Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"  (Read 373685 times)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Re: Kerbal Space Program or "Rocket science is harder than it looks"

<shatner>

These... are the voyages of the Star Ship Dekker... Its five year mission:... to seek out new life forms down at the pub... and shag the living daylights out of them...

</shatner>

You know I kind of like that :lol:
Habeeb it...

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
My latest challenges/accomplishments (all Vanilla parts, of course):

1. Space Tourism! Load up on "passenger" parts (extra SAS modules in this case) and get into orbit and back with the passengers. As a bonus feat, I landed my rocket within a mile or so of the launchpad: once around the planet and back to the parking lot.

2. Reusable vehicle! Get into orbit and back without jettisoning ANYTHING! I present the Tantalus Mk1, with which I was able to do exactly that:

Haven't tried to make a Tantalus for a moon trip yet, but I expect it would have to be pretty humungous...

Offline newman

Haven't tried to make a Tantalus for a moon trip yet, but I expect it would have to be pretty humungous...

It would. It comes to a point of TWR being really problematic to balance out. I made my own "Lunar Flyer" that gets there without any staging whatsoever. It can land on the Mun with a bit of extra fuel to spare, but it can't get back. I suppose it could be a reusable Mun Base supply / passenger vehicle, that would get refueled on the Mun after landing. But it was more about me playing with the design, the ship would never be economical or efficient. Plus, once we get atmo friction and reentry heat humongous ships that can actually land back will become problematic.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline crizza

OMG, I just made my first trip to the Mun, but my attempts are pretty clumsy.
My max altitude was about 70k miles...and I was lucky to hit Mun on my way down...
But although I decelerated, I crashed into Muns surface cause I was on the dark side and didn't know the distance towards it^^

Offline watsisname

Haha, attempting to land blindly on the Munar darkside.  Now that's how REAL Kerbonauts do it! :) 

"Screw the altimeter, I can FEEL the surface!"  -Jeb's last words
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Challenge time!

Single-stage to the Mun and back again! :lol:

This kind of stuff is what makes KSP awesome - setting ridiculous goals, and then doing them... usually involving new and exciting failure modes.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline watsisname

Challenge time!

Single-stage to the Mun and back again! :lol:

This kind of stuff is what makes KSP awesome - setting ridiculous goals, and then doing them... usually involving new and exciting failure modes.

Seriously though, good luck to you, sir!  Post results, especially the hilarious ones!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, actually I don't think it would be much of a challenge if I decided to use C-7 aviation pack parts... :nervous:

Stock parts, might be a tad harder. Or with Challenger parts, or with NovaPunch... I'll see what I can manage.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well... my first attempt, at least it made it to orbit...

Jebediah approves of the design of this ship. It is made of rockets, and fuel tanks. Well it does have a bit of structure on the top. And an advanced SAS module to provide guidance via vectored main thrusters.

However, Bill and Bob were not so enthusiastic about the design flaw that exhibited itself once the craft was already at orbit - the stack prongs oscillated too much, with not enough damping, and as a result... well...

I am still in orbit. Safe return is doubtful, but I expect re-entry sequence to provide quite a bit of amusement...

Offline crizza

Haha, attempting to land blindly on the Munar darkside.  Now that's how REAL Kerbonauts do it! :) 

"Screw the altimeter, I can FEEL the surface!"  -Jeb's last words
THe altimeter showed me the distance to Kerbin....and I was too lazy to calculate, so I fired the engines at the last possible moment and I realy flinched as the rocket suddenly landed quite spectacular...with a big bang  :D
And they realy should add something like heat during reentry, cause on another mission my Kerbonauts plummeted into the atmosphere with around 3000ms and the shute simply decided to leave to capsule...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
The saga continues...

De-orbit burn completed, descending into lower atmosphere, plenty of fuel in reserve.

Somehow, Bill and Bob are not re-assured by this.

Thrusters engaged for the final braking and touchdown.

They produce an impressive amount of water vapour. Jebediah comments how the obscured visibility was never a problem before, going up.

Vertical speed killed. Jebediah comments: "Hey guys this might actually work!"

Note: Landing on an incline is not recommended.

Mission Control was quite astonished, but not as much as Bill and Bob. Jebediah just wants to do it again as soon as possible.

Bill and Bob are insisting, however, that future vehicles be fitted with at least one decoupler and parachute for the capsule. Kerbal Space Control is currently debating whether this idea has merit.

...aaand yeah heat management has not been taken into consideration. At all.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive been doing a lot of ships with more powerful non-gimballed engines with only a couple small gimballed engines for stabilization. it seems to work quite well. better now that we can link tanks so they run out of fuel at the same time.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
haha look at that they survived!
well no matter what, you must admit the capsule is quite resilient (if you follow the direction printed on the side that says: "this side up").
el hombre vicio...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken