Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2666942 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: A celebration of Freespace
What card would you guys reccomend, i've onlyu got £400 to spend though :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Right now both ati and nvidia are pretty good, i'd buy a high-end or mid-range card for with that ammount of money, most notably i'd buy a high-end card :D Geforce 7's are good, ati's stuff is good, i've heard people have odd feelings about the geforce 8's, but you should check as many benchmarks as you can from hardware reviewers on the cards you're interested in. See which one is the best, also that you like it, and buy it. That's how i went from wanting a geforce 6600, to a 6800, then i saw the 7600gt kick all geforce 6 series asses very nicely, it was in my price range and i got that. But yeah, i started out with a card i was initially interested in and checked mondo amounts of benchmarks from many hardware reviewers which new stuff versus the card i was interested in. Most notably i was also curious and wanted to find out more about the radeon x1600, it sucked ****, so i wanted a geforce 6600, and well i told the rest of the story already.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Darius

I'm very happy with my Geforce 8800GTX. At first I was worried it would overheat, but it's been running smoothly for me ever since I've had it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Do they have onboard fans? Coolings my biggest priority :D i dont want burn out my rig.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
What card would you guys reccomend, i've onlyu got £400 to spend though :nervous:

I don't know the price in € but I think you could have the latest ATI X2900 XT or the 8800 GTS 640 MB. However, just hope to have the proper motherboard to put PCI-Express GPU and not the AGP one.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I think it's safe to say that agp has died out finally.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I looked when I bouth my computer, I have an old Nvidia PCI vid card I used for Aces High when I played that, and on this computer is won't fit in the PCIE slot. So I left it in the old computer and ramed it togeather on my oldest son's desk :) Now I need a PCIE card, Anybody need a really old agp card?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I think it's safe to say that agp has died out finally.

agp will never die!!!!! neveeeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!! :drevil:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I looked when I bouth my computer, I have an old Nvidia PCI vid card I used for Aces High when I played that, and on this computer is won't fit in the PCIE slot. So I left it in the old computer and ramed it togeather on my oldest son's desk :) Now I need a PCIE card, Anybody need a really old agp card?

This reminds of when some people see a pci card plug into one place, then when it's removed they try to plug that pci card into an isa slot (this was back in the day) :lol: It's all good though, i had a lady on the phone yesterday who wanted me to plug in an external hard drive and convert (backup) all of her files onto it, after that i was to install winxp onto her cpu (her main rig is what she meant by "cpu"). Aside from absolutely horrible terminology about backing up her stuff onto an external hard drive which at least was intelligible, when she said that she wanted winxp on her cpu, lets just say i was ready with my winxp cd to sell her, super glue, and i would pop out her cpu...and well, she'd have winxp on her cpu if you know what i mean :lol:

I'm ok with peoples bad computer lingo, but what does confuse me sometimes is when people refer to their whole rig as the "cpu". It just gets me to thinking, ok so they're just going to bring me their processor? Anyway, aside from her bad use of computer lingo, she did come up with a battle plan and knew exactly what she wanted done. Hmmm, i need to give her a price on winxp, hell she's not getting that for free. I no longer use my winxp as it has only been installed once on my machine and not installed on anyone elses, and is still currently uninstalled. Prime candidate for someome elses machine to have a legal copy though :)

SMBFD

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm ok with peoples bad computer lingo, but what does confuse me sometimes is when people refer to their whole rig as the "cpu".

I've seen places teach you to call the case a CPU before when they are teaching basic recognition of hardware. Monitor, Printer, Scanner, CPU. So it might not be that she's dumb or gotten the wrong idea so much as that she was taught by someone or from a book that used that stupid terminology.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I got that in my computer class at college... but my prof also didn't quite have a handle on some things... eg, he didn't know that "format c: /q /s" could be used instead of "format c: /q" and then "sys c:".... the format wasn't working, and he thought that my use of /q /s was to blame.  Well, that didn't bug me much, I just did it his way, and it still didn't work; he then got a new computer for me to work on.  :D

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Well from my stand point, cpu is pretty descriptive about that chip that is your central processing unit that's on all of our motherboards. Sort of like how gpu is pretty descriptive about that chip that stamped onto all of our video cards to do the graphics processing. Places that teach people to call their whole computer hard drive and all the cpu is just asking for trouble and confusion and is not good practice to teach people this.

One thing i predict is that a beginner computer user will be astounded that they have 2 cpu's, and i don't mean dual core, i mean their whatever processor they have, and the whole rig...if this is what people desire by teaching people to call their whole rig the cpu i can easily see a situation like this happening. It's just asking for trouble using stuff incorrectly mindlessly.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ya.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well from my stand point, cpu is pretty descriptive about that chip that is your central processing unit that's on all of our motherboards. Sort of like how gpu is pretty descriptive about that chip that stamped onto all of our video cards to do the graphics processing. Places that teach people to call their whole computer hard drive and all the cpu is just asking for trouble and confusion and is not good practice to teach people this.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying why someone can be moderately computer literate and still call their case a CPU. I'm only going by what you said but it seems like this woman was smart enough to understand the value of backing up the system partition and also smart enough not to be asking for Vista. :lol:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jambo

• Lord
I call this one "Owned"

pity I had to JPEG it, cause the PNG has so much more detail!

You call this "owned"? So... What would you call THIS:

? :D

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:wtf:

And the FPS?

Well... 8xAA and 16xAF and 6-25 FPS in this scene  :)
But that's not only because of the beams... No... The highest Performance-Impact is caused by the four Colossus-Ships (many Sub-Objects etc.) that are fireing their beams against the four Orion-Class Destroyers.
It's the only scene in this mission, where they fire this many beams...
(Just to clarify this: Yes, I "tweaked" the Colossus-Class-Ships. I LOVE tweaking ships/weapons/whatever in games... And YES, sometimes I'm tweaking just a little bit too much ;) But it's fun...)

Offline jambo

• Lord
I would call that overkill :lol:

And you can see in his pics that his FPS is 13, 13 and 6!

* Dark Hunter is astonished Maniac's computer didn't explode.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"