Author Topic: Choppy Graphics With FSO Launched from Knossos  (Read 634 times)

Choppy Graphics With FSO Launched from Knossos
Hello,
Wondering if someone can point in some direction here.

-Downloaded and installed GOG Copy of FS 2. When I configure and run FS 2 from GOG Galaxy or Freespace2.exe from the GOG Games folder it runs fine in 1024x768 with the "High" Detail default settings.

-Downloaded and installed Knossos. Selected FS Port and FS Port Media VPS and Freespace Upgrade Media VPS 4.6 which all installed to Knossos correctly.

-In Knossos settings set video up w/ 1024x768 16 bit depth and Bilinear filtering.

-When I run either FS Port (Regular) OR FS Port Media VPS with even "Low" detail settings the graphics are extremely choppy/stuttering. It's almost like it doesn't detect my 3d card or something but I can't find an .exe to play around with. Just the settings in Knossos itself which I outlined above.

Any tips/ideas?

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: Choppy Graphics With FSO Launched from Knossos
What have you got for hardware? Basically any modern computer should be able to eat the original retail FS2 from Gog no problem, but FSO's rendering updates and the mediaVPs both require more juice to run. Knowing your hardware would help us know where to start in troubleshooting.

Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Hardware:

Dell Laptop
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
6GB Ram
Intel Core i3-5015U CPU 2.10 GHz
Display Adapter: Intel HD Graphics 5500

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Uninstall every advanced MediaVP file.

It simply could be, that your Display Adapter is too slow or has not enough memory for the Advanced Graphic Effects.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

"Uninstall every advanced MediaVP file.

It simply could be, that your Display Adapter is too slow or has not enough memory for the Advanced Graphic Effects."

Are you talking about selecting "Uninstall" from Knossos on everything except the basic FS Port or are you referring to going through the Knossos folder and deleting specific files?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Uninstall the mediavps using knossos bud.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Before you try removing things, open the settings for whatever build you're using (in the mod menu, this is under Options > FSO Settings), click the pull-down menu option for "Game Speed," and check the box for "Disable Vertical Sync". Save your settings and see if this helps.

If things are still choppy, also try checking the boxes for "Disable post-processing" and "Disable deferred lighting" in the Graphics menu.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hardware:

Dell Laptop
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
6GB Ram
Intel Core i3-5015U CPU 2.10 GHz
Display Adapter: Intel HD Graphics 5500

The problem here is that current FSO, with the current mediavps, has system requirements that far exceed the capabilities of this CPU and its GPU. A dedicated GPU and more than 8GB of RAM are both things that are no longer really optional; your only option to get the game closer to playable would be to go back to an older version of the mediavps.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns