Author Topic: Particle trail script  (Read 54825 times)

Offline m!m

Re: Particle trail script
another idea I have is generating particles when a specific type of weapon hits, the particles would generate from the hull of the ship flying outwards to space, with option to adjust speed, life, spread... I'm not sure how possible it is to make the generating point stick on the ship where the weapon impacted...
can be used to have smoke and fire emmit for a few seconds/minutes after a ship got hit by a massive warhead
That would be possible but a major problem I see is that there is no possibility to get
  • the "real" impact position (only the position of the weapon at the end of the frame)
  • the impact normal-vector to create particles that move "relative" to the angle of the polygon where the weapon impacted
This information is available but adding the required functions to the scripting interface is something I can't do with my very limited C++ experience :(

Offline Nighteyes

I also just tested the +Fixed Size, and it looks like its only implemented on the ship particles, and not(more importantly) on the trail particles, can it also be added on trail particles please?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I coulda sworn we already had a script that does that.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline m!m

I also just tested the +Fixed Size, and it looks like its only implemented on the ship particles, and not(more importantly) on the trail particles, can it also be added on trail particles please?
Link in first post updated, should be working now :nod:

I coulda sworn we already had a script that does that.
That does what?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If it's in reference to engine trails, there was something shown on the celebration thread with a Lao'Tze before WiH was released for particles emitted with afterburner enabled, but it never went past those screenshots. At least I imagine that's what is being mentioned.

Offline m!m

Ah I remember that. I never thought about that but it seems that it does exactly what this script does :lol:

Offline Nighteyes

I tested the fixed size for the trail particles and it still doesnt work :/
also for reference of impact particles maybe you can take a look at the code that generates the small particles when you fire on a ship? the script im asking for does exactly that, just with option to use different effects other than particlesmoke01, with size and amount of particles...

Offline m!m

I uploaded a new version where the fixed size should work.
Also I know exactly where the needed information is saved but I just don't have the coding ability to add the needed interface functions :blah:

Can someone upload the script please? the link in the first page is dead.
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline m!m

I already uploaded a new version of the script only to notice that it required a custom FSO build. I already posted the patch to be committed to SVN so please wait until the patch has been committed :nod:

Ok m!m i'll wait for the green light!
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline Luis Dias

How are the explosions right now? Still one single salvo of multiple trails, or is there a more complex beautiful design?

Offline m!m

How are the explosions right now? Still one single salvo of multiple trails, or is there a more complex beautiful design?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean with "more complex beautiful design" but think I must disappoint you as I haven't changed anything but you can create quite complex effects by stacking multiple effects on top of each other and adding custom time offsets and lengths. :nod:

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, I thought of that as well. It sucks that I understand zip about these script things. They don't seem overtly complicated however (at least to read them and to make some copy pastes :)). When I get the time, I would enjoy tweaking them to my own pleasure, and I'll ask for help then ;). Anyways, lots of amazing possibilities arise due to this awesomeness, so thanks!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I already uploaded a new version of the script only to notice that it required a custom FSO build. I already posted the patch to be committed to SVN so please wait until the patch has been committed :nod:

Patch is in as of revision 7354.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

Thank you very much :)

EDIT: First post updated with new link
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:02:58 pm by m!m »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
One complaint about documentation. The code for defining custom config files is split between two pages, making copypasting it impractical.

Offline Luis Dias

I'm ready to lose my virginity on scripts. Is there any kind of written guidelines where I should start, i.e., where should I download the scripts (I mean, where should I put them, how should I arrange them), how they work (heads up), etc.? Or is there an intended vacuum to prevent noobs like me to **** up their installation?

Offline m!m

I'm ready to lose my virginity on scripts. Is there any kind of written guidelines where I should start, i.e., where should I download the scripts (I mean, where should I put them, how should I arrange them), how they work (heads up), etc.? Or is there an intended vacuum to prevent noobs like me to **** up their installation?
When I started to do lua scripting I read through this wiki page but I don't know if the tutorial is still up to date.

One complaint about documentation. The code for defining custom config files is split between two pages, making copypasting it impractical.
I'll upload an updated version later today :nod:
EDIT: Done :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:05:54 am by m!m »

i can't wait for the nightly to be released :D
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"