Author Topic: the inevitable newb question  (Read 8360 times)

the inevitable newb question
I was pointed here by the Underdogs copy of Freespace 2. How might I go about bringing the game up to normal condition?

I played and liked FS1, but somehow managed to miss FS2. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Check the HotU section of my FAQ. Should solve all your problems. Tell me if it doesn`t.

Oh and feel welcome to stay around the community. We are real friendly to new members :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Originally posted by karajorma
We are real friendly to new members :)

ROFL!

Oh, you crack me up.
:lol: :lol:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
If new members read the FAQ and are willing to be mature, then we welcome them with open arms. If you can write, code, FRED, or make 2D or 3D art, that's even better. :nod: Speaking coherently is always a bonus, too...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
So Free Terran does nay qualify, then?

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
Speaking coherently is a bonus. C'mon, it ain't that bad, at least he's understandable. Well, the gist of his posts... oh, wait, never mind.

Offline Nuclear1

Welcome to HLP.

Mostly, we are friendly people. Just watch out for the admins...
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

Thats one version of the welcome beam.
Welcome, I don't think I'd call us friendly, more like harsh but cuddly. :nervous:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
Harsh but cuddly? Like, a cross between a claymore (both mine and sword) and a teddybear? Damn... I think we need to add something to the welcome warning about this, someone might get hurt :S

Mommy, I'm scared... :shaking:

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by nuclear1
Mostly, we are friendly people. Just watch out for the admins...
Gee, thanks.

Originally posted by Vigilante
Mommy, I'm scared... :shaking:
Eh, they like to talk tough, but they're all toothless. :p
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
Talk tough? What do you mean? I'm trying to help you guys! The teddy bears are evil, dammit! One false step and boom! You either get a scotsman with a sword the size of his body, or you get blown up anti-personnel style with millions of shards of hot metal. Thankyou, have a nice day.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
So Free Terran does nay qualify, then?

Actually he was the main reason I said that. Ask yourself this. How many other boards would he have lasted this long on? Even without that whole theft of someone else's artwork a few weeks back, he would have probably been flamed to a crisp on most other boards.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Originally posted by karajorma
Even without that whole theft of someone else's artwork a few weeks back

When was this??:confused:
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Killfrenzy

When was this??:confused:

Few weeks ago.  Was from an artist website...real beautiful render.  Said he did it himself....but I won't bring it up any further.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
We gotta be able to get the game set up somewhere for download, a full game and such and such. That would be cool

Ahem... back to the important topic (that is. ME! :ick)...

Karajorma, I've nabbed the high res, music, voice, and 1.2 patch packs from your FAQ; I still need the anims and cinematics from somewhere. They are not on Kazaa as you suggested.

I also don't know what directories to put these files in, nor precisely how to use the .rar with the 1.2 patch files.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The .vp's go in the freespace directory (same as your other .vp's).
The files you`ll need to delete will be in the data folder (or it's sub-folders).

As for where to get the rest I`m not certain. Sometime you can find the tango's and sometimes it takes a while. They are available cause I know that I`m sharing them.

Hrm, digging out the duplicate dummy files looks unpleasant.

I guess I'll keep working kazaa for the tangos and such. Your faq doesn't mention the filenames of the cinematics, however.

Offline Exarch

If you can't unpack the .rar with the patch files, you can grab an unpacked version from the Official Site which you just have to download and run.

To find the directories for the files you need to delete, just remember that the .vp subdirectories have the exact same structure as the data folder subdirectories. If you have a file in stu_fs2.vp (voice data) under the personas directory, it'll be in the voice/personas subdirectory in your data folder if it exists and needs to be deleted. Now, going around deleting a that many files to make sure the ones in VPs are used can get tedious though, so if you have the harddisk space and want to get started quickly I'd suggest you to just copy the contents of each VP subdirectory into the appropriate data folder subdirectory, and simply let it overwrite any files with matching names.

Later on you'll want to do it the "right" way (so don't delete the VPs), since having the whole package in the data folder can cause trouble for mods (since they can't override non-VP stuff in the data directory), but by then it'll be much easier since you don't have to look in the VPs all the time, but can rather just delete any large files. Size tells them apart since the files that are there from the HotU installation are simply placeholders with no content, to keep FS2 from complaining when it looks for a voice, animation or other file and finds none.

[Edit] The cinematics are Intro.mve, Colossus.mve, Mono1.mve, Mono2.mve, Mono3.mve, Mono4.mve, Bastion.mve, Endpart1.mve, Endprt2A.mve and Endprt2B.mve.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2003, 06:18:53 pm by 1089 »