Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 57371 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Someone remind me to rip those missile trails from the game files and import to FSO...
Those are likely DDS anyway... easy to hex edit *cough*

I'm pretty sure they are volumetric.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Eh well.. something to start with.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Eh well.. something to start with.
volumetric effects in freespace...
GO FOR IT!

Offline JGZinv

Well there was this SSD with volumetric lighting I thought was really awesome... course it was in about
40,000 parts and well over a million polies. Kinda ruined it for me...

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, explosions. Anyone know if there's going to be anything else before E3 in the way of news?

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Well there was this SSD with volumetric lighting I thought was really awesome... course it was in about
40,000 parts and well over a million polies. Kinda ruined it for me...

What were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, explosions. Anyone know if there's going to be anything else before E3 in the way of news?
no idea.

BTW, people's thoughts on Physicial warfare pack?
in UK, pre-order limited edition with it, and get type 88, DAO-12 early, flechette rounds weapon mod for DAO-12 (penetrates stuff, but less damage) and flash suppressor for SKS.
apparently that will  be only way UK guys get that stuff, but everyone can have flechette rounds and flash suppressors for other guns, and still get DAO-12 and SKS themselves.

not too excited about this, here's hoping they drop it.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
What's the Physical Warfare pack? All I know about is Back to Karkand which I and my brother are DEFINITELY getting. We loved that map and pretty much the other three in the package too.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh btw, lead designer has confirmed on twitter:

No perks that increase bullet damage (yess)

No perks that increase character hit points (yess)

They want the game to feel as balanced as humanly possible (yess)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Here's an "EA PWNED" coverage video of the Battlefield 3. Some new info and footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXaFw7aC9GE
Habeeb it...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not to be a killjoy, but I should hope that every multiplayer developer ever would say pretty much the same thing during development. :p

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not to be a killjoy, but I should hope that every multiplayer developer ever would say pretty much the same thing during development. :p

I can understand thinking that from a passerby's point of view, but to someone who's been paying attention to trends in FPS design over the past couple years, the meaning of what he's saying here - in combination with the previous two Twitter items I quoted - is very specific.

If you can't read the subtext there are three giant words floating right under the surface and they are STOPPING POWER and JUGGERNAUGHT.

I hope your response will not be 'I don't pay much attention to trends in FPS design' followed by a tongue emote because that would be pretty formulaic.  :nervous:

Offline JGZinv

Juggy's in MW2 served their role, which was to instill panic in co-op compared to the billions of fodder you could kill on your own.
Until we figured out a system, we went round and round hundreds of times in spec ops trying to get through the juggy missions.
I dare say spec ops was the only part of MW2 I really enjoyed.

Were they vastly over powered, rather unrealistic, and incredibly frustrating.... yes. But they were designed to be that way on purpose.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Juggy's in MW2 served their role, which was to instill panic in co-op compared to the billions of fodder you could kill on your own.

That's not the kind of juggernaut we're talking about here at all. Did you play MW1 multiplayer?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I hope your response will not be 'I don't pay much attention to trends in FPS design' followed by a tongue emote because that would be pretty formulaic.  :nervous:
Dammit, he guessed it. :(

(But yeah, the only FPS trend stuff I really pay attention to is my TF2 and laughing at my brother playing Black Ops.)

Offline JGZinv

@ Battuta  yeah I played MW1 (liked it mostly), MW2 (blah mostly), WaW (not impressed, watched a playthrough of Blops... also played
most of the early CoD, MoH, and related FPS titles circa the playstation 1+2 era. Played everything Halo, and BFBC2.

Out of all that, I'd say I liked MW1 generically, Halo 2's story but H3's multiplayer, and BFBC2 as best overall.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
@ Battuta  yeah I played MW1 (liked it mostly), MW2 (blah mostly), WaW (not impressed, watched a playthrough of Blops... also played
most of the early CoD, MoH, and related FPS titles circa the playstation 1+2 era. Played everything Halo, and BFBC2.

Out of all that, I'd say I liked MW1 generically, Halo 2's story but H3's multiplayer, and BFBC2 as best overall.

Okay, do you remember the Juggernaut perk from MW1? That's what I'm talking about.

Offline JGZinv

Not really, but I recall stopping power...  anyways...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
One thing I enver liked about all these "realistic" war shooters, is that they never feel right. Not graphicly....
But in the actual action.

You mow down THOUSANDS during a course of a game. Enemy that can't hit the broad side of a barn. Rambo tactics still work.
That's just not realistic at all.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Man, try playing Battlefield. Well, multi, anyway, doesn't work a thing like that in my experience.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Then you should try ARMA or Operation Flashpoint if you haven't. If you're video game skills are anything like mine, you'll want to stick to the more arcade-y FPSs. :lol:

OFP : Dragon Rising has the advantage of being a good entrypoint into the realistic FPS genre on account of it still feeling arcadey compared to ARMA or the original OFP, while still being impenetrable to your average CoD-kid. I recommend starting there, and if you breeze through it like I did, then go get ARMA 1 and 2. Thats all the realism you need, right there.