  (Read 8762 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I know they were mentioned earlier, but play the WHOLE Trilby series. . In this order, 5, notes, 7, 6. It's in my opinion more entertaining than the monkey island series. There are also three text adventures to play after 7 but before 6.

Www.totallyramblomatic.com

Made by yahtzee who reviews on zero punctuation. :yes:

It hurts. . . .
My king. . . . .
And lo they knew his name. . . It hurts. . . :nervous:
* BloodEagle could have sworn that Notes was released after Seven.  :nervous:

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Suckit.  :p

You used a full-stop. :p

He's very opinionated but he does it out of love. :p

...out of love to hate, yes. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Enzo03

C: Games made for single player have easy tutorials (In my experience)

How about Railroad Tycoon II? :drevil:
My father could NEVER get enough of that game..
...until he beat it. All of it. BTW we have platinum edition with second century era so its like twice as much to do.

WELL... someone  mentioned GLTron, I believe. That one's ok, but I prefer Armagetron, which has a very stable online community.

I have also played alot of the Marathon trilogy via Aleph One. Bungie released the entire trilogy as freeware, as well as the source code for Marathon 2, and basically they had their own version of the SCP.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST, I also suggest Toribash. It's basically a turn-based fighting game where you mess with a ragdoll's joints to make it fight the opponent ragdoll - extend, contract, hold, or relax a joint. It's fun. Graphics range is from "bad, but acceptable enough not to scare people away, but also runs GREAT on crappy comps" to "looks almost real except that none of the stuff in the game is real".
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Has anyone mentioned this site?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mika

Whoever mentioned Wesnoth, thanks. It turned out to be more than interesting game with some strategic depth.

I'll try Allegiance also as soon as I have time.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Hammerfight and, as it used to be known as Hammerfall, are demos of the full game (which I have no idea if it will be free or not), but, as they are now, are fun to play.

If you want more than 60 minutes of playtime per save in Hammerfall, then after playing for a while in a save (around 30 minutes), go into the Hammerfall directory and then into saves, open "profile_01", find m_roots, and change the number behind it to -1.

To get past the level limit in Hammerfight, go to Data\Levels, move DEMO.seria out of the directory. Now copy one of the other levels, and rename it to DEMO.seria. Now, when you reach that 'end level', either through solo or arena, you will be takem to the level you just put instead of DEMO.seria. That way you can keep playing arena (if replaced one with the ARIA levels), or repeat the campaign (if replaced with one of the GAIAR ones), although the second option might be a bit wonky. Levels other than GAIAR and ARIA dont seem to be completed yet.

edit: The reason I posted the old and the new is because you can play much more of the story in the old one.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:15:40 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Has anyone suggested abandonware yet?  :nervous:

If you like RTS, old, cntrl-click interface for multiple-unit selection, you should consider the original Warcraft. Abandonia and go... You'll need DOSbox, but that's really easy (and free) to get a hold of.

If you like flight sims that are still shockingly realistic, check out Parsoft's old A-10 series. The only version they made for Windows was A-10 Cuba!; if you've got a Mac you might be able to find a way to run Cuba! and Attack! using an OS9 emulator. If you can do that, you get all the fun options I never had as a kid (I never had A-10... :( ) like the mission editor, etc. The Windows version isn't as good.

If you find that abandonware is uncomfortable, I throw one last suggestion to the breeze: YS Flight Sim. Yes, it does suck, but once modded to use better, "more realistic" aircraft, it actually is quite fun. It achieves this feat by being so shockingly simple and almost arcade-like that you can merely focus on flying. Combat missions are also fun. This might be a good one for multiplayer...

To clarify, YS Flight is freeware. If you need to modify something, also note that most things are alterable via text editor. I've never tried making a new aircraft, but I believe there's tutorials out there. The source code is NOT open.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Narvi

The original Warcraft? When Blizzard is still around? How is that abandonware?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I suppose I don't know... it is from '94 and you can't buy it anymore from the manufacturer. That might have something to do with it. It's also for DOS.

Of course, you could also be a lame company such as LucasArts or Electronic Arts which have games even older than the said title, unavailable for purchase, have NO real demand except among nostalgists, and still refuse to release the program to the general public...  :hopping:

But you can find the said program on abandonia...

I will state that if Warcraft had intermittent cutscenes throughout I've not seen them. Perhaps that was a feature of having the disk (though you could get the program on floppy too, right?). The intro cutscene is there, though... Warcraft is Warcraft, though. Crazy action four units at a time!

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Narvi

Lucasart plan to release their older titles on Steam.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
not for free.

And a self-respecting gamer already has those games in the firstplace.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Narvi

...why would they release it for free? Their adventure games have quite a fanbase. Hell, Monkey Island got a sequel.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Three didn't it?

http://www.get-your-rom.com/SNES.php?letter=all

The EULA as follows
Super Nintendo Entertainment System rom's should only be downloaded if you own a copy of the actual game, will delete it within 24 hours, or are using it only for testing and/or development purposes (such as for taking screenshots)

:yes:

I have one title screen for each rom i have.. That's me covered :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Narvi

I meant a recent sequel.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :wtf: Sequel or remake? Specify......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe is available for free. I tried it, since my friend's copy of Halo:CE is scratched to hell.

It's... ok. The sad thing is that the AI (both friendly and enemy) is infinitely better then me. It's also kind of buggy, with unintuitive menus... but i haven't run into any of the crash bugs, which means I can skip through most of the menus.

You gotta play it like a romhack or Sands of Time: Save everytime you kill someone or manage to move forward successfully, load whenever you die (which is all the time). It's a decent game.

The people that made it should be shot for not releasing the source code (It's from 1999!!!), since many of the problems seem to stem from just plain sloppiness and/or rushed release. There's a truly great game underneath all the crap.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!