Author Topic: Hard-core Descent fan but can't get it to run on XP? Try D2X-XL!  (Read 7420 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:39:27 pm by jr2 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: Hard-core Descent fan but can't get it to run on XP? Try D2X-XL!
You evidently haven't seen this thread. :D

Offline Davros

one thing ive noticed is that when you quit the game its still loaded in memory
you have to bring up task manager and end process

Oddly, I have that X-XL thing, and D2 still doens't work right.

Two problems: game runs too fast, and it doesn't recognize any sound cards...

Now do you putl D2 on the machine after installing X-XL? Or before? Cause I put D2 on first...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Quick question: are you sure that you're running the D2X-XL .exe instead of the original D2 .exe?

Well, this happened like six months ago so I couldn't tell you.  :D

I still have the X-XL stuff saved on my comp, I'm willing to try it again.
Is there a similiar thing for the original Descent? I like that game better, and I'd love to be able to get rid of the junk heap computer that plays it now.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
d2xxl works fine over here, just remember to create new pilot files with each version.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You evidently haven't seen this thread. :D
Yes I have... I just couldn't find it... must have used the wrong search key.  :(  Oh well.

I still have the X-XL stuff saved on my comp, I'm willing to try it again.

Delete it (the program stuff, not the textures, etc.) and re-download... it's much better now (bug fixes, etc)
Is there a similiar thing for the original Descent? I like that game better, and I'd love to be able to get rid of the junk heap computer that plays it now.

Woot!  you just have to copy your Descent 1 data into the same folder as D2X-XL (or into its data directory, if you have  it set up that way) and it will play... just make sure you have checked on the bottom of the launch screen, to play both D1 missions as well as D2 missions... you can even play some of the other releases, I forget their names, but I think it was called Descent: Vertigo or something like that.  Hmm, would it be okay for me to upload my working D2X-XL folder to filefront for you to d'l?
Quick question: are you sure that you're running the D2X-XL .exe instead of the original D2 .exe?
Good point... you must use the d2x-xl.exe to load, not the descent2 exe.

one thing ive noticed is that when you quit the game its still loaded in memory
you have to bring up task manager and end process
You must have an old version, download a new one... I don't have that problem, haven't for a long time.

Also worth noting:
Quote from: http://www.descent2.de/index.html
Breaking News   

D2X-XL Stable Release Is Dead

I would like to inform everybody that for some reason Zach Briggs and his team from Core Decision have not been able to live up to his promise to do PR and testing of D2X-XL and reliably and regularly provide stable releases of the program. The current stable release is completely outdated and will not be supported by the D2X-XL team. The links have been removed.
So use the newest release, which is usually pretty stable, much like FS SCP.  :) ;)

d2xxl works fine over here, just remember to create new pilot files with each version.
Never had to, except maybe once... problem with the stable release, maybe?  The current release is 1.9.102, see http://www.descent2.de/d2x-history.html

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Another possibility is the DXX-Rebirth project, which has releases for both D1 and D2.  It's more targeted toward retaining the classic "feel" of the games while improving stability.  I can vouch for D1X-R, at least, as working very well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Another possibility is the DXX-Rebirth project, which has releases for both D1 and D2.  It's more targeted toward retaining the classic "feel" of the games while improving stability.  I can vouch for D1X-R, at least, as working very well.
:p :lol: Well, how about the -nostalgia 3 switch on D2X-XL?  ;)
And, other than a few bugs (which I reported and were quickly fixed), I haven't had problems, except for a few that were fixed almost before I discovered them... There's a new release out at least once every few days... BTW, v. 1.9.103 is now out :D

BTW, they also have versions for Mac OS X and Linux, too. :)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Linux version is crap just by the by... it's the hardest thing to install ever

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The Linux version is crap just by the by... it's the hardest thing to install ever
:lol: Well, I haven't seen any Linux install go easy anyways... (prolly 'cause I'm dumb :p ), which is why I use stupid Windows.  Linux, every time I crash it, I have to re-install the whole thing, 'cause I don't know how to find the config file that I screwed up in the GUI, and even if I did, I don't know how the settings are supposed to be, or what I changed.
If the Linux version is hard to install, someone needs to go create a good installer for it.  Volunteers?  :D ;)

Tried out the newer version, and yippee! it is working.  :D

I'll install old Descent 1 levels later... can't wait to try out the GELD's levels with a decent joystick! And harder AI!  :nervous:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Tried out the newer version, and yippee! it is working.  :D

Great!!  Now if you run into any other Descent fans, you know where to send'm!  :)

EDIT: 1.9.105 is now out.
EDIT2: 1.9.106 ...
EDIT3: 1.9.143 ... :D

Hey, is there any chance of drafting this guy to work with the SCP?  Maybe in exchange for some of the modellers to fix the shadow problem with the hi-res Pyro or something?  He seems like a regular coding machine or something...  :lol: :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:52:46 pm by jr2 »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I keep looking at the manual and the screen I'm getting looks nothing like it.  The new menus aren't showing up at all.  That, and -fullscreen doesn't actually work, and the lovely screenshot where the old crappy cockpit is turned out doesn't appear to be replicable... or, at least, I can't get it to work.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you've got the latest version, then that appears to be a problem with your d2x.ini (located in the \config directory usually).
Remove the semicolon ( ; ) from the beginning of the line that says
Code: [Select]
;-fullscreenOr, better yet,
rename your d2x.ini to d2x.ini.bak or something similar, or move it to another directory on your system
Download mine & put it in your \config directory
(See attachment, rename it from d2x.ini.txt to d2x.ini)
To rename it, open a cmd window (start - run, type cmd , press enter)
then, type in the letter of the drive where you saved my file followed by a colon, eg:
C:then press Enter
then type
cd \games\d2x-xlreplacing \games\d2x-xl with your pathname to my file
then type
ren d2x.ini.txt d2x.iniand press Enter
Hopefully, this will take care of several of your problems.  To find out the differences between the two files, in a cmd prompt window, with both of the files (your renamed one, and mine) in the same directory, type in
fc /L d2x.ini.bak d2x.iniYou can also specify pathnames if the files are in different directories, eg
fc /L c:\games\d2x-xl\backup\d2x.ini c:\games\d2x-xl\config\d2x.ini
[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:11:05 pm by jr2 »

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
What is so hard about

sh autogen.sh
./configure
make

?

Please post bug reports, feature and support requests in the trackers on http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/d2x-xl where I will notice them!