Author Topic: Steel Beasts Pro PE worth the buy?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Steel Beasts Pro PE worth the buy?
I have the hankering of late to take a modern MBT and go tearing across the countryside.  I played through BFBC2s campaign and my thirst was not slaked in the least,  in fact I was horribly disappointed.  After a cursory search of the net my best apparent option in Steel Beasts Pro PE, a 2000 era tank sim.  Seems as if it is a hardcore tank sim, in fact there is a non public version used as a military training tool.  It seems like it has a pretty good community building scenarios and mods and the Pro PE version has been updated with modern hardware such as the Leo 2 A6 EX and STRV.122.  On the down side she ain't a looker, the the tank models are nice but no working suspension and the infantry are 2d pixel jobs ala pre Rome Total War.  This is a no frills tank sim so no campaign or story either, just the combat scenarios.  Last but not least its expensive, 125 USD.  

Is anybody have any experience with this?  Is it worth the pickup?  I assume its going to have a steep learning curve but hopefully not to the point of being boring to tears.

Gameplay Vid

Gameplay Vid

http://www.steelbeasts.com/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:37:16 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: Steel Beats Pro PE worth the buy?
I've not tried ARMA2, but I have reason to believe that it simulates mechanized combat fairly well. Perhaps you could try that?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Steel Beasts Pro PE worth the buy?
ARMA 2 is a *****. It is, however, a glorious, amazing, incredible *****.

There was an abandonware tank sim by Microprose where you lead a platoon of M1s that I've played I would recommend as giving a good feel if a somewhat crappy visual experience, if only I could find the damn thing's name again.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You know, I've been interested in looking into ARMA 2...

...What in particular makes it so bad?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
...What in particular makes it so bad?

Basically, the same stuff that makes it good. This is the single most utterly brutally accurate combat simulator ever released. As such, it is quite good at simulating the many, many ways you can die on the modern battlefield. About the only thing I haven't see happen in Arma 2 is artillery barrages, which is just as well when you're mostly commanding an infantry squad. Instant total party kill is no fun at all.

...mind you this doesn't mean such things can't happen in the game. I'm just not real eager to check, the game might wake up and remember too.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

There was an abandonware tank sim by Microprose where you lead a platoon of M1s that I've played I would recommend as giving a good feel if a somewhat crappy visual experience, if only I could find the damn thing's name again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Tank_Platoon

There was also a sequel released in 1998 or somefink.

Is it worth the pickup?  I assume its going to have a steep learning curve but hopefully not to the point of being boring to tears.

Haven't played it, but it's basically a military-grade simulator. That's fun for some people. Are you one of them?

You know yourself better than we do, after all.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:54:36 pm by mxlm »
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Is there anything particularly wrong with Operation Flashpoint in this area? Just curious...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Flashpoint and ARMA are pretty much the same thing, if I recall properly. The team split at some point, and the ensuing products are thus different and the same.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke