Author Topic: "The Best Of FreeSpace 2" Project  (Read 10505 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
"The Best Of FreeSpace 2" Project
Ok, I am sitting around thinking about stuff tonight - and I realized that there are some mods out there that many would consider some of the "Best of FreeSpace 2" that I've never played.   _MANY_ People have never played them.

A simple solution came to my mind: a big package of the BEST MODS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be four Categories in the "Best of FreeSpace 2"

Category 1: Completed Mods that do not use any SCP features
Category 2: Completed Mods that support the SCP
Category 3: Up-and coming mods [incomplete ones that look like they're going to become all stars]
Category 4: Iteratively versioned mods - ie mods that are not "released all at once" - but in stages

note: completed means they are certified final release (All episodes released, etc) - this disqualifies The Babylon Project unfortunately -  hence why category 4 exists. --

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also need to elect a judging panel - and since I came up with the idea I reserve the right to lead that panel.  Panel Nominations will take place in THIS THREAD the four most nominated people that are willing to put time into this project will be the board members.  If those board members wish we can add more members from the nomination list as needed.

Once the Judging Panel is assembled we will have mods nominated for the categories above - the top 15 to 20 mods from each category will be judged - and the best ones will be put into Mod Packs.  To use the mod packs you will be required to have the SCP executeable  - primarily for using the "mod" subsystem so you can have all the mods simultaenously installed without problems - but also because many of the new features automatically improve the visuals without requiring special data from the mod authors.

The category 4 mod pack will be updated from time to time to reflect changes.

Mods in category 3 will be judged when released - if they pass they will be added to the mod pack of the proper category.

The mods in the package will be placed in VPs when possible. This saves harddrive space, enables easier install/uninstall/update.  So all the main game data will be in vp files - naming convention to be determined possible "BoFS2-[modname]-[subpack]-[version].vp" - so Derelict would be BoFS2-Derelict-Core-1_0.vp and BoFS2-Derelict-Sound-1_0.vp for example [just pulled names outta my head there].

Updates will be available as patches - via the same NSIS installer tempate I wrote for The Babylon Project.  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOMINATE YOUR CANDIDATES FOR THE JUDGING PANEL
you cannot nominate yourself, sorry

Nominations posted between now and October 2nd will be considered as valid
this time period is subject to extension at my descretion

I personally nominate
Venom
Styxx
Tolwyn
IceFire
Bobboau
Snipes (Raa Tor'h)
Inquisitor

and there are some others that if their names came to mind right now I'd nominate.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 01:37:40 am by 30 »
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'd also suggest that this post be stickied.  Something else I was thinking about as far as the Modpack is concerned.  You were a bit unclear as to whether the modpack would include the entire download for each winning mod, or whether the pack would instead contain a few select missions from each mod... kind of a sampler.  In addition, perhaps you could make this a periodic event, say 1, 2, or 4 times a year.  It might even push some mods in progress to get their work done so that they can come out in time to qualify... kind of like the way movies will try to make it for a certain date to qualify for an Oscar.  Hey, you could even have an award image that winning mods can place on their main page.  You could even (eventually) have categories like "Most promissing mod or campaign by a first time designer." :D

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Stuck, I'm curious to see where this leads...

I think it has real potential - but perhaps you shouldn't get ahead of yourself with the SCP. I *do* speak for myself when I say that as an end user I'd rather have a fully polished, working, set of mods than some that are kinda buggy WIPs like the SCP is right now. (However as a modder I'm more than happy to play with the SCP at the moment.. heh).

Just chucking the idea up. I love the idea of mod packages as they are a great way to draw new folk into whats going on around here.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Originally posted by Kalfireth
Stuck, I'm curious to see where this leads...

I think it has real potential - but perhaps you shouldn't get ahead of yourself with the SCP. I *do* speak for myself when I say that as an end user I'd rather have a fully polished, working, set of mods than some that are kinda buggy WIPs like the SCP is right now. (However as a modder I'm more than happy to play with the SCP at the moment.. heh).

Just chucking the idea up. I love the idea of mod packages as they are a great way to draw new folk into whats going on around here.

the SCP is really only required if you want convient mod management - if you really want to avoid the SCP [just like i want to avoid buggy mods] then you can use the whole rename/folder/copy files thing going on - and i could theorectically rig up FreeSpace 2 Package Manager (yeah.... haven't heard much about that program since i wrote it ages ago!) definitions that work it automatically.... atleast i think i can without rewriting code.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I would rather use the new launcher.

You know you can actually run the old FS2.exe too.
BTW 3.5 is a quite stabile build, with the exception of multiplayer and the movies in mve format which were ommited.
Since this is a mod pack I doubt anyone would be making mve files for their own campaign, and you can't play mods online anyway, only SCP will allow you to do that.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Originally posted by Flaser
I would rather use the new launcher.

You know you can actually run the old FS2.exe too.
BTW 3.5 is a quite stabile build, with the exception of multiplayer and the movies in mve format which were ommited.
Since this is a mod pack I doubt anyone would be making mve files for their own campaign, and you can't play mods online anyway, only SCP will allow you to do that.

the "-mod" feature isn't in FS2 1.2 - only in FS2 Open

MVEs will never return - we have AVI support not
Multiplayer is almost comleted
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 11:14:13 am by 30 »

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
sounds good idea:) :yes:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
ok... so start nominating candidates already!

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
i nominate these

Styxx
Tolwyn
IceFire
Bobboau
Snipes (Raa Tor'h)
Inquisitor
Galactic Emperor
Woomeister
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 11:58:23 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

i like the idea a lot, and i nominate Setekh and Inquisitor.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lynx

I nominate:

Tolwyn:yes:
IceFire:yes:
Inquisitor:yes:
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I think it would be quite good if someone could post which mods the different persons are working on...because I have a very very bad namememory.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
that would be helpful

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, I am working mainly on Wing Commander Saga (and on a few other mods, but since they are not for FS2, this fact has no importance)...

Greetings Tolwyn
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*waits for his completed mod to be nominated*

:nervous:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
*waits for his completed mod to be nominated*

:nervous:

isn't it already done? :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
But I fit under Category 2...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

But I fit under Category 2...

But this thread is for Panel Nominations, so you need to wait for the actual MOD Nominations thread or whatever.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
*sighs*  The deadline has been extended to when ever I think enough people have replied to this thread for it to be accurate!

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Well since the others dosn't tell me what they are doing I nominate the only one I know closer ->

Tolwyn from WC Saga
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"