Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613999 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: What are you playing right now?
Hence the need to bribe me :) - I like to help to keep friends who need a little distraction from the home office sane,  but the alternatives are a bit slim (I refuse to play Ubi Tom Clancy games, for example) and Destiny 2 turns out to be an easy common denominator.

Destiny sucks

Are you even allowed to say that? ;)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
When I heard about Destiny 2, I asked myself "How come I never heard of Destiny 1?" I still don't have an answer for that. And that disturbs me because Destiny 1 has Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres (not one but two actors from Firefly!) as well as Peter Dinklage, Peter Stormare and Bill Nighy as voice actors. How did I not hear about this awesomeness? :confused: :nervous: :confused:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
i mean, ignoring the actors, it really is a surprise considering how much marketing destiny wasted-- i mean, used. did you, by chance, visited a cave?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
i mean, ignoring the actors, it really is a surprise considering how much marketing destiny wasted-- i mean, used. did you, by chance, visited a cave?

I think living in a cave would have been more likely to prevent me from learning about Destiny 1, rather than visiting one. But to answer your question, I visited a cave once maybe 25 years ago. There were stalactites and stalagmites and everything. There were even pools of limestone water! :eek:

But Destiny 1's wasted marketing-- I mean, that sounds like Freespace: a video game with amazing potential that sold poorly because not enough people knew or found out about its awesomeness.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Destiny sucks
To be fair (to beh faaaaaaaih) he said Destiny 2, which as I've heard, doesn't suck

It sucks!

Peter Dinklage

Mr Peter "there's a wizard on the moon" dinklage, did not do a great job. If you've watched The Room. Then I'm sure you can use your imagination of what he sounded like.

Megaman Z/ZX Collection crashed twice on installation, other than that it's pretty good. The Save-Assist function is great for people who hate how the Megaman Zero live system worked. Zero is a great spinoff from the X series, with Z3 being perhaps in the top 3 contender seat for best game to ever come out of that franchise. The ZX series being included is good, if you're into those. I don't think Megaman/Metroidvania is a good fit for the series. But it's there if you want it. There's not much that I can say bad about it except some minor graphical glitches from scaling the sprites, and that I paid for a remix soundtrack that I can't even listen seperately from the game.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Was that the one on PS4?

I've been tempted but have a huge backlog so can't justify the price..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I started playing Vampyr tonight, and it's maaaybe a little too intense for me right now.

Like, it's set in the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, so ... yeah.  I forgot that, and that's kind of the running coronavirus comparison right now, so that's a lot on its own.

But also, the player character attempts suicide in a very early scene, which could have done with a content warning and not required the player to pull the trigger though a button prompt.  That button prompt felt beyond the pale.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I finished Dragon Age Origins and all the expansions for the first time. It has lots of great moments and companions, but the overall plot is a bit too cliche and the traditional dice-rolling RPG combat gets tedious after a while. The Darkspawn are not nearly as cool as Reapers, but I liked how many of the main quests (the Orzammar king, Elves vs wolves, etc.) don't have clear good or bad choices and you have to weigh the tradeoffs of decisions you make. The game forces you to make an especially tough decision near the end, choosing between Alistair and Loghain. I don't know yet how that impacts the later games. A few mods improve the game a lot, like one that lets you reskill characters.

I'm also replaying several FS campaigns, includiing BTA, Shrouding the Light, BP: WiH, and some others. I love that final mission in WiH Part 2, which makes it clear that the Vishnans are not just "good guys" and have their own agenda (which was my sense all along when I first played BP:AoA). I'll need to work on updating PI to the latest media VPs at some point. It seems the media VP table structure has changed yet again and broken some things, although the campaign still works with the older media VPs.

I also picked up the recent Torment game. I'm a huge fan of the old PS:T but this game has very mixed reviews. For $10 on GoG, I figured it was worth trying out.

Was that the one on PS4?

I've been tempted but have a huge backlog so can't justify the price..

The collection? It's multiplatform. It's good if you already like the games it has.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Megaman and the X series are major parts of my console library, said consoles just don't work and I CBA to replace them.

Storm eagle was my ringtone for about 3 years 😂🦅🦅
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

It seems like this is the year of the remaster with Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7, Doom and more all getting fresh new deals.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
RE 3 is the weakest of the original 3 though 😱😱
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
To be fair (to beh faaaaaaaih) he said Destiny 2, which as I've heard, doesn't suck

It sucks!

Destiny 2 has convinced me that Bungie does not have any broader vision for the game or how to keep things interesting. They continuously make the same mistakes and relearn the same lessons over and over again. There's no real challenge and nothing to really compel any continuous engagement beyond ticking a box. I picked it back up just before Shadowkeep, played through that, then right as the past season started I went into exams and stopped playing, and I never felt any desire to pick it back up. I just didn't care--and I stuck with Destiny 1 throughout its life cycle (even the bad old days of vanilla). It just all felt pointless.

What doesn't feel pointless, on the other hand, is Doom Eternal. Holy **** id knocked it out of the park on this one. Finished my first run through on Ultra-Violence the other day and it was incredible. I've seen some comments to the effect that Eternal is closer to a fighting game or a character action game than a typical FPS, and I kind of agree. They've managed to create a system where the player is not only expected, but forced to make use of every tool and mechanic available, and it works.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think live service games are a trap. The developers are miserable. The players are miserable. Nobody is getting the game they want. Everyone on both sides is grinding. It’s a mess.

Megaman and the X series are major parts of my console library, said consoles just don't work and I CBA to replace them.

Storm eagle was my ringtone for about 3 years 😂🦅🦅

He's probably one of, if not the most popular Maverick in that game for a reason. Anyway. They're pretty good. Was a pretty high price for me in Australia.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I got around to play Her Story (PC)
Interesting way to use FMV, though it's still one of those games that is best to go in blind like I did.

Started Tomb Raider 3: Adventures of Lara Croft (PC)
As for the second installment I play with widescreen fixes and supersampling cranked up to 8x.
I'm not exactly sure what the plot is supposed to be about, according to the intro there is something in Antarctica but for now the first level seems just to be Lara Croft in an Indian lost temple for reasons of her own with body of waters inexplicably teeming with piranhas (I mean, it's India, couldn't they have used alligators or something instead?).
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I think live service games are a trap. The developers are miserable. The players are miserable. Nobody is getting the game they want. Everyone on both sides is grinding. It’s a mess.

Playing them is burger and fries right now, and if burger and fries is keeping someone sane who is not used to the sense of isolation that comes with working at home, I will make a burger and fries.

It's not like I am using my downtime from that to make what I want ... oh but I do.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

After pressing through the rough opening section, I'm still playing Vampyr.  I'm enjoying the story and the significance that NPCs and dialogue play throughout the game--you're actually heavily incentivized to learn about the people you meet and to explore their stories.  The combat is kind of 'meh,' with random encounters being too frequent in non-fallen districts.

On the subject of districts falling, I also rather like the balancing act of trying to keep people healthy from night to night.  It can be a lot of running around, but you are a doctor, and there is an epidemic sweeping the city.  There's also a push-and-pull of who to chomp on and who to keep alive for the health of the district.  Like, there's a ****ty landlord in Whitechapel who deserves to die, but his blood is trash, and it's just not worth the broader health impact on the district.

(Mao would have enjoyed this game; all the landlords are ****ty.  Almost as ****ty as real landlords come to think of it.)

Also, having now picked up a saber, I can deploy the line, in my best fake Sean Connery voice, "IT BEGAN WITH A DAMN 'S'!"

And when I need something a little less intense, I've also got a new world running in Minecraft.  So far, I've only carved a ~3km path from my spawn to a village, where I'm setting up shop in earnest.  Got a house going up on what looked like a deliberately outlined vacant lot.  I kind of want to get a Roman-era city thing going, where I build up a defensive wall, expand the town beyond the wall's capacity, then build up a larger outer wall, expand, etc.

I hadn't realized it, but I guess I've got a theme of urbanization going with my game preferences at the moment.  Huh.

https://twitter.com/AeornFlippout/status/1244704324221046785

Anybody play Race the Sun?
How about any of the Starfox games?

What if you used the Race the Sun engine to make a Starfox-alike?