Author Topic: the inevitable newb question  (Read 8364 times)

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
the inevitable newb question
friendly huh tell that to stryke 9 he called me a noob even though i've been around since october i think

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You`ll be lucky if you can find the cutscenes on Kazaa as most people just leave them on the CD's. There is a transcript of all of the cutscenes in the Storyline section of my FAQ but that is a poor second to having the cutscenes themselves but I think that's probably the best you`ll get. I`ll try to put up the names of the cutscenes by this time tomorrow.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Okay, so these .vps are just like .paks for quake engine games. Still need to find the last few, though.

Do I need to unpack anything from the high resolution .vp?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I believe that one can be used as it is.

Ok another noob. Well noob-ish. I was on the ol' FDL for a while way back when and I've been lurking here for a bit having just dusted off FS and FS2 again due to complete and utter disillusionment with Freelancer

I noticed that some people seem to have difficulty with the HotU rip since the briefings fly past, having no sound to slow them down. It doesn't mention it in the FAQ but there is always the 'pause button' option then you can just step through the briefing stages with the 'next' arrow and have plenty of time to read. Click it once and it stays in that mode for the whole game btw. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
All of this would be so much easier if Interplay actually started selling FS2 white box editions.  Heck...just the CDs in a jewel case would be fantastic.  Sell em for $9.99...cash in on FreeLancer's success....it'd be great.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Amen to that. Honestly Freespace 2 has to be just about the most sought-after games on the used market (Just look at the prices on ebay if you don't believe me) and I for one would sure like some replacement discs. Mine are just nasty. This would be the perfect time to do it, too.

tell me about it, i've got an order for the withe label running at the local book(and multimedia) store, from last december, and i doubt i''ll ever get the full game. i have the voice, music, and some of the cb's, however.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Visionism
I noticed that some people seem to have difficulty with the HotU rip since the briefings fly past, having no sound to slow them down. It doesn't mention it in the FAQ but there is always the 'pause button' option then you can just step through the briefing stages with the 'next' arrow and have plenty of time to read. Click it once and it stays in that mode for the whole game btw. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Thanks for the pointer. I`ll add that to the FAQ too. :) I`d only heard about problems with the in game speech but yeah the briefings would whip past quickly too now I think about it. :)

Offline Razor

We are real friendly to new members

:wtf: :rolleyes: Indeed.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,318.0.html
I remember Stryke 9's first post here. Very friendly I must say. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 06:22:55 am by 581 »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
hmmm, i remember seeing a logitech attack force 2 and it included a copy of fs2 for free....
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Razor
I remember Stryke 9's first post here. Very friendly I must say. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Stryke 9
No suprise- we had fun chewing your face off there for longer than I think any FS3er has lasted!
Hey, he was only saying what we were all thinking

------------------
Diamond Geezer is currently reading the complete history of Middle-earth
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 06:51:43 am by 170 »

Originally posted by Turnsky
hmmm, i remember seeing a logitech attack force 2 and it included a copy of fs2 for free....

fs2 collusus, only half of the game, it does include some of the custscense, some of the voice, and the first CBani vp.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Razor

Originally posted by diamondgeezer

Hey, he was only saying what we were all thinking

All? :wtf:

Offline diamondgeezer

Yep, all. Sorry, but you're something of a joke round these parts. Although you did manage to reply in only one post this time - well done :)

--------------------
Diamond Geezer is a qualified first-aider
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 06:55:08 pm by 170 »

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Play nicely.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline diamondgeezer

You're telling me Razor doesn't deserve to be ridiculed?

---------------------
Diamond Geezer has been to known to stay awake for 48 hours straight

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
only in a few off topic situations.
with the exeption of the ocasional anti-American rant (though he does have legitimate grevences, unlike most) and missing the point of the ocasional joke he seems to be a fairly decent member of the comunity.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 01:00:49 am by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
You're telling me Razor doesn't deserve to be ridiculed?

wait,  he's being ridiculed? Exactly when did that happen? and why?

with the exeption of the ocasional anti-American rant

he and the rest of europe.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Bobboau
he seems to be a fairly decent member of the comunity.

You're having a bubbly bath

--------------------
Diamond Geezer says quitting Uni was the second smartest thing he ever did