Author Topic: Star Craft II Heart of the Swarm  (Read 17599 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Star Craft II Heart of the Swarm
Still haven't played SCII (or even really the whole campaign of SC1, which irritates me greatly, now that I actually care beyond the ten year old mindset of WOO EXPLOSIONS), but it sounds like Duran is simultaneously the potentially most interesting plot artifact and the most successful Magnificent Bastard of the series.

Warning: the above opinion is waaay too uninformed.

Still haven't played SCII (or even really the whole campaign of SC1, which irritates me greatly, now that I actually care beyond the ten year old mindset of WOO EXPLOSIONS), but it sounds like Duran is simultaneously the potentially most interesting plot artifact and the most successful Magnificent Bastard of the series.

Warning: the above opinion is waaay too uninformed.

Probably correct on both counts, if only because Duran doesn't have enough screen time in SC2 to come across as an utter imbecile.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tend to avoid expecting a literary masterpiece when i buy a game. the thing i really expect out of it is play time. how many hours of gaming do you get out of it before it goes on your shelf. starcraft 2 in particular has given me serious bang for my buck (same can be said about sc1 for its lan party value). as ****ty as the story is the game has exceeded my expectations and i still play custom games all the time.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i tend to avoid expecting a literary masterpiece when i buy a game.

Yeah me too but expecting the story to be at least as good as the game your studio made when it had one hundredth the money and far more pressure on it is pretty reasonable all in all

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Perhaps they don't want to write a story worth anything in terms of literature...
Whatever sells man, whatever sells...

and these days...its...

:(
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
I liked the story of Starcraft II Wings of liberty, but that was my first Starcraft game, so what do I know? 
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

I'm pretty sure you can get the first on Blizzard's website for like 5 bucks. Do it!
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
I'll think about.  :P
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Not going to touch HotS with a ten-foot pole. I bought WoL when it came out, was so disappointed that I never finished it despite several attempts at doing so. I just couldn't bear the ****. Not interested in multi.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I'll think about.  :P

**** just get the sc1->sc2 port. you can at least play the missions. not sure what the status of the protoss campaign is though. then watch the cut scenes on youtube. but seriously you can find sc1 in bargain bins everywhere for practically nothing.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I liked the story of Starcraft II Wings of liberty, but that was my first Starcraft game, so what do I know?

No offense but you're like eleven so it's okay

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Who else is hoping Mengsk will finally die now? He really deserves whatever ass-kicking Kerrigan has in mind for him, if you ask me.

Leaked ending says Kerrigan kills Mengsk after an awful ****ty line.

Can anyone please elaborate on the horribleness of Wings of Liberty's story as mentioned by Battuta and NGTM-1R?

ugh where do I begin

Campaign is about 30 missions. The story starts at mission 25. In the 25 missions before that:

1. You do side quests
2. Your buddy Tychus helps you out
3. People constantly warn you that someone on the ship is working for the Dominion and Mengsk has a gun to his/her head
4. Your buddy Tychus was mysteriously released from prison and is locked inside his suit and his suit is receiving mysterious signals
5. Raynor is puzzled about who could possibly be working for the Dominion.

Okay, I lied, there's a bit of macroplot:

1. Kerrigan invades the Dominion. This kills billions of people, is seen entirely off-screen, causes no particular panic or alarm in the characters, and is never really mentioned
2. Raynor takes missions to grab a few Xel'naga artifacts. It turns out Kerrigan is after them too. She races you to catch them by doing devastatingly clever things like

searching apartment buildings one by one

saying 'I'll get you next time, Jimmy!'

In mission 25 Raynor teams up with Valerian Mengsk to assemble the artifacts and attack Char. It turns out the artifacts build a miraculous Xel'naga Kerrigan-deinfesting machine. With just one push of the button, it can reverse Kerrigan's arc from Brood War!

(remember that great moment in brood war when jimmy was all 'you're beyond redemption, kerrigan, next time, for fenix, i'm going to kill you?' yeah that doesn't matter any more)

A chunk of the Dominion fleet and Raynor's one battlecruiser attack Char.

Remember, this is Char, where the whole Swarm has been holed up, evolving, since the end of Brood War.

The end of Brood War where Kerrigan wiped out a coordinated attack by the Dominion, UED, and Protoss.

Naturally, a much smaller Terran-only force does perfectly fine, lands on Char, never faces any serious problems because Jimmy's here, don't worry, and de-infests Kerrigan.

Tychus' big secret turns out to have been that he was working with Mengsk and he's supposed to kill Kerrigan.

Wow, Mengsk, nice planning. You let Tychus run rampant and help out in missions that nearly brought down your government, you didn't use him to track Raynor or anything like that - you just counted on the contrived long odds that at some point he'd be in shooting range of a helpless Queen of Blades. Sure.

But Raynor kills Tychus, fin

****ty ****ty piece of ****, also i failed to describe how all the writing was terrible because IT'S TIME TO KICK THIS REVOLUTION

INTO OVERDRIVE

e: oh there's an even more ****awful part

In a series of side missions Zeratul gives you via a psychic dream crystal, you learn about THE PROPHECY and THE CHOSEN ONE who is the only one who can stop THE DARKNESS

Zeratul has learned that a mysterious force named THE FALLEN O

sorry I had to stop to puke

THE FALLEN ONE has been manipulating events for eons! He corrupted the Zerg into ravenous beasts focused on destroying the Protoss! Fortunately, the well-meaning, good-hearted Overmind (i'm serious, the overmind was just 'manipulated') created Kerrigan to lead the swarm against DIABL no wait SARGER no hang on THE FALLEN ONE and his evil army of Protoss-Zerg hybrids!

In a vision of the distant future we see the Protoss race being wiped out because Kerrigan was killed and couldn't fulfill her destiny and now THE FALLEN ONE will plunge the whole universe into utter darkness

oh and tassadar isn't dead, he struck himself down but became powerful than you can imagine, now he hangs out with the spirit of the brovermind

welp

This made my morning. Thank you, bromang.

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the only reason starcraft 2 exists at all is because of the koreans. for years they were televising sc1 matches without permission from blizzard. there was a fortune to be had and blizzard was shut out from it. sc2 was meant to tap into this market, and this is why it has good multi (and no lan support). i bet the single player aspects including the story were tacked on as a secondary marketing point. so theres not doubt in my mind that this plays a role in the lameness of the story.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline crizza

I'll prorder it anyways...
And the plot...I don't think so bad of it as tutta, so I don't care.^^

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I won't be picking it up.  I don't want to know what happens anymore.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
And they turned Zeratul into a whiny, emo *****, and introduced a group of Protoss that appear to have checked their collective intelligence at the door in favour of pigeon-holed obstinacy to conveniently allow you to fight Protoss in the Terran campaign.

I will say this though:  While the plot drove me NUTS, I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay to the point where I played on Hard for the purpose of / actively attempting to gaining/gain all the mission-based achievements (except the Brutal completion).

And so I'll buy HotS.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:41:53 am by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree. It's doubly frustrating that the mission design is so good, there's just no writing to go with it.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I agree. It's doubly frustrating that the mission design is so good, there's just no writing to go with it.

Trouble is, after (like you said earlier) Warcraft 3, I really wasn't all that surprised.  Blizzard seems to have fired their writing staff after discovering with W3/WoW that it's possibly to make obscene amounts of money without them.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline crizza

My guess is, that Chris Metzen became insane...since he is the lead storywrighter...he screwed WoW and now SC...
Next stop: Diablo 3^^

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Lol Battuta... compare episode 1 of the original StarCraft to the rest of the original StarCraft, is it not comparably lame?