Author Topic: I don't know about you guys, but when I play Mass Effect...  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
Re: I don't know about you guys, but when I play Mass Effect...
When playing DEFCON, I pretend that everyone on the receiving end of a nuke is Cardassian because, let's face it, everyone hates those scaly faced bastards. Even Jesus. And especially Isa.

Your jealousy is so transparent

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
When playing DEFCON, I pretend that everyone on the receiving end of a nuke is Cardassian because, let's face it, everyone hates those scaly faced bastards. Even Jesus. And especially Isa.
Isa?

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
Mass Effect space combat in the games has **** all to do with how it was written in the codex. They did not stick very close to Chris L'etoile's awesome original concepts.

Chris L´etoile is a genius...
i have much respect for him.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
It figures only hippies and tree-huggers would have a problem with us.

Offline An4ximandros

Of course, sticking to these concepts would make the damn cutscenes so complex, it would at least triple the cost for a few seconds of CGI (ME1's in engine cutscenes would have been better for this)

Edit: Referring to the effect on mass franchise.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
Of course, sticking to these concepts would make the damn cutscenes so complex, it would at least triple the cost for a few seconds of CGI (ME1's in engine cutscenes would have been better for this)

Edit: Referring to the Mass Effect.

I would gladly pay the price...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Edit: Referring to the effect on mass franchise.

It really wouldn't, since instead of 40000000 ships milling about shooting each other with beams you'd have engagements from a terrible remote distance and a lot of creeping about trying to be quiet.

ME1 also had the best looking cutscenes of the whole series because they didn't look disruptively different from the game engine itself. It didn't have real-time in-engine cutscenes, though, they were just prerendered using the engine.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
ME-verse fighters and bombers aren't really fodder, since it's implied being hit by GARDIAN fire doesn't usually kill-stop them so once they're hit they usually get away, but they do basically work attrition by overwhelming defenses and forcing them into overheat and ineffectiveness.
who cares about basic point defenses? it seems reapers liberally pick their targets with beams regardless of size especially on rannoch.
Isa? :confused:
i suppose you wouldn't know when a wild spoon appears.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:24:39 am by yuezhi »
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
when i play mass effect 2... i   :banghead:  and  :mad:  and   :hopping:  over how they gave the finger to ME1 and castrated the combat. 

(currently in a replay in preparation for finally playing ME3.  a warning to anyone who doesn't already know - as cool as infiltrator sounds at the class selection screen, it really blows.  the sniper rifle is the only thing that prevented me from ragequitting and probably going back to vanguard.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:26:58 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline An4ximandros

"Let's get rid of the infinite ammo we technobabbled into the first game by technobabbling limited ammo as a better alternative!" "Yeah, all right, sounds like a great idea!" - Bioware writing staff.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
"Let's get rid of the infinite ammo we technobabbled into the first game by technobabbling limited ammo as a better alternative!" "Yeah, all right, sounds like a great idea!" - Bioware writing staff.

Ahhh...but i love technobabble!
no sci-fi story is complete without them!
=D

Offline Aesaar

when i play mass effect 2... i   :banghead:  and  :mad:  and   :hopping:  over how they gave the finger to ME1 and castrated the combat. 
ME2's combat was much, much more fun than ME1's, IMO.  There were meaningful differences between both the classes and the weapons, something very lacking in ME1.  Plays much better.

Thermal clips make more sense than ME1's magic heat sinks.

Seriously, the idea that any sort of heat sink could make a weapon go from "shut down to prevent damage from overheating" to "room temperature" in the space of a few seconds is ludicrous.  Thermal clips are far more believable.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Seriously, the idea that any sort of heat sink could make a weapon go from "shut down to prevent damage from overheating" to "room temperature" in the space of a few seconds is ludicrous.  Thermal clips are far more believable.

right.  highly efficient air/radiative cooling 200 years from now is reaching WAAAAAAYYYY to far.  let's violate thermodynamics instead.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

right.  highly efficient air/radiative cooling 200 years from now is reaching WAAAAAAYYYY to far.  let's violate thermodynamics instead.

violating how?
i really dont get physics...D:

Offline An4ximandros

The joke version of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics are:

You can't win, you can only break even.
You can only break even at absolute zero.
You can never reach absolute zero.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

violating how?

magically pumping all the heat into a little block and sealing it away there indefinitely.  the same flawed concept that popped up back in the 'stealth in space' thread we had not too long ago with "storing" the ship's heat in internal "reservoirs."

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

violating how?

magically pumping all the heat into a little block and sealing it away there indefinitely.  the same flawed concept that popped up back in the 'stealth in space' thread we had not too long ago with "storing" the ship's heat in internal "reservoirs."

I never tought about this...D:

LOL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
As I pointed out back then, it doesn't necessarily violate thermodynamics, though you'd think it should. Refrigeration cycles are a funny thing, and could be used so achieve a similar effect. Thermal insulation can also be quite effective. Of course, both have their limits, and I don't think they'd work on such a small scale.