Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 57386 times)

Offline mxlm

Gotta admit, I'd rather the planes didn't return. I loved 1942 to death, but due to having a **** computer didn't play any of the others until BC2 and oh my god I could never go back. No more guys who have memorized the locations of the AA and will kill you before you know they're there, no more losing flags because no one is defending them because there are only 32 players per side and the map is a million goddamn miles long and who wants to sit in the middle of nowhere to babysit a flag when that involves maybe fighting one guy every couple of minutes, no more--well, okay, less--of one side stealing vehicles and completely destroying the map's balance, no more plane campers, no more guys sitting on repair pads in the base spawn camping no more...

I don't know how many of those were addressed in Vietnam, 2142, and 2. I just know I don't want to deal with anything resembling that stuff again.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Vietnam was a pain in the ass. The maps were too small for jet aircraft, for the most part.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I agree with that. There were a few maps like Gamewarden which were alright for it, (I think it was Gamewarden, might be Hastings I'm thinking of), the rest meant that the majority of your flight would be spent making hard turns to keep inside the map area. :P I remember helo whoring in ships like the OH-6 being really bad on some occasions as well. But hopefully this should be a fair bit better.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Damn those bloody teasers. HHHNGGGH, I wanna see more gameplay footage.  :banghead:

Add one more BF fanatic to the list. Over hyped or not, I know I'm hyped for this.

BFBC2 is indeed fun fun but I want to have those huge maps again where ya can indeed drive/fly around more freely. Oh those great times in BF1942 and 2. Pedal to the metal and off the road.
Hmm, maybe I should fire up Project Reality again, but I hear people say that lots of "not-so-wanted" players have began playing it, when the mod had been mentioned in several places.
The bad side of good publicity.
Habeeb it...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hmm...maybe I should try giving one of these thingies a shot sometime.  The legitimate-teamwork thing is what I find most appealing about Team Fortress 2, which I love the hell out of.  (Well, that and black Scottish cyclops.  And hats.)  I know people who used to make a big deal out of that Desert Combat mod.

A lot of the fun in the 'teamwork' is in dying hilariously together. Just the other day me, sigtau and mura were in a squad, and we ended up cowering behind this tiny bale of hay while a tank shelled us. If we'd had the commands for it we probably would've been hugging each other and bawling.

Then of course the tank just fired through the hay and blew us all to hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown

A lot of the fun in the 'teamwork' is in dying hilariously together. Just the other day me, sigtau and mura were in a squad, and we ended up cowering behind this tiny bale of hay while a tank shelled us. If we'd had the commands for it we probably would've been hugging each other and bawling.

Then of course the tank just fired through the hay and blew us all to hell.

I can testify to this!  And then Battuta watched in awe as I defused an explosive charge on the objective our team was protecting, all while it was being artillery shelled from above.

And then Mura killed me with a repair drill.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:58:02 pm by sigtau »
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle

And then Mura killed me with a repair drill.

I just love drilling enemy tanks into little pieces and get a kill from that. Then again drilling an enemy soldier is just as rewarding.

MY DRILL WILL PIERCE THE heavens TANKS ARMOR!
Habeeb it...

Offline mxlm

Hmm. Do you kids have space in your--apparently--regular group? I think I might want in on that.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
And here's a related question: is this franchise a case where everyone jumps ship to the newest title as soon as it comes out, or do the older games still have their own groups of players out there?  I've been sort of wary of the seemingly-growing trend of "disposable" multiplayer experiences; I'm the sort who has one or two franchises that I just keep playing and playing.  Are you guys planning on moving wholesale to Battlefield 3 when it comes out?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And here's a related question: is this franchise a case where everyone jumps ship to the newest title as soon as it comes out, or do the older games still have their own groups of players out there?  I've been sort of wary of the seemingly-growing trend of "disposable" multiplayer experiences; I'm the sort who has one or two franchises that I just keep playing and playing.  Are you guys planning on moving wholesale to Battlefield 3 when it comes out?

Battlefield 2 still has a strong player base and 2142 would if it would just get a steam release. I don't know how Bad Company 1 is doing.

Honestly I'll probably just go to Battlefield 3 though.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Battlefield 3 is a special case.  Since it appears to do everything Bad Company 2 intended to do, only better, it's enough of a reason for me to drop BC2 entirely in favor of it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Yeah, most everyone on the PC front has stuck with Battlefield 2 for the most part, though BC2 was certainly good as well. But since 3 is apparently going to be a fusion of all the good things about 2 with the capabilities of the Frostbite Engine,  there will probably be a mass player migration.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Agreed... Battlefield 3 will probably draw PC players from Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2. I played BF2 for ages... BC2 I just picked up recently to tide me over because BF2 was getting boring. Very much looking forward to 3 and the upgraded Frostbite 2 engine.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I dunno about that. All the players I've talked to in BFBC2 are taking a wait and see approach, as they expect it to be riddled
with bugs for a period of time.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Things they should do in trailers this summer to literally make people forget that there are other modern shooters:
MP BF3-moments: do random squad stuff, finish with friendly jet blowing something up, and going full burn right overhead-creating a sonic boom over the squads' heads.  that'd get a pre-order for me

One of the things I saw in the trailer is dragging... Dragging wounded teammates to cover to heal is an improvement I hope for.

Because constantly trying to revive your squad whilst being pinned down by armor... :D

Offline Kszyhu

... is pissing off those who are constantly revived.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
One of the things I saw in the trailer is dragging... Dragging wounded teammates to cover to heal is an improvement I hope for.

Because constantly trying to revive your squad whilst being pinned down by armor... :D

...is hilarious (unless you're the one being rezzed)

...is hilarious (unless you're the one being rezzed)

It was hilarous. :D