Author Topic: Questions about FSO.  (Read 747 times)

Questions about FSO.
I still have my hard copies but they won't work for some odd reason, the CDs are good they just conflict with my computer I guess. I don't know if it's Windows 10 or if the hardware is causing it. I thought about buying it on GOG but it looks like that version uses a game pad or joystick. I want to use my mouse like I did when I played eons ago. Does this version allow it or is this one the same as GOG's?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Questions about FSO.
The GOG version (or the Steam one, for that matter) are identical to the CD versions in pretty much all aspects; they all support the same control schemes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Questions about FSO.
If by "this version" you mean FSO, yeah. Freespace Open does support playing with mouse, I do it all the time.

That said you need to understand that Freespace Open is a large partial redesign and improvement of the game engine, and it comes with new binaries and such. In order to install FSO (preferably via Knossos mod launcher and manager), you don't need to have the retail FS2 actually working or to buy the GoG version. Knossos requires only to have the nine .vp files present in retail FS2 in order to install FSO.

If you can install FS2 from your disks but not run it, Knossos should locate the needed files automatically.
If you can't install FS2 from the disks for some reason, you could also just open up the disks and copy over the nine .vp files from them to somewhere and then point Knossos to that directory.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.