Author Topic: Chess  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I kind of regret not knowing how to play chess.  I understand the rules and the movement of individual pieces, but I don't have the first clue about any of the general strategies one would require to win.  I tend to avoid board games if at all possible, so I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I used to love playing BattleChess...

Played a lot of Chessmaster on Gameboy back when we had 3(4?) colors of gray.

My strategy is to play 2 (better yet 3) moves ahead. Better known as before you touch
any piece, map out in your head if you move this - opponent has these options, but then
I can go here or there - then opponent has these options. That's 2 full moves of thinking.
If you can do 3, all the better.

Played chess since I was 3, finally got my father to a draw after a 2.5 hour game last month.  :D
It's only taken me 19 years to do that....   :lol:

While an interesting algorithm, you'll find it to be pointless in the long run. As you gain experience you'll see that in certain positions you won't need to calculate anything at all, while in other you may find yourself looking ahead some 10 moves. It really depends on the position at hand.

Discussing strategy without a specific position is pretty much pointless. Modern chess approaches pretty much emphasise this.

I know someone here plays chess on a more competitive level from a thread from a while back regarding the world open. Anyone care to reveal their rating (preferably FIDE)?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

I'm USCF 1517 and I recently beat a master in a club game

Not to brag, or anything, but actually I am bragging

I can even play a whole game blindfolded.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor